FX Independence

anyone have one ?

Independence right full.jpg

It's very versatile. I have the hammer spring set to max and pump the reservoir to 220 bar for each shot. You essentially act like your own regulator. It's possible to make several shots in a row without pumping if a quick follow-up is needed. But then you have to pump more to restore the pressure to your tuning baseline.

I found three pellets shot with a similar trajectory (minimal windage shift) on high power ('...' on transfer port knob).

A different pellet was best at mid ('..') and low power ('.'). FX put only punch marks on the transfer port adjustment knob with 3 detents for low medium & high.

On low power, only one pump is required to restore the pressure to nominal, great for plinking. Three pumps for medium where I do most of my pesting, and five pumps for high.

It has a very well designed shroud with a single baffle in the end cap. Extremely quiet on low and medium.

Feinwerk
FX Independence Pellet Trajectory Table 20141002.jpg

Last edited:
Last week a .22 Independence in excellent condition, was for sale at AOA, for a really good price. It didn’t last long.
I was afraid to go back to AOA and look at it again, AirGunShooter
Thankfully it sold or I would now own 2 of them
Mine also is a 22
Bought it well cared for over the summer
The previous owner liked JSB 18.1
Theyshoot great, but I prefer the 15.9's and shoot from 190 Bar for 3 very consistent shots

@Feinwerk mentioned that he has adjusted the hammer spring.
How is that accomplished.?
I do not see an obvious adjuster at the back of the tube
Not that I need to play with it yet
But it would be good to know

My only quibble is that the gun is a bit heavy, with center of gravity a little too forward
All in all, that is really minor

Ed

Reactions: maxtrouble
After removing the stock you can see a large brass screw on the back of the bolt block. It has a wide slot in it for use with a large flat screwdriver if I recall correctly. I used dial calipers to measure the depth of the screw as set by the factory for my baseline and noted that distance in my tuning notes. Then I turned it clockwise as far as it go to bring the velocities of low and medium into ranges that I thought were useful.

Then I experimented with reservoir pressure and settled on 220 bar, which seemed give a good balance of accuracy and surprisingly quiet report with this spring setting.

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
They had kind of a silent recall on these with the original pump mechanism parts made out of mild steel that began to rust as moisture collected inside. I had to send mine back to AOA inside of one year for warranty repair and they upgraded the pump components with stainless steel parts if I recall correctly.

It's a little tricky to disassemble and reseal yourself. I downloaded some procedures where you have to measure some distances to place set screws so that the parts don't jam up mechanically while pumping. I haven't needed to reseal it yet but I think I'm up to the task mechanically when the time comes.

Mine has started leaking again I think from the Foster fill port, which I never use. I had to clean it out once before and it may be time to do that again.

Regards,
Feinwerk

Reactions: beerthief
I have had my .25 for about 3 plus years and haven't done a thing to it. Still holds air perfectly and shoots lights out. It is the ultimate squirrel gun for me. I use JSB Hades and it just hammers them. I love this gun!!!!! Just wish it was a tad bit lighter. I have an Arken 4-16-44 on it. Never cleaned the barrel or adjusted a thing on it since I got it.

Reactions: Feinwerk