FX impact M3 adjusting power for different weights

Hello guys I'm a new FX impact M3 700 mm barrel sniper .22 cal
I've been trying to tune my gun to shoot jsb knockout 25.39 grain and finally did after wasting a lot of time and ammo almost 2 tins my question is if I want to shoot lighter pellets if I only use the power wheel adjustment to lower the power and shoot 18 gr pellets if I do this do I have to retune my gun to shoot the same as it was before adjusting the power wheel second question is how you adjust the power wheel I currently have it on 16 do I go one step back from 16 to 15 , 14 , 13 etc or I can jump from 16 to 1 and when I want to shoot my jsb I can just go back to 16 sorry for my long story but I'm just trying to understand

You should just be able to turn the power wheel if both pellets are accurate kinda depends on how high your regs are set at also you can turn the power from 16 to 1. I normally try to dial backwards but it can be done that way if you want
When you change it are youbgetting the same performance and accuracy I tuned my gun to shoot jsb knockout slugs if i change the power wheel to low power and shoot 18gr pellets I don't get the same results when going back to max power I'm only changing the power wheel

Haven’t tried exactly what your doing but I have a setup on my m3 where I can go from 34.9 nsa slugs to 33.9 jsb pellets. I set the nsa for 920 wheel 16 fine at 5 and bumper to good sd had to loose about 5 fps with bumper. Then I turn down fine to 4.5 wheel still on 16 and turn bumper in 1/2 turn in again to get good sd. Shoots both 1” @ 100

Reactions: mohidris017
I shoot 23 gr Zans out of my M3. I have it tuned so that the slugs are at low 990 fps when on max setting.
I can turn it down to setting 11 and it shoots JSB 18.13’s in the 880’s and are pretty accurate.
I think if I tuned it to shoot just pellets it may be a bit more accurate but I use those pellets and that setting for starlings at the feedlot and keep shots to 50 yards or so and have no problem making one shot kills.
Yes it can be done but your pellet accuracy may be slightly compromised if the only adjustment you make is the macro wheel.

Reactions: mohidris017
I shoot 23 gr Zans out of my M3. I have it tuned so that the slugs are at low 990 fps when on max setting.
I can turn it down to setting 11 and it shoots JSB 18.13’s in the 880’s and are pretty accurate.
I think if I tuned it to shoot just pellets it may be a bit more accurate but I use those pellets and that setting for starlings at the feedlot and keep shots to 50 yards or so and have no problem making one shot kills.
Yes it can be done but your pellet accuracy may be slightly compromised if the only adjustment you make is the macro wheel.
Do you have the original barrel or are you using the slug liner. I have an M3 .22 sniper coming in a couple days and would appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks

Do you have the original barrel or are you using the slug liner. I have an M3 .22 sniper coming in a couple days and would appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks
My M3 is a 600 mm gun.
I tried the std. liner and the 23 gr Zans shot OK out of it. Put the slug liner in and twisted the speed up to an average of 985 and they became very accurate. Once I got over 1010 fps groups started to open up again.
I was told by FX and one of their dealers that I would not need to use a slug liner until I got over 34 gr slug weight.
My experience with slugs is to never say never. What works in one gun may not work in another or any other gun. This is why sharing tunes may get you in the ball park but is a generally worthless endeavor.

I understand what you’re trying to do because misinformation makes it sound simple. Can it be done? In some cases yes, but like someone else mentioned, one tune is going to be ugly. And how ugly depends on how far apart your projectiles are in weight. But it could be good enough depending on your standards. I have a M3 set up to shoot 25.39’s and 27.47’s. Those two pellets are only two grains apart. I can shoot them both at #12 on my wheel or the lighter pellet at #10 on my wheel. But here‘s the catch. In order to get the best groups with both pellets, neither of them are shooting at their optimal tune. In order to be a thumb wheel Jonny, I had to compromise. I’m not going to be shooting long range with the gun so I had a little more wiggle room.

Two tins of Ammo is not a lot. Understand that there are folks here not piping in that have “paid their dues” on air and Ammo. You have to find what your gun likes the best, and that comes with owning an impact. Sure, you can take some tidbit tips here snd there from folks but also know what has worked for them won’t work on your gun(for the plain and simple reason is that you don’t know what mods they’ve added/done, and how their hammer stop is adjusted).

Whatever you end up doing, when it’s all said and done and a week or two from now youve shot up two more tins and you’re still not getting the results you seek, tell yourself four tins is just scratching the surface, and don’t throw your new M3 against the wall. It is what it is, and in time it’ll click and you’ll have your impact figured out. Then you’ll look back at what you went thru and then you can feel good by saying “you’ve paid your dues”

My M3 is a 600 mm gun.
I tried the std. liner and the 23 gr Zans shot OK out of it. Put the slug liner in and twisted the speed up to an average of 985 and they became very accurate. Once I got over 1010 fps groups started to open up again.
I was told by FX and one of their dealers that I would not need to use a slug liner until I got over 34 gr slug weight.
My experience with slugs is to never say never. What works in one gun may not work in another or any other gun. This is why sharing tunes may get you in the ball park but is a generally worthless endeavor.
Thanks. I agree with sharing tunes. It gets you in the ball park but you still need to customize it for your gun.

The closer your two projectiles are in weight, the better odds for acceptable dual-tune results (dual tune being where you only touch the macro wheel). I've got a 600mm .22 M3 120bar shooting 20.2 NSAs at 965fps, PW=16. I can shoot JSB 18.1s at 890fps PW=8 for decent accuracy, but its not the ideal tune (ideal tune for pellets was around 85bar). Best use for a dual tune would be shooting long range with your slug and have the tune be ideal for that, then use your low power projectile at closer ranges where you won't notice a slight accuracy loss for that less-ideal tune.

I ended hardly shooting JSB 18.1s because the NSA 20.2s were working even at lower speeds, so I'd just turn the power wheel down for closer shooting and not have to switch projectiles. I also wouldn't have to make any windage adjustments, just an elevation shift. Those 20.2s aren't grouping any more though, and that's a whole other can of worms...

I have the same gun, I tried a few different lighter weight slugs through the stock pellet liner and gave up. I like to shoot a lot so slugs would be expensive anyway. I found that my particular gun doesn’t group 18.1’s very well at 880. I have them shooting at 910 and it will shoot sub moa at 50. I’m afraid to mess with it🤨. I know in theory I should be able to put it back where it is but it’s shooting so good I’m leaving it alone.

I have the same gun, I tried a few different lighter weight slugs through the stock pellet liner and gave up. I like to shoot a lot so slugs would be expensive anyway. I found that my particular gun doesn’t group 18.1’s very well at 880. I have them shooting at 910 and it will shoot sub moa at 50. I’m afraid to mess with it🤨. I know in theory I should be able to put it back where it is but it’s shooting so good I’m leaving it alone.
And you will be a very happy owner and rarely have to waste pellets.

Reactions: scubajeeper
In my hands the M3 and other FX guns like the wildcat and maverick (which use a HST screw instead of a micro wheel) all work well using the macro wheel to adjust to different ammo/speeds. Some people argue that ES will be tighter if you retune each projectile to the optimum reg pressure and hammer, but I’ve never observed it. Further, some (incl. me) would argue that what you end up with here is advantageous because the lighter projectiles end up being shot with higher than needed reg pressure and less hammer, which means a shorter sharper burst of air.

I would however advise not changing the macro from 16 to 1 or vice versa (in one click) because that a large jump in the detents. Rather, always move it 16-15-14… or 1-2-3….