FX FX DRS question

JinOK

Aug 10, 2024
So I'm interested in the FX DRS in .22, maybe .25, with a 600mm barrel. I reached out to a seller and asked if the heavy barrel was available in 600mm for this gun. The answer was yes, but it wouldn't shoot pellets well. This left me a bit confused. The 700mm version, which has the heavy barrel, seems to shoot both quite well, with minimal POI shift. And the slugs and pellets are about the same weight.
So I reached out for more info because something didn't add up for me and was told that the 700mm barrel allows you to turn the reg down, because you need more pressure to shoot the same in a 600mm barrel.
So now I'm super confused. What am I missing in this equation? I can't see 100mm making that much of a difference, all things being equal. Can someone explain what I'm missing?

So I'm interested in the FX DRS in .22, maybe .25, with a 600mm barrel. I reached out to a seller and asked if the heavy barrel was available in 600mm for this gun. The answer was yes, but it wouldn't shoot pellets well. This left me a bit confused. The 700mm version, which has the heavy barrel, seems to shoot both quite well, with minimal POI shift. And the slugs and pellets are about the same weight.
So I reached out for more info because something didn't add up for me and was told that the 700mm barrel allows you to turn the reg down, because you need more pressure to shoot the same in a 600mm barrel.
So now I'm super confused. What am I missing in this equation? I can't see 100mm making that much of a difference, all things being equal. Can someone explain what I'm missing?
Probably has to do with twist rate and ballistics stuff - pellets and slugs are very different in many ways other than weight. I would doubt that any gun or barrel would shoot both pellets and slugs accurately - it might shoot them "well enough," but not "precisely."

When you say "Heavy Barrel" are you referring to the Heavy Liner FX sells? That is the faster twist barrel liner meant for slugs and heavier pellets. Some of them dont shoot pellets well since they over spin the pellets. The length also does matter in a pcp as the shorter barrels need a stronger air burst to deliver the same fps when compared to the longer barrels. This can be tricky to tune if you want max speeds. But even a 500mm DRS in 22Cal will have no issue shooting any pellet well, and even some lighter slugs. I would suggest you get the length that appeals to you and plan your ammo/tune around that. If you really want to shoot the heaviest slugs at the highest speeds I dont think the DRS is the best option mainly due to low shot count.

When you say "Heavy Barrel" are you referring to the Heavy Liner FX sells? That is the faster twist barrel liner meant for slugs and heavier pellets. Some of them dont shoot pellets well since they over spin the pellets. The length also does matter in a pcp as the shorter barrels need a stronger air burst to deliver the same fps when compared to the longer barrels. This can be tricky to tune if you want max speeds. But even a 500mm DRS in 22Cal will have no issue shooting any pellet well, and even some lighter slugs. I would suggest you get the length that appeals to you and plan your ammo/tune around that. If you really want to shoot the heaviest slugs at the highest speeds I dont think the DRS is the best option mainly due to low shot count.
Yeah. I meant to say the Heavy Liner replacement. Now the faster twist factor does make sense. I didn't consider that.

Reactions: MongooseV8
I have the classic with 600mm barrel. I turned up the reg to 145 bar and tuned the HS to shoot the heavy 25 to 28 grn. Pellets. They shoot well enough for hunting but the barrel still likes the lighter pellets like Hades and Predators and 18 grain domes For best ragged hole groups at 40 yards. As advertised it is a pellet hunting rifle in 500 and 600 barrel lengths.

I think what dawned on me, is the amount of air in the barrel when fired, bleeds off sooner with a shorter barrel, requiring more air release to compensate that. I think, LOL. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah kinda need a higher pressure shot down a shorter barrel than a long one where you can use more hammer dwell and lower pressure the 700 has a longer runway is the way I think of it