FX Fx DRS vs Dreamline for 1st PCP

Hi
I am looking to get my first PCP after many years of using Springerss. I am looking at these two models. Would probably buy in 22 caliber and use primarily for backyard shooting ranges and some hunting.

I originally came across the DRS at a local shop and loved it, but it occurred to me that I should not rule out the Dreamline. I like the look in the balance of the DRS. I have not handled the dreamline but it appears to be closer and wait to a centerfire rifle, which is appealing to me. The DRS seems much lighter than any Real on I would use

Any thoughts on which model to choose? I have read a few bad things about the Dreamliner issues with its floating barrel being a bit unstable and causing point of impact to shift and issues with the magazine requiring ultra high scope rings. Those are two situations I would like to avoid, which makes me lean more towards the DRS despite its lighter/almost too light weight.

I appreciate any feedback you may have thanks. I also invite any recommendations for other brands that I may want to consider. I am not tied to FX. But want to stay in that price range

Matt

The Dreamline is a proven design and a great choice. But it will be limited in power if that matters to you.

The DRS seems to be very rock solid when it comes to the barrel design specifically. There have been some issues members have documented with the DRS, like the M8 threaded receivers on some early production models and a few broken triggers parts etc. Overall I think they are a decent value for what the market has to offer, at least for an FX. One thing to keep in mind with the DRS is they dont really have a barrel shroud and will be much louder when compared to something at the same power level that is shrouded. You will almost certainly want a moderator with either the Dreamline or DRS, but its basically a requirement with the DRS. There are other options for a great pcp but between the two I would pick the DRS despite possible issues. The Walnut stock versions are very pretty.

Reactions: Impact701
If you are interested in a Lego Gun, meaning it can be configured as a traditional rifle, a bullpup or a tactical air gun with the option to easily change calipers, then the Dreamline is an excellent choice. If you are liking for a powerful, solid shooter, then the DRS is a good choice. If weight is a concern, you can get the DRS in a really nice walnut stock.

I own a Dreamline Classic with the grey laminate stock, a Dreamlike Tactical Compact with folding stock and carbon fiber bottle and a DRS Classic 600mm so I have first hand experience with both platforms. Both are extremely accurate at 50 yards and both are equally powerful. The Dreamline Classic has the 600mm barrel and is set up in .25 caliber, the DRS also has the 600mm barrel and the optional larger SHP plenum, but is set up in .22. The DRS can easily match or surpass the FPE produced by the .25 caliber Dreamline Classic.

Just a quick note to correct a misconception @mrbowler1
You are not locked in to using high scope rings with the Dreamline
There are magazines available that are not as tall as the FX Sideshot mag
Those include magazines made by CARM, Orion, and the eBay seller QD Fox
I have not used the Orion minis, but have used the other two and they work nicely
Hope this helps
Edward

Just a quick note to correct a misconception @mrbowler1
You are not locked in to using high scope rings with the Dreamline
There are magazines available that are not as tall as the FX Sideshot mag
Those include magazines made by CARM, Orion, and the eBay seller QD Fox
I have not used the Orion minis, but have used the other two and they work nicely
Hope this helps
Edward
I just bought an Orion magazine for my DRS. It is light years better than the stock mini magazine. After you use the Orion, you won't want to use the stock magazine again.

+1 for Dreamline. My Dreampup does everything right every time it leaves the safe. I can’t speak for the DRS but knowing me I will probably buy one someday So +1 for that choice also. You can’t go wrong with these lower line FX products at the price point.

IMG_1362.jpeg

Last edited:
It depends on your intended use. In my opinion unless your are doing some sort of prs competition get the dreamline. Yes the drs will produce more power however the air storage capacity doesn’t really coincide well with high power. You can turn it up but you will be filling it a lot. If power is important why look at the drs in the first place ? The dreamline is a proven platform that will produce plenty of pellet power and is actually much more tunable right out of the box because you actually know where your reg is set. Dreamline is also much more modular which might be nice down the road.

