FX FX Airgun or NOT

As others have mentioned, I don't think it has to be FX or NOT. There are many good higher end brands out there - and many excellent deals to be had in the used marketplace - whether via the Classifieds here or the Used pages on the retail websites.

I do think it's worth noting that you can get an accurate or inaccurate model in any brand airgun. While the chances may be higher in lower end models to get one with poor accuracy, I have had airguns with poor accuracy come from across the price spectrum.

Where the higher end airguns have stood out mostly is in terms of fit, finish and function. Better triggers, smoother tuning, nicer stocks, better ergonomics, etc.

FX is a fantastic air gun company, their guns have won many competitions including the last PA cup. The problem with most is user error. The first thing the complainers do is start twisting knobs and messing with the regulator settings before the gun is even broken in. If you aren't familiar with the tuning process, you should learn before you try to make them shoot better than when they leave the factory. All 7 of mine have performed flawlessly. Half inch groups at 50 yards with great shot counts with factory recommended ammo. I have owned 7 FX rifles and still own 3 with the last purchase a week ago. I have also owned several other name brand guns that were very good but still prefer the FX's I own now. If you purchase one from a reputable dealer it should come tuned to shoot excellently and I wouldn't mess with it for a couple tins of pellets have been run through it. Good luck whatever you choose to buy.

Hi Guys,
I just have a quick question, I own a lot of $300-$800 airguns from Avenger, JTS , Benjamin,etc mostly .22 and a few .25
I have always looked for bargin guns cause I never could shell out a lot of $ on a gun.
What I found is almost all the bargin guns function about the same. some good some not as good.
I would love to get a gun that is accurate and has power at 50 and 100yrds
I am NOW looking at spending a little more $ and getting an FX.
My question is Do you thing it would be worth buying a $2000 gun vs a lot of cheaper guns?
Will I be glad I did or disapointed? I just do plinging bench rest not hunting.
Absolutely Go for it ! That is what I am going to do ! (y)(y)

Lower end or budget pcps can give u good results but they can not stand against a higher end pcp in accuarcy or build quality. But do u enjoy a bullpup or tradition style rifle?So many option available. I personally buy what has the most support for information ,parts and aftermarket accessories.
Anything fx will group at 50-100 yard

Reactions: coastal drifter
Hi Guys,
I just have a quick question, I own a lot of $300-$800 airguns from Avenger, JTS , Benjamin,etc mostly .22 and a few .25
I have always looked for bargin guns cause I never could shell out a lot of $ on a gun.
What I found is almost all the bargin guns function about the same. some good some not as good.
My question is Do you thing it would be worth buying a $2000 gun vs a lot of cheaper guns?

I have an FX Maverick Sniper, I bought it used and it's been rock solid from the day I got it, no leaks and POI has been fine.

I have several 700mm liners/barrels for this gun, .22 through .30 and each one takes an immense amount of tinkering to tune properly.

I've never gotten the .25 system (slug kit, slug barrel/liner etc.) to be consistent and I've read several hundred accounts of the .25 not being able to slug it out at long distances.

Once I converted it to .30, I've had nothing but good luck with accurate and precise shots.

The issue now is that being stable and rigid with all the attachments it takes to make a good shooter, it's much too heavy (#13) to hunt with.

Because I like .25 so much, I had to find another gun that would do 1 MOA at 100y plus, shoot slugs well and be light enough to carry while hunting.

I took a step back and bought a well used (basket case) M60B and it's got much better precision than the Maverick.

Your choice but you may be paying a grand for a name and not performance.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
This is going to sound really sarcastic towards FX, but it comes from experience. If you like to SHOOT your rifle as opposed to looking at all the parts spread out on a workbench, then don't buy an FX airgun. It really seems like FX designs rifles with a time limit for the design phase -- if the design is 75% done when the bell rings, then the engineers have one more week to make the parts fit together.

I actually had more fun with my friend's Air Venturi Avenger 25 cal shooting NSA slugs than I've had with my FX Maverick 30 cal sniper. The Mav is FINALLY a pretty kick-ass rifle slinging 54.5 grain NSA slugs at 961 fps (112 fpe) and is accurate, BUT it took me years of F'ing around to get it that way. I'm sure someone is going to say I wouldn't have had the struggle if I would have bought a DIFFERENT FX airgun, but FX had their chance. They still crank out new models of guns as fast as they can rather than stopping to really get a design right.

Moving up from an Avenger-class rifle to one of the nice ones other's have mentioned here (other than FX) sounds like it could definitely be worth it if you shoot a lot.

stovepipe

my FX Maverick 30 cal sniper. The Mav is FINALLY a pretty kick-ass rifle slinging 54.5 grain NSA slugs at 961 fps (112 fpe) and is accurate, BUT it took me years of F'ing around to get it that way. I'm sure someone is going to say I wouldn't have had the struggle if I would have bought a DIFFERENT FX airgun, but FX had their chance. They still crank out new models of guns as fast as they can rather than stopping to really get a design right.
In comparison to your years of screwing around to get it that way. I bought a .25 Mora and a few thousand Altaros King 66gr slugs. Scoped it, set it for 890ish fps and went to the range. Groups at 100yards around 1.5-2". Hmmm..... should be better. Got home and checked everything over - ooops I never snugged down the scope mount screws to the rail.

My point is only that there are rifles out there you don't need to spend years of tuning to get right. I actually gave up trying to make pellets guns shoot slugs - what a total waste of time and money in the long run. A good pellet gun shoots pellets great and a good slug gun will shoot slugs great.

When I think of moderately priced guns that offer simplicity, dependability and accuracy, a few come to mind:
FX Royale, Daystate Huntsman, Taipan Veteran, Weihrauch HW100, and RAW HM1000. I would stay away from those that offer a lot of externally adjustable features, as well as anything with a liner and sleeve barrel design.

