FX FX Airgun or NOT

Hi Guys,
I just have a quick question, I own a lot of $300-$800 airguns from Avenger, JTS , Benjamin,etc mostly .22 and a few .25
I have always looked for bargin guns cause I never could shell out a lot of $ on a gun.
What I found is almost all the bargin guns function about the same. some good some not as good.
I would love to get a gun that is accurate and has power at 50 and 100yrds
I am NOW looking at spending a little more $ and getting an FX.
My question is Do you thing it would be worth buying a $2000 gun vs a lot of cheaper guns?
Will I be glad I did or disapointed? I just do plinging bench rest not hunting.

Hi Guys,
I just have a quick question, I own a lot of $300-$800 airguns from Avenger, JTS , Benjamin,etc mostly .22 and a few .25
I have always looked for bargin guns cause I never could shell out a lot of $ on a gun.
What I found is almost all the bargin guns function about the same. some good some not as good.
My question is Do you thing it would be worth buying a $2000 gun vs a lot of cheaper guns?
Yeeessss,I started with budget guns. Avengex,snowpeakm16,and m18,hatson bt65,and barrage, she'll out the money. For past 75 yards heavier pellets or slugs shoot more accurate, fx guns have the power. I now own 2panthera,1impactm3,and a grs crown. I shoot each at 100 yards and farther daily. Looking for another impact now. Best thing I done was get away from the budget guns,now all my extra time is spent trying to hit centers at 100 yards. I like doing it,you might also. In the process,I've learned to work on my own guns also. Nothing I need to pay anybody else to do,I can do it. There's full vids on utube how to do it all. So that's my opinion on it. The budget guns don't get shot anymore. My fx guns get shot everyday. I have a shooting house and range.

See if you can score an FX Impact MK3. Some dealers still have them for $200 off. Otherwise, consider an FX Wildcat MK3 or Maverick. Great guns and just as accurate as the Impacts, but a little more simpler design and easier to tune. A VP is $1449. RAW rifles are less costly than FX and are wonderful guns. Bulletproof action and the best trigger anywhere.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
The other guys are correct, there good used guns. I bought all mine used, saved thousands. I put this one together last week. It's a panthera,came disassembled in a small box, I bought the stock off here, it's very powerful also. It's 30 caliber firing a 48 grain zans at 956 fps which has alot of power to spare left. I have less than half what this would have cost new and I know it's more accurate than a new gun cause fx has a system of liner changes. Same caliber and length works with all guns. Liners are 110$new. I've yet for one to wear out,and after I polish one,I've yet to have one not accurate. Every single one shoots about as good as the other. Some are for different weights though,but if you use it like it says do,they are all accurate. This gun shot this group at 100 yards with a 9mph cross wind. I was testing new pellets with a slower twist liner. A quality gun doesn't cost 2k. Get an impact,can't go wrong. Great bench gun,with easy to change calibers and liner clean it easy. Find a used impact and buy it,you'll not shoot the budget guns anymore. You'll be looking for cheaper ammo next.

20240922_112255.jpg

20240922_123701.jpg

Well, I was going to stay out of this one, was. Yes, it is time for you to move up and try out a quality gun. Buy a used one from someone who posts a lot on this forum. You will like the experience, pretty much a given. It will not detract, or make you change your mind about your cheaper guns, unless they shot like crap. I have cheap guns that shoot just as accurate as anything that I still love to shoot. I love the fact that they shoot so well at a quarter of the cost too. The only thing that bothers me about the cheaper guns is that I have to be more careful with them, or they could shoot off. I treat my Paradigm like a regular firearm, it's tough. Edguns are rugged too. Since you said you are not hunting, toughness might not matter to you as much as adjustability and in that case it is hard to argue against an FX. Have fun with it!

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
FX? Maybe, I have a few that I love but expect some flaws. Daystate, BRK, Taipan Vet, Etc are also some other great options. If I were to only have 1 FX it might be an Impact, or Maverick in 22Cal. But the extra level of performance and build quality is certainly worth saving up for. The thing I regret the most is buying several budget pcps instead of just starting out with something nice.

If you are wanting a high end gun, I would not buy used on my first one. You have no way of knowing who has been inside the gun or what may have gone wrong with it prior to your acquisition. A brand new is going to cost a bit more, but, it will come with the marginal comfort of knowing the factory or dealer were the last to touch or adjust anything.

I am an FX fan and own 6 of them. I like them and I like them a lot. A word of caution is in order though. IF you are thinking FX you need to make the commitment to learn how to tune and UNDERSTAND what it is you are doing when tuning. They require tuning to milk everything out of them, not just power but accuracy. Sharing tunes is a ruse to sell guns. It does not work. At best it will get you in the ballpark, but you will be taking the path of least resistance and learning nothing and not gaining an understanding of what makes your gun tick. Of all my FX’s the Panthera platform is the easiest to tune as long as you adjust in small increments.
If you are not wanting to learn to tune, tinker with or tweak your gun I would go with another top tier brand that requires little if any adjustment.
FX guns are made for people who want to monkey with their guns. All others should avoid them.

"RAW rifles are less costly than FX and are wonderful guns. Bulletproof action and the best trigger anywhere. "
I would say #1 a RAW or #2 Daystate huntsman
P.S. i find the more $$$ guns are much better made and are easier to shoot better . i think the analogy of a Ford will get you from here to there but a Rolls Royce is just a pleasurable ride .