If you are interested in a Lego Gun, meaning it can be configured as a traditional rifle, a bullpup or a tactical air gun with the option to easily change calipers, then the Dreamline is an excellent choice. If you are liking for a powerful, solid shooter, then the DRS is a good choice. If weight is a concern, you can get the DRS in a really nice walnut stock.

I own a Dreamline Classic with the grey laminate stock, a Dreamlike Tactical Compact with folding stock and carbon fiber bottle and a DRS Classic 600mm so I have first hand experience with both platforms. Both are extremely accurate at 50 yards and both are equally powerful. The Dreamline Classic has the 600mm barrel and is set up in .25 caliber, the DRS also has the 600mm barrel and the optional larger SHP plenum, but is set up in .22. The DRS can easily match or surpass the FPE produced by the .25 caliber Dreamline Classic.
Since you have several dreamlines. Can you get one close to the power of a crown with huma's upgrades? Slug/pellet kit, 30cc plenum, and etc.

As stated above you may be able to tune the DRS up to some good power with all the added accessories but the shot count will be like one magazine per fill Compared to say a Crown . That is where the more expensive Crown and other bottle guns shine, still fairly light weight with variable tunning with a turn of a power wheel and external plentum adjustment. The DRS was designed as a pellet hunting gun that resembles a conventional PB rifle. and is a great rifle as designed. There are so many other guns out there like the Dreamline that are more flexible by design to shoot different ammo at different speeds for different needs. I got caught up in the idea to try and turn my guns into something they were not designed or intended for. A lot of money spent to just shoot a squirrel to groundhog size game when the original stock gun was just as efficient with 15 grain Hades pellets at around 900 fps. Tops. I have come to the conclusion it’s more humane to keep the distance within 60 yards or closer and make the shot count especially on larger animals (head shots). I have both the DRS and a GRS stocked Dreamline in .22. I like them both a lot but If I had only one it would be …… I can’t decide !!! and then there is the Leishy 2. I guess it comes down to what mood I’m in as to which one I pick up. That’s what happens when you have more than one air rifle. Sorry this probably hasnt been any help.

Since you have several dreamlines. Can you get one close to the power of a crown with huma's upgrades? Slug/pellet kit, 30cc plenum, and etc.
The Dreamline Classic I have is way more powerful than the Crown. I has the FX Power Plenum and Huma-Air Plenum along with the Huma Air regulator. The Crown and Dream Tac Compact are about on par when the Deam Tac is set up with the 500mm Barrel, 480cc Tank and FX Power Plenum. When set up with the shorter 320cc barrel and 300cc tank (without the power plenum) the Crown produces more power.

Good feedback. Thanks. So none of you have had issues with shifting point of impact? I read some reviews where people said that was a real problem with the Dreamline. I would see that as a deal breaker for me. I also read that the first few shots after a fill produce eratic velocity. That I figure is not a big deal since you could fry fire a few times.

The shifting PoI would be problematic for me though

Thanks
Matt

Good feedback. Thanks. So none of you have had issues with shifting point of impact? I read some reviews where people said that was a real problem with the Dreamline. I would see that as a deal breaker for me. I also read that the first few shots after a fill produce eratic velocity. That I figure is not a big deal since you could fry fire a few times.

The shifting PoI would be problematic for me though

Thanks
Matt
How much weight are you looking for? My 500mm DRS weights 8# with scope and accessories.

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

Reactions: Impact701
Anyone know what to expect for a DRS shot count shooting 18.1's around 900 fps? I get 50- 60 with my Dreamline.
my drs 22 500 is set up at -reg 110 bar 4.12 hammer im getting 50 shots shooting 16 gr art 910fps and very accurate. i have had others i like this so much better regs very good as i have zero first shot difference in fps. very light, i have tried the jsb 13.43 with tune down some at 880 and was 60 shots also shoots the 14 gr cheaper pellets very well also

Reactions: MongooseV8