FX 400 just died. What happened?

gun cocks fine. Tried cocking it and firing it during fill to try to unseat valve if that is the issue. But then there is the issue with the air free flowing out he barrel?

tim

Sounds like you damaged the poppet or valve seat when dry firing, not really the best way to empty a gun, live and learn.

-Matt

gun cocks fine. Tried cocking it and firing it during fill to try to unseat valve if that is the issue. But then there is the issue with the air free flowing out he barrel?

tim
You mention putting a bottle on. Did the bottle already have air or are you putting on an empty bottle?

Like mentioned it is possible when shooting it down when it got close to empty you might have damaged the valve pin.

Also like above try cocking it and fill from a tank to the fill port. Give it a good sharp blast. If you are filling it slow it may not set the valve.

After the sharp blast if it stops leaking fill is slowly like normal.

Dry firing many times like that to get a gun down in my experience hasn’t been a good thing. I did that on an fx streamline and it broke the valve seat. Did exactly the same thing your gun is doing. It’s a small cheap part at least. I think a little tricky to get out. I sent my gun in for re seal and repair.
What did it cost to send in and get the work done?

Well, it takes like 10 minutes to get the gun apart and the valve out. The seat is a bit more work, but completely doable. Check to see if the valve is damaged or the seat is leaking. If you see nothing wrong, the oring on the seat is likely the culprit. I had two 400's and both of them eventually leaked at the valve seat oring, but once replaced, that was the end of the issue.
You need a small "L" shaped pic, with a smooth end to reach down inside and pull the seat out. Work your way around it to pull evenly, and it'll come right out. To replace it, find a wood or plastic dowel to push it back in place. It's not hard.

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
Well, it takes like 10 minutes to get the gun apart and the valve out. The seat is a bit more work, but completely doable. Check to see if the valve is damaged or the seat is leaking. If you see nothing wrong, the oring on the seat is likely the culprit. I had two 400's and both of them eventually leaked at the valve seat oring, but once replaced, that was the end of the issue.
You need a small "L" shaped pic, with a smooth end to reach down inside and pull the seat out. Work your way around it to pull evenly, and it'll come right out. To replace it, find a wood or plastic dowel to push it back in place. It's not hard.
@bchannell 's choice of tools for the job is perfectly adequate.
However, if you have spare cash and are also a tool freak there is a specialty tool that aids in removing the seat as well as another that helps install the valve.
Cape Fear and Utah probably have them
This is not a recommendation.
Just a point of information
Edward

PS
If you check out Ernest Rowes videos on YouTube you can see the process in action