N/A FX Impact M4 or something else?

Will be shooting 10 to 15yard max to take out backyard tree rats in suburb neighborhood, so noise level is pretty high on priority. Been taking them out from 2nd floor shooting downward using the ground (soft clay) as backstop, therefore a pass through isn't going to be a problem. i have taken them out with Beeman R7 .177 with headshot, but Springer just isn't fun to shoot compare to PCP and i hate the ping noise from the spring/piston. The Umarex Notos .22 is agile and get the job done too but lack knocking down power, while my Avenge X is just way too long and clumsy (well over 4ft long) to maneuver in tight spaces.

I'm looking to up the fun factor and I think it's going to be even more satisfactory to send the rats flying with more FPE, lots of power with hollow point for maximum energy dumb is my goal, slugs will just pass through at this range i think, hollow point pellet probably have the most expansion.

FX Impact M4 is on my radar, I thought about the Huben K1, but i don't like the idea of non removable magazine and it's a pain in the rear to clean the barrel. Was looking at the Western Sidewinder that can do semi and full auto, but i keep reading that it's quite loud and definitely not as backyard friendly as the M4 from what I gathered. Is the M4 the safetest route to go? at least most of the bugs have been worked out by now, or is there something else i should consider? 😁 Looking to buy brand new from one of the reputable retailer online, not at all interested in getting used stuff.

At your maximum stated backyard range of 15 yards…? An M4 would definitely get it done, but so would many other PCPs. Am surprised the Notos isn’t effective for you. “Knock down power”? At the ranges you’re describing, pass throughs are the norm. So there is no maximal energy dump as the pellets, hollow points included simply zip on through. Shot placement is the key, particularly with low power airguns. The Brits kill lots of squirrels at ranges further than 15 yards with barely 12 FPE PCPs… My favorite pesting gun generates 17 FPE at the muzzle, I have killed squirrels with it out to 50 yards.

get a taipan vet if you’re set on spending that much money. otherwise, a notos is really all you need. 10-15 yards is overkill for an FX M4 or even a vet. fx has a huge following but also a huge non-fan base and nobody really says anything bad about the taipans. that says a lot. the notos is good all the way out to 50 out of the box.. that’s a little over 4x the distance you mentioned. if it’s still too loud for you, get a blowgun 😂

At that short range you can try "hunting" type pellets. Types such as Polymags are devastating but not known for long distance accuracy in a lot of guns but should do OK within the ranges you mention. Cheaper to try those types out (Polymags, Hades, etc.) than a new gun. Don't know much of anything about Notos but hollow point slugs are devastating too if Notos will shoot them at that yardage.

The Notos is very effective and super quiet, definitely getting the job done with 18fpe and getting head shot 10 out of 10 times at 10 yard with the Hades or even the el cheapo CPHP.

Just itching to up the fun factor with more FPE to send the rats flying. LOL
We’ll get what you want and be happy I’d say.

Reactions: Ranchibi
The Notos is very effective and super quiet, definitely getting the job done with 18fpe and getting head shot 10 out of 10 times at 10 yard with the Hades or even the el cheapo CPHP.

Just itching to up the fun factor with more FPE to send the rats flying. LOL
The rats may, or may not fly… Get what you want and post up “your” results…

get a taipan vet if you’re set on spending that much money. otherwise, a notos is really all you need. 10-15 yards is overkill for an FX M4 or even a vet. fx has a huge following but also a huge non-fan base and nobody really says anything bad about the taipans. that says a lot. the notos is good all the way out to 50 out of the box.. that’s a little over 4x the distance you mentioned. if it’s still too loud for you, get a blowgun 😂

The Taipan Vet 2 looks like a great gun, going to do more research and reading to it, love the high capacity CC bottle and came with moderator, it pretty much met all the criteria and about $500 cheaper than the Impact M4 :D If i were to get the Vet 2 should i get it from Talon Tune or Utah?

Are these the same gun? Utah seems to have it cheaper, couldn't tell any difference in spec

1727572064703.png

1727572110363.png

Last edited: