FX FX DRS with low velocity first shot! What should I check?

Back again for an update. First shot after almost 24 hours, 873, 881, 877, 881fps. This is with the hammer set 1/4 turn above the regs plateau speed. And with a 500mm .22 barrel with a reg setting of 110 ish. I will leave it set there and check my shot string when I’m approaching refill time. If it doesn’t get all whacky, the gun is ready to hunt and be trusted. Well, unless something breaks.

Reactions: Airgunmann
I just installed the tungsten hammer... Wow, what a difference! The regulator had crept up to 140BAR (I didn't shoot it yesterday). I counted the turns as I removed the HST adjuster, it was in 8 full turns. I slipped in the tungsten hammer and screwed it back in 6 full turns. First shot with 21.9 grain AEA pellets was 1011 FPS (the fist shot wasn't even registering on the chrony with the stock hammer), 49.8 FPE! The second shot was 1000 FPS, (that was 970 FPS with the stock hammer). I then backed off the HST adjuster another 2 full turns and it's shooting them at 990 FPS. I can't really back it out any more or the locking plug won't fit with the stock on. It's just a hair beyond flush with the back of the breech now. The regulator is set at 130BAR, I might try backing it off to 125 or 120 BAR and see how it does.

My low velocity first shot seems to be gone! The target below is the 3 shots at 35 yards. The first shot was actually the high POI, the other 2 are shots 2 and 3. I still have reg creep, but this heavier hammer seems to have overcome the problem.

View attachment 470836
Let us know tomorrow after the gun sits for 24 hours. It sounds to me like your stock hammer wasn’t enough for 130b. Or you never found your plateau speed to begin with and were dilly dallying around too far below it. If you can shave a little weight off that hammer it might give you a nicer operating range with the stock HS screw.

I just installed the tungsten hammer... Wow, what a difference! The regulator had crept up to 140BAR (I didn't shoot it yesterday). I counted the turns as I removed the HST adjuster, it was in 8 full turns. I slipped in the tungsten hammer and screwed it back in 6 full turns. First shot with 21.9 grain AEA pellets was 1011 FPS (the fist shot wasn't even registering on the chrony with the stock hammer), 49.8 FPE! The second shot was 1000 FPS, (that was 970 FPS with the stock hammer). I then backed off the HST adjuster another 2 full turns and it's shooting them at 990 FPS. I can't really back it out any more or the locking plug won't fit with the stock on. It's just a hair beyond flush with the back of the breech now. The regulator is set at 130BAR, I might try backing it off to 125 or 120 BAR and see how it does.

My low velocity first shot seems to be gone! The target below is the 3 shots at 35 yards. The first shot was actually the high POI, the other 2 are shots 2 and 3. I still have reg creep, but this heavier hammer seems to have overcome the problem.

View attachment 470836
Paul! That WORKED! Nice mod sir! You now have a consistent CANON! Woo Hoo!

View attachment 470836
Thats some great news! Im following this thread.

Already bought the SHP plenum, just waiting on the 600mm .22 coming back in stock in Europe

My reg must not creep one bit. After 24 hours and more hammer strike than needed, I don’t get a fast first shot. With no intentions of ever playing with the reg, hopefully it will remain solid. I personally don’t sweat some reg creep, as long as it doesn’t show up drastically on the chronograph. But 10b of creep is out of my comfort zone. Hope you like having a Huma in your gun. But a little advice. Find the reg setting with your junker reg while it’s in the gun. Then when you get a Huma or a new AMP, you know right were to set it and then forget it. That’s your best hope of having a rock solid reg.

Yea, but I still have reg creep! It had crept up to 140BAR after sitting for over 24 hours. Looks like the next mod is going to be a Huma Regulator.

For some reason FX reg doesn't always have enough lube or at times not very clean from the factory. A simple clean and re-lube could at least reduce the creep. There are videos on polishing the piston that helped, personally I had very little creep after the brass piston upgrade. Also give Utah air a call if it keeps on creeping then get a rebuild kit under warranty.

That being said all reg creeps! I have multiple HUMA regs and they also creep, one so bad from day one I want to throw it in the trash but it was 140 dollars from UK. Best thing to do is dry fire before you shoot and after filling the tank, doesn't cost anything.

Many people say this or that gun doesn't have reg creep because the first shot is always the same. That usually is achieved by mechanical limitations such as transfer port restriction and/or over driving the hammer, most more traditional guns usually do both. Obviously that also means power and adjustability would be limited but a lot of people are fine with that. My old unregulated BSA, crosman, air arms all did that across their 1000+ psi sweet spot pressure range so what's a little reg creep if you tune your gun that way.

