FX Crown .177 accuracy

I think I could agree to that..per now :) My AA S510 Extra FAC .177 outshoots the FX Crown .177 as it is today. But, I bought the FX Crown so I can change to cal .22 or .25 (I have not decided yet). Anyhow it would be nice if I could get it to shoot straight also in .177. It is a lovely gun in my opinion. It wont be used for hunting, since that is illegal with airguns here in Norway. It will be used for target practise from 20 to 200 meters. 

Okay I'm going to chime in. I don't understand I'm not a 177 shooter but if I were I'd be buying to BSA or a something like that. I don't understand why you would buy a crown or red wolf in 177. I guess it's for field trial stuff but I don't understand. 1600-2500 for a 177. somebody give me a lesson and explain this all to me cuz I can't understand it!

I think I could agree to that..per now 
regular_smile.gif
 My AA S510 Extra FAC .177 outshoots the FX Crown .177 as it is today. But, I bought the FX Crown so I can change to cal .22 or .25 (I have not decided yet). Anyhow it would be nice if I could get it to shoot straight also in .177. It is a lovely gun in my opinion. It wont be used for hunting, since that is illegal with airguns here in Norway. It will be used for target practise from 20 to 200 meters. 

What about heavier pellets, jsb heavy and jsb monster? Those shot string velocities are all way too high for domed pellets. But at least they showed that the Powerplant is perfectly fine. If you can’t find a pellet which groups well the shop will have to try a different barrel!

I have tried heavier pellets from JSB and H&N at different fps, reg setting and so on. I also tried H&N Piledriver 21 gr (shoots great in my AA S510 Fac .177), but as expected did not go well with the Crown :) Different barrel may be the way to go. 

I could say what I think after buying 3 Crowns but it would probably be deleted!

Take it back to the shop and PX for a Redwolf!

I've been thinking of getting a Crown, so I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. PM is ok if you prefer that route. I have heard that in .177 Daystate does better than FX does.

As it is today I would not recommend the Crown in .177. Think there are other brands that do better in .177, maybe with LW barrel. My AA S510 shoot way better. BUT, I have not given up yet. And as previously mentioned, I will change the Crown to .22 or .25. 

Hi,

Please try and get some JSB 10.34 and send then at about 890-920 FPS. I haven't ever used 8.44 but I think the recommended velocity is around 960 fps for that pellet, but I haven't seen anyone get great results with the 8.44 grain. I really like the JSB brand in the FX guns, I have tried a few of the H&N pellets in different calibres but have found them not as accurate generally.

The first string you show indicates a reg and hammer spring imbalance, the gun seems to settle after the first mag so at least we know that the potential for a good string is there, Sorry I don't have a .177 crown pellet probe yet otherwise I could give you a few settings to duplicate. My impact is at 105 bar and shoots the 10.34 at 910fps very well, maybe not hole in hole at 20 meters but they all touch each other in a 15mm cluster, is your transfer port wheel on .22/.177 or on min?

I am watching this thread with interest...

Did some shooting today. But I seems that I cant upload the images. Get error. Anyhow, I have testet most of the pellets from JSB and H&N at the common recommended fps. It seems that the reg is creeping just a bit and it is "unstable" from 250 bar and down to 220. All the way from 250-110 bar I would get some ok groups and some not at all ok. Was not expecting this gun in .177 to great at +100 meters. But at 20-50 meters and maybe even out to 100 meters it should do better. As for reg setting I have tried everything from 80-145 bar and adjusted the spring screw accordingly. Still the same result. But I have not tried to remove the barrel o-rings, maybe I should try that. 

Can not understand how HAM could get groupings like that in their review of the FX Crown .177. https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/fx-crown-air-rifle-test-review-177-caliber/

Thank you for your interest and thank you again for solving my other problem with the gun when I got it :)

You had 18 duplicates (972fps)? I'd say the reg is working!

reg is working perfectly, or chrony is giving bad info?

18 in a string exactly the same seems odd?

I was thinking the same..to good to be true? :) But the chrono show different readings when it should... Anyhow, the chrono is a bit on the cheap side so I am planning to replace it sometime in the near future. 

i also have a crown in 177 with the same problem. accuracy is terrible. it is now back at FX USA for the second time. they have had it more than i have. very disappointed to say the least. as others have said, use the jsbs either the 8gr or the 10gr and get your speed around 880. i'm wondering (having had 12 fx guns) if the smooth twist is a better option in 177 than the X barrel. good luck with this. keep us updated.

Please keep us updated! :) 

Did you get any feedback from FX USA? Are they familiar with this problem? Have they said anything?

my rapid air weapons bm500 with polygonal barrel shoots 8.4s at 1020 fps.. accuracy at 100 yards is amazing....if the wind isint blowing.

so it all depends on the barrel too if it likes the pellets and at a certain speed.

5 shot groups at 100 yards the size of my thumb nail. if the wind wind blowing.

at 860 fps out of my air wolf.. accuracy is toast after 50 yards with lw barrel

Mark, anything over 890 FPS is too fast for 8.4

It appears JSB don't agree with you then! see email reply below, perhaps Poly barrel is the way to go then, where can I get one?

"Hello Mark, 

Thanks for your e-mail. 

The 8.4 pellets work well up to 290 m/s according to our experiences (951 FPS).

Best regards, 

Pavel Kolebac

JSB Match Diabolo "

my rapid air weapons bm500 with polygonal barrel shoots 8.4s at 1020 fps.. accuracy at 100 yards is amazing....if the wind isint blowing.

so it all depends on the barrel too if it likes the pellets and at a certain speed.

5 shot groups at 100 yards the size of my thumb nail. if the wind wind blowing.

at 860 fps out of my air wolf.. accuracy is toast after 50 yards with lw barrel

Any idea who makes the poly barrels for RAW?