FX Crown, so many choices, you pick

What barrel length would you initially purchase when getting a FX Crown and what stock would you pick?

I have a Maverick 700mm and find it a bit lanky in length

For me the GRS 22 cal 500mm barrel, how about you? :)

Love to hear your impression of the Crown with the 380mm would be interesting to hear

Thanks

Top: 500mm, 700mm GRS I believe, Yellow jacket stock ( 5th down) will be discontinued soon, I agree with others, that the crown in walnut are getting more bland in wood grain

CROWN.1635486150.jpg

It's a FX so I pick them ALL!

I have one in GRS stock and one in Pepper Laminate. I have 300/380, 500 and 600 barrels for them, I stopped at 700 though LOL! For walking in the woods/my backyard the 380 is phenomenal! 500mm is ok for walking around with it but I do feel the length and 600mm is really for the bench, the 700mm is.......unfair advantage because you are practically at point blank range. Handy if you fix a bayonet to the moderator so you can just stable whatever you are shooting at if you happen to miss at point blank range. 

Obviously the barrel length dictates max speed and power, for pellets the 380 is plenty IMHO, 380mm .25 barrel shoots pellets right at 800 fps and with JSB heavy can definitely get MOA at 100 yards on a good day, I've done it on a dreamline compact. The interesting part is you can get 300mm .22 superior barrel to shoot 20-23 grain NSA slugs at 760fps and it's damn good at 100 yards. Never tried slugs in the new superior and heavy liner in .25 380mm barrel, slinging .25 slugs at 800fps could be amazing! 

Feel wise the GRS beats the Laminate by a little, it's better because adjustable length of pull and the 6 degree offset grip feels awesome. The laminate is fantastic in it's own right, love the thumb hole setup and one of the best ambidextrous stock I've tried on airgun or PB. The Synthetic stock is quite a bit lighter and obviously more durable so if you out hunt a lot and rough on your guns then it's a great choice. The laminate stocks have a distinct advantage of extra weight in rear of the stock which makes off hand shooting feel easier thanks to the awesome balance especially with the superlite barrel, the balance is simply outstanding! GRS comes in close second in the balance department but the offset grip and adjustable LOP balance it out over all, hard to decide which one I like better. For the bench the GRS to me is the best out of the bunch hands down. I wish they add some weight to rear of the synthetic stock to make it feel the same across the board, it also lacks adjustable comb or cheek piece which is quit necessary unless you have really tall cheek bone. Never had a walnut stock. 

Reactions: Goldwing
Thank you Q for the great advice! would you have a picture of your setup with the 380mm barrel?

Thanks

PS what's this mean?

"LOP balance it out over all,"

The adjustable length of pull on the GRS makes it fit really well. The GRS stock has a little bit less weight at the rear of the stock so the balance is slight more forward but having a better fit with adjustable LOP balances out the slight balance different when shooting offhand. If you shoot on the bench a lot then GRS is heads and shoulders above the rest because of the adjustable LOP and offset grip. The original FX crown stocks are designed to be a traditional carry rifle stock. When shooting offhand/leaning against something I like my LOP at the shortest setting, on the bench I like it in the middle and prone I like the LOP to be at the longest setting. 

If you had to choose one that can do everything well then GRS is the best hands down but it is 200 extra coins. 

I’ll pay it!
1f60a.svg
with a 500mm barrel ?

sorry, it’s crown, you will have multiple Berrals eventually. 

380mm is phenomenal with pellets and surprisingly good with slugs but at slower speed which isn’t a big deal IMHO.

500mm is probably best all around barrel for pellets and lighter slugs, if I only get 1 barrel for everything then 500mm is probably what I would go for.

600mm is bench only to me and 700mm is hysterically long. 

THEN there is the hard question of which caliber…..🤔😂🤣

I’ll pay it!
1f60a.svg
with a 500mm barrel ?

sorry, it’s crown, you will have multiple Berrals eventually. 

380mm is phenomenal with pellets and surprisingly good with slugs but at slower speed which isn’t a big deal IMHO.

500mm is probably best all around barrel for pellets and lighter slugs, if I only get 1 barrel for everything then 500mm is probably what I would go for.