Last edited:
Several months ago I started with 2-3 small drops of PTFE oil in the air line, after several refills or topups this shall be good enough to lube the internals especially the Valve Rod and orings.
Last time I polished the MK2 Reg pistons - according to my pictures taken - somewhere back in 2021, last week noticed started creeping again but that Impact was sitting in a guncase for over six months. Probably next week I will take the MK2 Reg apart, I am really interested to see what the PTFE traces do. In L2 I have not seen any buildup and the Reg didn't creep for over a year but the REPR is different design.

I had the same issue on my dreamline pre-Huma reg. I'd tune to 3.5turns on the internal HS tension, roll my power wheel to the most efficient and consistent setting after hitting roughly 35/40fps more than I want on Max and rolling back to the sweet spot. When I would go back to confirm the tune ... for example 25.4 to 890 I would get: 1st shot 835 889.1,888.6,889.3,891.0
Let it sit. Then first shot 841.2,891
6,888.5, 886.7,890.1,892.0,885.8. Let it sit 842.1 etc etc... I switched to huma and it improved. I don't know if it's an AMP reg thing or what.

I do remember back in my paintball days, spool valved guns would always have "FSDO" First shot drop off.

Reactions: Justaguy
My FX regulator was creeping so bad with my DRS. Around 8-9 bar and it was factory new.

I took it out and it was dirty as hell, like it had a film of oil over it.

Cleaned it up, now it creeps 3 bar. So much better.

I have inserted a Huma Wildcat mk3 hammer in it, it sells as a set of 2, I use the lightest one(13.2 gram if not mistaken), the DRS standard hammer is 12.6 normally.

Reg set at 89 bar, and with that Huma slightly heavier hammer my first slow shot is gone.

The reg creeps to 92 bar, but it doesnt affect my velocity.

I believe that the slightly heavier hammer will overcome it, it works for me.

Reactions: $p00kygH0ST
My FX regulator was creeping so bad with my DRS. Around 8-9 bar and it was factory new.

I took it out and it was dirty as hell, like it had a film of oil over it.

Cleaned it up, now it creeps 3 bar. So much better.

I have inserted a Huma Wildcat mk3 hammer in it, it sells as a set of 2, I use the lightest one(13.2 gram if not mistaken), the DRS standard hammer is 12.6 normally.

Reg set at 89 bar, and with that Huma slightly heavier hammer my first slow shot is gone.

The reg creeps to 92 bar, but it doesnt affect my velocity.

I believe that the slightly heavier hammer will overcome it, it works for me.
I used to set my reg pressure low as well. I found I'd get insane velocity at just 98-105bar, but my efficiency would suck. When I bumped up to 125bar I'd get the same velocities, but with the tube gun get about ~55-60 per fill over 36-40 before I hit 150(from 230).

On the bottle I currently stay at 127 and shoot 25.39 jsb/fx @890 with incredible precision from 20-100 with over 80~ shots from 250-150. 1.25bar per shot.

I used to set my reg pressure low as well. I found I'd get insane velocity at just 98-105bar, but my efficiency would suck. When I bumped up to 125bar I'd get the same velocities, but with the tube gun get about ~55-60 per fill over 36-40 before I hit 150(from 230).

On the bottle I currently stay at 127 and shoot 25.39 jsb/fx @890 with incredible precision from 20-100 with over 80~ shots from 250-150. 1.25bar per shot.
My .22 drs in 500mm with the big plenum gets 57 shots per fill. Honestly cant complain from that little cilinder.

Do you have a drs aswell?

My .22 drs in 500mm with the big plenum gets 57 shots per fill. Honestly cant complain from that little cilinder.

Do you have a drs aswell?
No. Dreamline and crown. Have been eying the DRS classic 22/600 very hard. Might pull the trigger Thursday... how are you enjoying yours?

Notos project gun, waiting on drop block, just slapped on the plenum, 380mm fx barrel and superior liner. The little thing is surprisingly badass

No. Dreamline and crown. Have been eying the DRS classic 22/600 very hard. Might pull the trigger Thursday... how are you enjoying yours?

Notos project gun, waiting on drop block, just slapped on the plenum, 380mm fx barrel and superior liner. The little thing is surprisingly badass

I was considering the 600mm aswell, but changed my mind because when you gonna add a moderator its kinda too long. You will need a moderator for the DRS since it has no shroud. 500mm with a moderator is perfect for me.