Last edited:
The answer would be more clear in my mind if the OP was more specific about what he wants to gain by spending several times as much. He mentions power but says he plinks from a bench rest, I think. Why does power matter for putting holes in paper or other targets? Do you want less drop at longer range? Are you trying to move heavier metal targets (that would take more momentum)?

My experience with >$1000 airguns is limited to one. So I am far from an expert. The biggest thing I would say I got for the much higher price is better machining. That translates to a gun that feels nicer from some aspects. It is not more accurate than the best of my cheaper guns, however, and as it is tuned now it doesn't have more fpe either. It could make more power if it liked heavier pellets but it does not. I don't know how you can know the OP needs a more expensive airgun without knowing what he wants it to do that his less expensive guns do not do.

I do not own a FX and may never own one. I am concerned about their very thin barrels (liners) necessitated by their externally applied rifling. I think it's a neat idea but thin barrels are not really advantageous. FX then offers carbon fiber sleeves that can stiffen them but a thicker steel barrel seems better to me. I wonder if all the tuning their designs incorporate is not in part to address the greater vibratory response of the light weight barrel. All that tuning can either be fun or a nightmare depending on how you look at it. I do not think an Impact would be a good first FX. It has the most potential but getting it to it's potential is going to require some careful tuning. But if a FX Impact or otherwise is really what is necessary to reach the OP's goals.... I doubt that is the case but without more clarity about what he wants his new gun to do I don't know how anybody knows.

Save money, get quality, look for a pre-owned Raw, Daystate, Fx Hw, Rti or other quality built guns. Start checking the classifieds. Great bargains can be found.
IMO a well cared for used Daystate Huntsman Regal XL in your preferred caliber would be a very fine choice.
I expect they have held their value but should still be found at a fair price.

Barring that, a Hunstman Revere

Both are no fuss/no muss rifles of exceptional quality

FX? Maybe, I have a few that I love but expect some flaws. Daystate, BRK, Taipan Vet, Etc are also some other great options. If I were to only have 1 FX it might be an Impact, or Maverick in 22Cal. But the extra level of performance and build quality is certainly worth saving up for. The thing I regret the most is buying several budget pcps instead of just starting out with something nice.
Me to,I regret the time and money I spent on budget guns. I had 7or8 budget guns not counting springers before my first crown. Money I could have saved and have a gun I like to shoot,not one I don't ever shoot cause of lacking power or shot count. Get a good gun. I don't know how you price a good gun,cause there's deals so find you a deal on a good gun.

Reactions: MongooseV8
The answer would be more clear in my mind if the OP was more specific about what he wants to gain by spending several times as much. He mentions power but says he plinks from a bench rest, I think. Why does power matter for putting holes in paper or other targets? Do you want less drop at longer range? Are you trying to move heavier metal targets (that would take more momentum)?

My experience with >$1000 airguns is limited to one. So I am far from an expert. The biggest thing I would say I got for the much higher price is better machining. That translates to a gun that feels nicer from some aspects. It is not more accurate than the best of my cheaper guns, however, and as it is tuned now it doesn't have more fpe either. It could make more power if it liked heavier pellets but it does not. I don't know how you can know the OP needs a more expensive airgun without knowing what he wants it to do that his less expensive guns do not do.

I do not own a FX and may never own one. I am concerned about their very thin barrels (liners) necessitated by their externally applied rifling. I think it's a neat idea but thin barrels are not really advantageous. FX then offers carbon fiber sleeves that can stiffen them but a thicker steel barrel seems better to me. I wonder if all the tuning their designs incorporate is not in part to address the greater vibratory response of the light weight barrel. All that tuning can either be fun or a nightmare depending on how you look at it. I do not think an Impact would be a good first FX. It has the most potential but getting it to it's potential is going to require some careful tuning. But if a FX Impact or otherwise is really what is necessary to reach the OP's goals.... I doubt that is the case but without more clarity about what he wants his new gun to do I don't know how anybody knows.
Well he said he likes to shoot off the bench.

Well he said he likes to shoot off the bench.
Be careful tuning you mean turning the hammer spring dial up and down. Impacts are easy,you shoot a group ,and adjust the spring till the groups get tight. Then watch utube and learn all the rest. Some people pay others for a so called tune. Anybody who owns a gun should read the manual. It'll tell a person about all they need to know for that gun to shoot a pellet in the same hole at a given distance.why not tell the guy to get what he's gonna want down the road first off,instead of a lesser gun. The impacts the route to go. Anything you don't know,you can check out the numous utube vids and it'll show you. Better yet,all the parts that might break are available in utha. Go ahead,get the good one. Tunings not difficult. I've never paid for one,and my guns are great shooters. IMPACT.

Hi Guys,
The “worth” part is up to you… If you want no nonsense, out the box performance. For me, any BRK, simply, drama free performance. Fully acknowledging there are other brands…. Do your “due diligence” and pick what is best for you. Lots of choices at that price point.

Reactions: Smitty911
I don't think you need to go to $2000. DRS is $1000. AOA has Compatto's for $1000. Unregulated Revere are a $1000. RAW just had a gun on sale for $1250. Taipan's are around $1300. Many S510's are under $2000.
There are a lot of 'top shelf' guns for well below $2000.

If you like working on your guns, and chasing problems, and "tuning" them to shoot right, you'll love an FX.

To me, they are worth nowhere near $2000 compared to other guns, especially considering you don't even get a real barrel and the cheesiest trigger.

There are many other high end guns from other manufacturers, many of which have been mentioned in this thread already and are solid recommendations.