FWB FWB65

I once had over 20 of the Daisy 7xx series guns and (2) FXB 65s and they are apples and oranges. I really like the Daisys but the FWB 65 is in a whole different level. The 65s were world class competition match pistols of typical German engineering and quality. They are also recoilless which is amazing. Accuracy is also word class. Triggers are far superior to the 777. Actually I would try to get the FWB 80 over the 65 if you could find one for a reasonable price as the trigger is better.. They were probably the best ever SSP. IMHO.

Reactions: .20calguy
I have several of the Daisy 747 and 777 myself, rebuilt a couple of the 717 for my son and grandson. They are not all plastic, I think the only plastic parts are the sights and grips. Absolutely no plastic on the FWB 65, a much more sophisticated gun, a recoiless spring air vs a single stroke pneumatic on the daisy. Like ba49 says, go for a FWB80 if you can, the next generation of the same gun, looks almost the same but with a more sophisticated trigger. Let me back off on the no plastic comment, I do not know if they offered any with plastic grips, so that would be the only possible plastic if at all

Reactions: .20calguy
The FWB 65 is a magnificent pistol, period. The world's no. 1 match air pistol for a solid 20 years, and just a work of art. No less an expert than Scott PIlkington has said if he could own only one pistol, that would be it.

As marflow said, the only plastic is the breech seal, piston bumper, and auto safety snubber. A 65 with a fresh rebuild and current seals may well outlive most of us.

The only negative thing I can say is that the sidelever cocking can be hard on wrist and elbow. The traditional way to do it is to hold the gun vertically and pull the lever sideways with an overhand grip...
IMG_4507.jpeg

...but I find it much easier on old joints to hold it horizontally (i.e., palm up) and pull the lever up with an underhand grip (with thanks to my bride for posing 🙂).
IMG_4508.jpeg

And the match grips are a bit easier to cock than sport grips, too. The contact at the heel of your hand gives some extra leverage.

Last edited:
Beautiful grip on that one, MDriskill.
Thanks! I did sorta win the "wood lottery" on that one, LOL.

The upper gun is an early version standard 65 with short tang, long barrel, and sleeve weight. Lower one is a later example with long tang and shorter Junior barrel (grips are currently swapped - the set with curved thumb rest came on the earlier gun). The later grips have a flat thumb rest, and usually a minimum of finish. Also a set of stippled sport grips for comparison.
IMG_4524.jpeg

IMG_4523.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Modski66
Very cool pair of 65's! The gun was sold as a sport pistol in Europe with the plastic grip panels as standard. I don't think Beeman ever offered them here, preferring to make the pricier wood a "mandatory option," lol. The plastic ones are high quality and very comfy, though.

The 65's action has no plastic beyond the seals, but the two main frame and receiver components are high-quality alloy castings. The only sizable exterior blued steel parts are the barrel, cocking lever, and rear sight housing.

Last edited:
Reactions: houston