Im going to be honest, I had a love/hate relationship with the DRS.
The cocking is smooth, trigger is perfect. Only thing that frustrated me was the creep the reg had from the factory and the first slow shot. If I remember correctly, my first shot was like 75fps lower..

With the standard plenum the DRS was barking loud, even with a moderator. I think the big plenum is needed to calm it a bit down.

Now it sounds so relaxed and got a decent shotcount atleast. I got a FX Impact and Wildcat, it feels good to shoot a traditional looking airgun again.

Now since everything is perfect, I really like it. Its a simple airgun and with the synthetic stock it looks nice in my opinion.

I was considering the 600mm aswell, but changed my mind because when you gonna add a moderator its kinda too long. You will need a moderator for the DRS since it has no shroud. 500mm with a moderator is perfect for me.

Im going to be honest, I had a love/hate relationship with the DRS.
The cocking is smooth, trigger is perfect. Only thing that frustrated me was the creep the reg had from the factory and the first slow shot. If I remember correctly, my first shot was like 75fps lower..

With the standard plenum the DRS was barking loud, even with a moderator. I think the big plenum is needed to calm it a bit down.

Now it sounds so relaxed and got a decent shotcount atleast. I got a FX Impact and Wildcat, it feels good to shoot a traditional looking airgun again.

Now since everything is perfect, I really like it. Its a simple airgun and with the synthetic stock it looks nice in my opinion.
Agreed. Every fx rifle you buy is an individual. You have to really spend time with it and get to know it. But, once you learn its habits and what it likes. Get a good zero and my God. Lethal to anything within range.

Just last night I was shooting with my buddy. I let him use my crown I'm partial to my dreamline. We dropped 17 sparrows and starlings between 715 and 840pm. Head/crop shots on half dollar sized birds at 55-90 yards with only 2 misses in fairly fast quarter value winds using 25.39s

Also. U gotta get a notos. A little money and the thing is extremely accurate and efficient.

The $60 plenum kit, the 130 fx barrel kit and a liner and you're well over 800fps with 15.89s. One jagged hole groups. Not fx consistent but extreme spreads of 20 give or take

Screenshot_20240625_144841_Opera.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ries
Agreed. Every fx rifle you buy is an individual. You have to really spend time with it and get to know it. But, once you learn its habits and what it likes. Get a good zero and my God. Lethal to anything within range.

Just last night I was shooting with my buddy. I let him use my crown I'm partial to my dreamline. We dropped 17 sparrows and starlings between 715 and 840pm. Head/crop shots on half dollar sized birds at 55-90 yards with only 2 misses in fairly fast quarter value winds using 25.39s

Also. U gotta get a notos. A little money and the thing is extremely accurate and efficient.

The $60 plenum kit, the 130 fx barrel kit and a liner and you're well over 800fps with 15.89s. One jagged hole groups. Not fx consistent but extreme spreads of 20 give or take

View attachment 474944

Sadly I cannot hunt with an airgun in Belgium due the laws. If that was allowed, I think I would help a lot of farmers haha ;)

Saw some videos already about the Notos, its indeed a really accurate!

Sadly I cannot hunt with an airgun in Belgium due the laws. If that was allowed, I think I would help a lot of farmers haha ;)

Saw some videos already about the Notos, its indeed a really accurate!
I'm almost as happy putting holes in paper and knocking over little steel silhouettes as I am hearing the "THHHWAAACK" of an "animated" target. At least you can still laugh at UK laws and pity the UK shooters limited to sub-12

• Haha
Reactions: Ries
It certainly is. I just shot four shots out of it again today, 837, 853, 859, then 864. Pulled the Zbroia out of the safe because it’s the gun the DRS is competing with for a slot in the safe. The Zbroia has been sitting 6 months, 856, 855, 862, 862. Of the seven other brands of guns I own, no dry firing is required like @EDventure said. Maybe FX should start putting that in the owners manual.
Zbroia rifles are excellent, I would never buy an FX, the faux (plenum) magazine and plastic real magazine, WTH?

Reactions: L.Leon
Just got my DRS Classic this week and had the same problem. First shot was low 700’s then it settled in at @924 fps with the 18.1gr FX pellet with the regular plenum.
I installed the SHP and the numbers didn’t change that much, fps went to 950. I began to adjust the hammer spring and what a difference. I am now shooting the 25.39gr at 950fps. I did purchase the slug power kit but didn’t install it yet as well as the tuning, high power, spring; not installed.
I also purchased the brass jam plate and it sits directly behind the spring tension adjuster and doesn’t allow it to move back; better than using loc-tite in my opinion. Through this whole process I have yet to adjust or touch the regulator pressure.