People are always gonna talk about what they don't have or are not smart enough to get to shoot straight. Just look at the competions what people are shooting mostly,and winning with. Didn't an fx just win the cup last week. Guess his gun had a cheesy barrel with a bad trigger. There's fx haters out there guy. Get an winner. An impact.

In comparison to your years of screwing around to get it that way. I bought a .25 Mora and a few thousand Altaros King 66gr slugs. Scoped it, set it for 890ish fps and went to the range. Groups at 100yards around 1.5-2". Hmmm..... should be better. Got home and checked everything over - ooops I never snugged down the scope mount screws to the rail.

My point is only that there are rifles out there you don't need to spend years of tuning to get right. I actually gave up trying to make pellets guns shoot slugs - what a total waste of time and money in the long run. A good pellet gun shoots pellets great and a good slug gun will shoot slugs great.
I bought my FX Maverick 30 cal sniper over 3.5 years ago. FX advertised that it could shoot slugs with 116 foot pounds of energy accurately. That is what I wanted and that is what I bought. Did it do that right out of the frickin' box -- hell NO! Was a slug kit available for it when I bought it -- hell NO! Was there a barrel with the correct twist rate and choke available to do that -- not yet -- so hell NO! Did the Maverick cocking rod fall apart when I finally did get to 116fpe -- yes! FX said the 1st reg should be at least 20 bar higher than the 2nd reg, but it took more than 160 bar on the 2nd reg to get the energy I wanted, but FX said the 1st reg shouldn't be set higher than 170 bar -- that's not 20 bar more than 160 -- so FX was full of crap. I ditched the 2nd reg and went to a single regulator system -- that got me where I could finally get the power that FX advertised almost 3 years before I got to that point.

If the .25 Mora you speak of was available 3.5 years ago, then I should have bought that instead of an FX. I won't buy another FX. Do I work really frickin' slow and that's why it took 3 years? Partly. Do I feel bad about my choice -- YES! Are you making me feel any worse about it -- absolutely.

I hope the OP doesn't make the same mistake.

stovepipe

Reactions: L.Leon and thumper
To add one more thing: See if you have an airgun shop/store near-by and shoulder a few. There is a remarkable difference in feel from gun to gun.

Trigger feel and LOP are also overlooked quite often as is positional shooting.

My best off-hand shooting comes from guns with an adjustable buttstock (AR style) in that I can really lock it up tight when unsupported.

if FX the royal line is probably the gun that will have value down the road . solid barrel and accurate, in 15 years a old crown or impact etc , will have a issue and no one will want to work on it . you will probably be stuck learning more about how to work on it than you ever wanted , and then it wont be a gun worth much , if your shooting competition then a new latest greatest impact to get that little edge may be the thing to do !i wouldent expect to think your going to enjoy ownership of it 10-15 years down the road , but a old rapid or theoben ? great shooting guns and fixable !

• Love
Reactions: Motorhead
The problem with 99.9% of all PCPs is their ground to trigger interface.

If you want precision-accuracy, purchase a Thomas 20 Footpound HFT rifle, find yourself a 10 meter rifle coach to help adjust the rifle to properly fit you, and then TRAIN under that coach.

You should be shooting no less than 4 times a week. It takes time and shots to aquire the best ground to trigger interface in order to get the most out of a precision instrument such as the Thomas.

If you are not going to devote yourself to the sport then buy any PCP and play.

• Wow
Reactions: UDABEGGER
People are always gonna talk about what they don't have or are not smart enough to get to shoot straight. Just look at the competions what people are shooting mostly,and winning with. Didn't an fx just win the cup last week. Guess his gun had a cheesy barrel with a bad trigger. There's fx haters out there guy. Get an winner. An impact.
If only that easy as your absolutely fooling yourself that these winning rifles are out of the box stock !! Not fiddled with and tweaked to get where there shooting come match time.
Those who have a deep understanding in mechanics see this a different way ... in that stacking multitudes of different sub assemblies, individual screw on parts & pieces making a LEGO creation compounds the care & service & consistency exponentially !!!

We're not haters ( Which is a strong word to use ) but more seeing what others ignore or simply don't care about. The bling of the designs FX uses and there street smart sales tactics absolutely sells guns and those who buy them mostly defend there purchase decision.
A more interesting and perhaps heated conversation & THREAD, might just be the more enlightening topic: Those that purchased FX products and no longer own them or would not purchase one again & the WHY ?

A Civil conversation & Viewpoint

If the .25 Mora you speak of was available 3.5 years ago, then I should have bought that instead of an FX. I won't buy another FX. Do I work really frickin' slow and that's why it took 3 years? Partly. Do I feel bad about my choice -- YES! Are you making me feel any worse about it -- absolutely.

stovepipe
Hey - not my intent to make you feel bad. And believe you me - I've had guns that have taken a few years to get just right so you're not the only one.

Reactions: stovepipe
FX is a fantastic air gun company, their guns have won many competitions including the last PA cup. The problem with most is user error. The first thing the complainers do is start twisting knobs and messing with the regulator settings before the gun is even broken in. If you aren't familiar with the tuning process, you should learn before you try to make them shoot better than when they leave the factory. All 7 of mine have performed flawlessly. Half inch groups at 50 yards with great shot counts with factory recommended ammo. I have owned 7 FX rifles and still own 3 with the last purchase a week ago. I have also owned several other name brand guns that were very good but still prefer the FX's I own now. If you purchase one from a reputable dealer it should come tuned to shoot excellently and I wouldn't mess with it for a couple tins of pellets have been run through it. Good luck whatever you choose to buy.
This guy's advice is the best I've seen. He's exactly right.