FX Impact Javelin Slugs and a Turkey for dinner on the second day of the season

So I got me a turkey. Actually, this is my first turkey hunt ever and it is only my second time. This time I went by myself, and man what a difference. A lot easier. 35 yard headshot. Using 23 grain Javelin slugs.

6EC6538A-F6BF-4B15-9E14-4E05DB548C5D.jpeg

60B626DA-8F7B-44DF-B316-22D38887C9ED.jpeg

Attachments

• F9DE9A56-86E1-4D2D-B6A3-4D3B195B5C51.jpeg
    F9DE9A56-86E1-4D2D-B6A3-4D3B195B5C51.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Great job! What a trophy.
Turkey with an air gun.
Congrats.

Doc
Thank you. Funny story…so there were two gentlemen watching me stalk the turkeys. They started slate calling them to help me out. Bless them lol. I had to stalk behind them up a steep hill. The adrenaline rush was insane!

Reactions: Hal4son and swNCsw
Excellent head shot, that is not easy to do as they are usually very skittish and constantly moving their heads! Nice pics and videos! Congratulations on your first!
Yeah I did miss twice from about 75 yards out lol. They move around A LOT. Had to close the distance for an easier shot. Then again, my rifle wasn’t tuned. I arrived at 6:30 a.m. and had to do a 20 minute quick tune with the Javelins. I managed a 0.8 inch group at 40 yards and called it a tune (not really the best). I didn’t have the time or the place to set up my target to get that half an inch 5 shot group at 50 yards.

I just got my 23 grain Nielsen with the headsize that this barrel likes. I’m hopeful I can get a 100 yard headshot for the next one. I also had a shot at them at 140 yards. But, too far for my tune and there was no way I’d have landed a headshot. The big bore guys here would’ve had a field day with that line up. It was the perfect setup for a body shot.

Reactions: Ranchibi
I would love to hear your recipe for cooking wild turkey. I’ve only had it once before, and the woman that did it put it in a pressure cooker and it came out like shoe leather

Will do. You gotta brine it with a brine solution. I’m going to oven roast. My mother wanted to use a pressure cooker but I said nope.

Reactions: Mr.H
I would love to hear your recipe for cooking wild turkey. I’ve only had it once before, and the woman that did it put it in a pressure cooker and it came out like shoe leather
Garlic and melted butter injected into the breast in about 6-8 places. Cover breast with thick sliced bacon strips pinned down with toothpicks.
Cooked covered in roaster, SLOWLY until internal temperature reaches 165. oven temp no greater than 350 degrees.
Moist and tender. Yum.

Doc

I’ve had really good luck cooking turkeys in the pressure cooker. I’ve done the breast and legs and they turn out good. The legs you cook til they are ready to shred off the bone and make excellent tacos and enchilada. The breasts I cook whole and slice. Lots of good recipes out there.