FX Crown in .177

I have several FX Crowns in various calibers and configurations, I thought I would give the .177 cal a try and I am using a STX 500mm liner with extended shroud, set up to shoot 10.5gr Crosman Premier heavies just a little over 900 FPS for best accuracy and power and am amazed how accurate his little .177 is.I can consistently print 3/8" groups at 50 yards all day long. I tried to make gun as light and efficient as possible, using a FX 300cc bottle and reg pressure is right at 90 BAR. Getting 100+ shots from a 250 BAR fill Tried several other .177 pellets and none come close to the 10.5 CP's 

Reactions: ThomasT
I set up my Dream Tact Compact in .177 and have similar results using a 300cc tank and the 230mm barrel. Super light, compact and accurate! It's shooting the CPUDs at 879 FPS, which isn't too bad considering the short barrel. I discovered my Dreamline barrels fit my Crown [but not the other way around], so I'm considering getting a .177 probe for the Crown when I convert my Dream Tact to an arrow thrower.

I LOVE my Crown 177 compact! 
2B28CD1F-42ED-48FA-AE20-3B055B0BC8AB.1644206960.jpeg

Yes, that’s a Dream-Tac compact 300mm barrel. FX just started to make a 380mm crown barrel, it is longer with the shroud by quite a bit but still compact.
Utah air has 320mm .177 dreamline barrel kits in stock. The .177 380mm crown barrel always says out of stock. Hows the stx barrel accuracy with .177 pellets @ 12 fpe up to 20 fpe? Its not the superior liner correct just the stx?

I have/had FX 177 barrels in 300, 380, 500 & 600mm, all are VERY accurate with the right tune. HOWEVER!!! Trying to get 20 FPE out of 300mm 177 barrel will be very challenging, it can be done with the 13.4 grain pellet but not in stock format. It's the physical limitation of the barrel length not barrel quality, very difficult to tune as the margin of error is very little. At 15 FPE/800fps and lower the 300mm barrel can shoot 1 hole groups all day relatively easy but ultra short barrels are generally much more difficult to tune. To get to 20FPE for HFT you need the 380mm or longer 177 barrel, 500mm is the sweet spot for that power level. I had my crown mk2 shooting 20 FPE or 10.3 gain pellet @920FPS with the 380mm barrel quite happy, 1 hole 20 yard groups all day or 1 hole 30 year groups if the wind is calm.

I have/had FX 177 barrels in 300, 380, 500 & 600mm, all are VERY accurate with the right tune. HOWEVER!!! Trying to get 20 FPE out of 300mm 177 barrel will be very challenging, it can be done with the 13.4 grain pellet but not in stock format. It's the physical limitation of the barrel length not barrel quality, very difficult to tune as the margin of error is very little. At 15 FPE/800fps and lower the 300mm barrel can shoot 1 hole groups all day relatively easy but ultra short barrels are generally much more difficult to tune. To get to 20FPE for HFT you need the 380mm or longer 177 barrel, 500mm is the sweet spot for that power level. I had my crown mk2 shooting 20 FPE or 10.3 gain pellet @920FPS with the 380mm barrel quite happy, 1 hole 20 yard groups all day or 1 hole 30 year groups if the wind is calm.
I wouldnt be trying to push the 320mm barrel up to 20 fpe it would be in the range of 10 - 15 fpe for closer in pest type stuff. I was just interested in your experience thru that power range and what it took to get accuracy. If I went longer than 380mm I would be using an impact or similar bullpup to keep length down. Thanks for the info.

I wouldnt be trying to push the 320mm barrel up to 20 fpe it would be in the range of 10 - 15 fpe for closer in pest type stuff. I was just interested in your experience thru that power range and what it took to get accuracy. If I went longer than 380mm I would be using an impact or similar bullpup to keep length down. Thanks for the info.

My DTC with the 300mm barrel currently shooting 10.3 and 13.4 pellets very well, easy 1 hole at 20-30 yards like I said. My reg is 120 with factory light hammer and get around 100 shots or 4 mag out of 170cc compact tube filled to 230 bars. As long as you don't lower your reg too much and don't go over 800 fps or 760 fps on the conservative side then it's easy accuracy with just about all he pellets I put through it(the 177 daisy pellets were hit and miss). My gun currently shoots the 13.4 grain jsb 700 fps for 14 fpe that can punch right through a skunk vital at 20 yards on one setting and 10.3 hades at a lower setting for squirrels. It can shoot the 10.3 grain at about 800fps very well too on one of the higher settings but it's my back yard gun.

only disclaimer is I have a carbon liner sleeve cut and epoxied on the short little barrel. It was accurate before but I think it's a touch more with the carbon sleeve epoxied on. I do that to every FX barrel I shoot, not a must have but a nice to have IMHO.

Reactions: douger and LDP
I set up my Dream Tact Compact in .177 and have similar results using a 300cc tank and the 230mm barrel. Super light, compact and accurate! It's shooting the CPUDs at 879 FPS, which isn't too bad considering the short barrel. I discovered my Dreamline barrels fit my Crown [but not the other way around], so I'm considering getting a .177 probe for the Crown when I convert my Dream Tact to an arrow thrower.
dreamline barrels fit the crown and vise versa unless its the diameter hitting the air tank ?

dreamline barrels fit the crown and vise versa unless its the diameter hitting the air tank ?

Crown shrouds are bigger, the bottle is lower so there is space for the bigger shroud. Dreamline has a very skinny should be cause the tube and bottle are closer. So you can use Dreamline barrel on crown but not he other way around.

This is my crown with 380mm crown barrel, it’s much fatter and longer…….. at least that’s what she said….

FA48263B-C22C-4EAA-9372-9D71D5D2683C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Soloshot
I have several FX Crowns in various calibers and configurations, I thought I would give the .177 cal a try and I am using a STX 500mm liner with extended shroud, set up to shoot 10.5gr Crosman Premier heavies just a little over 900 FPS for best accuracy and power and am amazed how accurate his little .177 is.I can consistently print 3/8" groups at 50 yards all day long. I tried to make gun as light and efficient as possible, using a FX 300cc bottle and reg pressure is right at 90 BAR. Getting 100+ shots from a 250 BAR fill Tried several other .177 pellets and none come close to the 10.5 CP's
Sounds like a good FT platform

Crown shrouds are bigger, the bottle is lower so there is space for the bigger shroud. Dreamline has a very skinny should be cause the tube and bottle are closer. So you can use Dreamline barrel on crown but not he other way around.

This is my crown with 380mm crown barrel, it’s much fatter and longer…….. at least that’s what she said….

View attachment 291572
nice rig you got

Reactions: qball

View attachment 291572
you can put the fat barrel on the dream tac compact because the bottle is 200 cc alum about 1.25" diameter yea with the big bottle it won't fit i have booth

View attachment 291572
that black pepper stock looks good i got a new crown today synthetic its a few ounces lighter helps me with off hand shooting even though its only 6 ounces difference

Reactions: qball