FX Fx maverick vp

In .177 i see practically no difference between std barrel and Heavy barrel when it come to 13 grain slugs or lighter.
In this caliber i will call 16 grain heavy, but some do have success shooting those with a heavy barrel, but that is not my personal experience, i had to by another brand rifle to be able to do that.

I have just shot 10 grain slugs, quite enjoyable out to 120 yards, and i am not talking barn door size targets, really i prefer to shoot 2 inch targets, but that day no targets just things down there like thin posts ASO
I was quite amazed and promised myself that i better restock some of the 10 grain slugs CUZ i am now out of those.

SOOOOOO easy! Love mine!
Just posted this at Phil original post.
Thought it might interest you!

Just a new piece of info for you. I was having trouble getting consistent strings without 1-2 high variance (20 fps )shots. Also was getting some creep in 2nd reg of 7-8 bar from 78 bar to 85-86.
So I went back and checked the front reg and found issues-

The front reg had a bad oring which I replaced ( I thought it was set for 150 bar!). Actually the bad o ring was allowing the full 250 bar to “press” on the 2nd reg, causing creep. I also thought it would be better to have less pressure on 2nd reg so I re set the first reg to about 40 bar higher than 2nd reg.
Bingo! All issues were fixed! Get 2-3 bar creep now but the std deviation is 1-2 fps and there are NO unusual, big jumps in the shot strings. I finally see what you are getting!
Thanks for this innovation😃!

Your going to want a heavier hammer for running over 18gr pellets or slugs . The fx .25 cal hammer weighs just over 13g works great , in the .22, for ammo over 18g and is the only change needed imo . The factory 11g hammer works good up to18gr. I've been down the slug road and the AEA or JTS pellets are far more accurate and less expensive to shoot. I could get some dimes at 50 with slugs but not consistently . Even with a low SD. I would suggest getting some pellets and break it in while getting a good understanding of the adjustments. Then try slugs .

The best thing I did with my .22 vp Maverick is tune it well for 25.3gr AEA pellets and leave it alone. And a 300cc cf bottle for a handy 6lb 11oz . I'm also running the slug port and getting around 2 fps standard deviation. Here's a short string with JTS 25.39 pellets .

Screenshot_20240922-101859_FX Radar.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MongooseV8
You’ve read my mind! Getting a heavier hammer soon. Also already ordered some AEA pellets so I won’t have to weigh and sort the FX and JSBs to the nearest .1 grain!
Don’t mind the sort issue as I’m retired, always looking for something to do!!
The charts Phil has made are spot on for me now with lighter pellets. Have you tried lighter slugs?
I am hoping for much heavier pellets in .22, too. I think AEA sent some 28 grain ones.

Ty for the replies. I have the .25 version. Just recieved the easy tune with phil. Waiting for chrpnograph. Took the barrel off over the weekend and found out it was shipped and tested with slug port from the pellet shop. Have been shooting the hades and neilson slugs 25/26 grain. Been accurate so far up to 50yds. Slugs and pellets. Slugs past 75yds kind of all over. Havent tried pellets.