600mm is bench only to me and 700mm is hysterically long. 

THEN there is the hard question of which caliber…..🤔😂🤣

This.

If I could do it again, 500mm .177, black pepper laminate. Though .22 is the ultimate plinking caliber.

I have walnut .22 380mm, 2x 500mm, 700mm, .30 600mm. Five barrels, lol. Four in .22. I do not have .177 yet, but I do have another high power .177 rifle, and I prefer the heavy .177 ammo to any of the .22 slugs 21-36gr, none compare to the .177. It just flies flatter, and gets to the target way faster. (even at a lower muzzle velocity than my .22)

The best config I have is with the 500mm .22 superior barrel with carbon liner shroud. Shooting 25gr .218 slugs at 950fps. Not too long (like the obscene 700mm), still lots of power, and all the accuracy in the world.

Oh, and mine is a MK1. I see no need or reason to get a MKII unless you want a .30, though the 20 moa rail is nice. I have a first gen picatiny rail, but it's 0 moa.

122195347_10158661612774034_8060989792617494934_n.1635491425.jpg

PSX_20201207_101645.1635491659.jpg

Reactions: Goldwing
What barrel length would you initially purchase when getting a FX Crown and what stock would you pick?

I have a Maverick 700mm and find it a bit lanky in length

For me the GRS 22 cal 500mm barrel, how about you? :)

Love to hear your impression of the Crown with the 380mm would be interesting to hear

Crown with 380 barrel doesn t work for me. However, don t exactly know why my accuracy-results with 380mm remain poor whilst my friend is just doing fine with it (at the same distances)
Crown with 700mm barrel + silencer on it, to me is more like a fishing rod. But on the other hand another acquaintance of mine is shooting a superior heavy liner in 700mm and he says he wouldn t want to miss it for the world.
So i guess it s all about one s own preferences.

I prefer 600mm barrels for all of my FX-guns, in all calibers, since recently even the .177. Does great with 13,43 gr mini-KnockOuts. 

I have the Saber Crown also in 600mm and love it. While the extra power for slugs might come in handy with the 700mm, it is just SO VERY long! Remember, as a rifle setup, the barrel starts at the end of the action instead of pushing way back into the stock like bullpups, so it makes that 700 way longer than an Impact or Maverick. 

The 600 shoots both the 18 and 25gr pellets with amazing accuracy, and that was what I was looking for. 500mm might be more maneuverable, but the 600 is not too bad. I like that the extra length might help with slugs if I ever take that time. 

I am a huge fan of chassis setups, so it was an easy decision for me. I was actually just waiting on a Delta Wolf, and I’m glad I went this route! Every time I consider picking up another Impact, I just remind myself how much I love this rifle and how it does everything I want. Only thing I need is more air.

Hardest part for me is where to mount a bipod rail. Don’t like idea of drilling into the laminate stock but don’t like idea of mounting far out on the bottle either.

One of the many reasons I like the Saber chassis. I personally don’t think the clamps on the bottle hurt. I had one on a Red Wolf and never had issues. Many other people use them too, with very few complaints. It helps a lot getting that bipod out front more.

If you like to walk around and shoot off hand, shorter is more convenient, particularly in the woods. I have an Avenger that is about 53” long and a Leshiy 2 and most of the time I like the short and compact Leshiy because I spend most of my time walking, stalking and plinking. The L2 I can hang straight down my side on a single point sling. I’m always knocking into things with the Avenger, but it’s sweet when I want to shoot from a rested position.

...For me the GRS 22 cal 500mm barrel, how about you? :)

You are definitely on the right track. My personal preferences include the 500mm barrel for .177 and .22 cal guns, and the 600mm barrel for .25 and .30.

The 700mm barrel was referred to above as handling more like a fishing pole than a gun. True dat!

And everyone who owns a Crown must also own and shoot a 380mm barrel. Totally changes the overall character of the gun, and has better accuracy than it has a right to have. A 380mm barrelled Crown is a fantastic gun for introducing new shooters to PCP air guns. With a 380 the pellet spends less time in the barrel, so shooters with bad habits or who lack technique will still hit whatever they aim at, even if their follow through isn't great and they wiggle the stock a bit after the shot breaks.

Reactions: srtmat