FX FX drs backyard friendly?

I've only seen one video of someone showing the dB of this rifle. It was upwards in the 100 range, and I've seen peolpe say its pretty loud. Has anyone done a sound test with a DonnyFl on it?

I'm still new to the hobby, and LOVE my Notos, but i'd really like this as my next rifle. The Notos is perfect for my backyard with sound, so I hope its not that much louder with a moderator. I also have my eye on a Daystate huntsman.. If that's going to be more quiet...

Anyone shoot these in their backyard without complaints? haha

Last edited:
I think if you chose a 700mm in either 22 or 177 Cal and used a Sumo that would be your best bet. Sound is subjective but plenty of other members have reported theirs are quiet with the right moderator and tune. There are other moderators that work as well or better than a Sumo, but that will give you a minimum reference point. If noise is critical in your case, I think there are lots of other better choices. A Gen 1 Taipan Veteran is very quiet, and pretty much any other ~700mm barrel with a full shroud will be quieter too. My Impact/Maverick with shroud plus moderator are dang quiet. I used to own a Wildcat Compact that I traded to a good friend. We converted it to a 25 Cal and tuned it low ~40fpe, and even with a Tanto the thing is crazy quiet. The DRS doesnt have a shroud so all your sound reduction will come from your moderator.

I think if you chose a 700mm in either 22 or 177 Cal and used a Sumo that would be your best bet. Sound is subjective but plenty of other members have reported theirs are quiet with the right moderator and tune. There are other moderators that work as well or better than a Sumo, but that will give you a minimum reference point. If noise is critical in your case, I think there are lots of other better choices. A Gen 1 Taipan Veteran is very quiet, and pretty much any other ~700mm barrel with a full shroud will be quieter too. My Impact/Maverick with shroud plus moderator are dang quiet. I used to own a Wildcat Compact that I traded to a good friend. We converted it to a 25 Cal and tuned it low ~40fpe, and even with a Tanto the thing is crazy quiet. The DRS doesnt have a shroud so all your sound reduction will come from your moderator.
Thanks! I know theres other rifles out there, im just really dead set on this one if the sound isn't horrible. I live in a residencial area but my backyard backs up to a hill that I've created a range on. One one side I have a lady who's an alcohlic that doesn't know where she is, and the othe side a lady who didn't know I have an austrailan sheapard. It doesn't have to be super quiet, but I don't want to bother anyone a couple houses down. I shoot my Notos at 1am to get rid of the rats and its not bothering anyone. I'd keep with the notos for that, but for day to day I'd live to be able to shoot the drs.

I've seen alot of people say once they add the moderator its super quiet but I don't know what what they're referencing haha.

Reactions: MongooseV8
In that case I would choose either a 177 or 22 Cal with the 700mm barrel and tune it down a little bit ~20fpe. Paired with a good moderator I think you will be happy. But other members will be here soon to chime in with their advice.

Edit to add: Just to clarify, the DRS having no shroud will never be as quiet as pcp with a shroud; since both designs can use a moderator. I dont want you to think that just adding a moderator will make it mouse fart quiet.

Last edited:
My little 500mm .22 DRS is just plain loud. I have to use a mod that‘s the size of what I use on my .30 to get the thing what I would consider neighborhood friendly. It looks just plain stupid with a giant can on it so I use a smaller more proportional mod and just deal with the noise. Fortunately I don’t have to be real backyard friendly where I live.

Thanks! I know theres other rifles out there, im just really dead set on this one if the sound isn't horrible. I live in a residencial area but my backyard backs up to a hill that I've created a range on. One one side I have a lady who's an alcohlic that doesn't know where she is, and the othe side a lady who didn't know I have an austrailan sheapard. It doesn't have to be super quiet, but I don't want to bother anyone a couple houses down. I shoot my Notos at 1am to get rid of the rats and its not bothering anyone. I'd keep with the notos for that, but for day to day I'd live to be able to shoot the drs.

I've seen alot of people say once they add the moderator its super quiet but I don't know what what they're referencing haha.
I take this back.. I would also like the Daystate Revere.. It seems like they would both be on the same lines of sound?

I take this back.. I would also like the Daystate Revere.. It seems like they would both be on the same lines of sound?
Yeah pretty close since the Revere isnt really shrouded the same way a lot of the quiet pcps are. The barrel length is a little shorter too at 17" which will be louder for the same fpe. If you chose a 700mm FX you can run lower reg pressures to get the same fpe when compared to a shorter barrel which will really help with sound.