FX FX or other ?

I can’t take credit fully on this post , it was inspired by a newbie’s post regarding their upgrading to a tier 1 gun. Theirs was an “FX or not” , for which there was multiple opinions on both sides. If I remember correctly, the pro FX proponents claimed the tournament wins or strong showing touts FX superior build, those like myself and others claim, rightfully so, that these guns are specifically modified and tuned and not that way out of box. Whereas there and plenty of other brands that are rock solid, dependable, far easier to maintain. With both pellets and slugs, choked or unchoked barrels. One that starts into 50 or 100 yard target plinking doesn’t need to plunge into an FX impact to get great results. I would definitely advocate for simpler designed guns for new shooters to become familiar with, eventually, when the bug bites them, they can dive into FX . My stance favoring the EU brands is well established, I’m not intending this as a hit piece on FX. It’s just not a recommendation I’d give a newbie to PCP.

If one wants an out of box (literally) laser accurate, rugged, simply constructed, virtually trouble free, LOW maintenance shooter (& doesn't care about slugs) FX Royale platform fits the bill. Their "tactical" platforms (i.e. Impact, Maverick, etc.) not so much (without tinkering or tweaking). Those platforms are, IMHO, not that great for a beginner. Too much frustration not enough shooting fun!

I agree 100%. Too many say it's all user error if there are issues on them. Then I say don't point new people to them. Point them elsewhere to start off. If they want to go to an FX later on have at it. But they aren't designed for newer shooters with no experience. Heck I have alot of experience and I don't want one lol. Too much tinkering for my liking. I wish FX would still do the Bobcat. I would probably have one myself if they did in .22.

I understand that FX makes variety of gun for variety of users.

FX Impact and similar other easily tunable models sometimes create issues for the users due to their lack of knowledge.

Impact appears to be a tuners gun. Extremely versatile.

But for others the latest model of FX is very simple in design and does not need an extra ordinary user to get maximum out of it

So I understand that the buyer should select the model as per his capabilities and need of use.

Bhaur

Reactions: coastal drifter
20240617_231400.jpg

There is a tuner on my custom built 22lr benchrest rifle because there is no one magic brand/grade of ammo..... even across batch numbers of the same brand/grade of ammo.

You buy the best ammo and you tune the barrel to optimize the rifle to the ammo.

When I got into .177 air guns and realized the number of brands/grades/weights of diabolo ammo that was out there.........the Impact M3 made perfect sense to me.

The center fire benchers use different bullets/ charges/primers based on conditions. They don't show up at the range with just one load.

The Impact allows me to do everything a center fire bencher does by adjusting plenum pressure and air flow duration for different weight pellets.

I don't show up at the range with just one brand/grade/weight of pellet. For my .177 Impact I show up with 4. For my .30 Impact I show up with 2 and I am working on a third.

Each weight has a slightly different tune and I choose the weight based on range conditions.

So I agree, the Impact is not for a new or recreational shooter .

For instance an FX impact can be tuned to great extend. But the thing is, you needn't do it. It shoots just great out of the box. If you want to leave it there that's totally fine. But if you want to tune all the way to make it into whatever you want, you are free to do so.
An Impact was my first PCP, and I didn't find it intimidating.

I agree 100%. Too many say it's all user error if there are issues on them. Then I say don't point new people to them. Point them elsewhere to start off. If they want to go to an FX later on have at it. But they aren't designed for newer shooters with no experience. Heck I have alot of experience and I don't want one lol. Too much tinkering for my liking. I wish FX would still do the Bobcat. I would probably have one myself if they did in .22.
I owned the MK1 Bobcat, it was a great gun. I now own a wildcat MK3 compact (tube). I actually like it better. It shoots just as well in a smaller package.

10.jpg

Reactions: Dairyboy
View attachment 499422
There is a tuner on my custom built 22lr benchrest rifle because there is no one magic brand/grade of ammo..... even across batch numbers of the same brand/grade of ammo.

You buy the best ammo and you tune the barrel to optimize the rifle to the ammo.

When I got into .177 air guns and realized the number of brands/grades/weights of diabolo ammo that was out there.........the Impact M3 made perfect sense to me.

The center fire benchers use different bullets/ charges/primers based on conditions. They don't show up at the range with just one load.

The Impact allows me to do everything a center fire bencher does by adjusting plenum pressure and air flow duration for different weight pellets.

I don't show up at the range with just one brand/grade/weight of pellet. For my .177 Impact I show up with 4. For my .30 Impact I show up with 2 and I am working on a third.

Each weight has a slightly different tune and I choose the weight based on range conditions.

So I agree, the Impact is not for a new or recreational shooter .
This was exactly my reasoning for getting an M3

Reactions: Troy Bakel
I can’t take credit fully on this post , it was inspired by a newbie’s post regarding their upgrading to a tier 1 gun. Theirs was an “FX or not” , for which there was multiple opinions on both sides. If I remember correctly, the pro FX proponents claimed the tournament wins or strong showing touts FX superior build, those like myself and others claim, rightfully so, that these guns are specifically modified and tuned and not that way out of box. Whereas there and plenty of other brands that are rock solid, dependable, far easier to maintain. With both pellets and slugs, choked or unchoked barrels. One that starts into 50 or 100 yard target plinking doesn’t need to plunge into an FX impact to get great results. I would definitely advocate for simpler designed guns for new shooters to become familiar with, eventually, when the bug bites them, they can dive into FX . My stance favoring the EU brands is well established, I’m not intending this as a hit piece on FX. It’s just not a recommendation I’d give a newbie to PCP.
I went with the DRS as my 'first-ish' gun. If Air Arms produced more power... I wouldn't have even considered an FX.

Well most competition guns are tweaked regardless of make. Very few guns out of the box are ready to go especially bench rest guns. I don't do it but look on the lines and every gun has been modified and have custom barrels or something not even available for the public to buy! I have an impact mk2 that I sent to someone off these forums and I paid him to redo it all and make it a shooter. Would I go through that effort nope! I'm a hunter not a tinkier. I think there are just as good of guns with way more dependability and less maintenance needed than an especially an impact. Too each his own

My 25 impact I got lucky and got a good liner and it shoots amazing but each day I pick it up to shoot I ask myself is this the day something starts leaking or breaks- I hate that but it's the truth

Well most competition guns are tweaked regardless of make. Very few guns out of the box are ready to go especially bench rest guns. I don't do it but look on the lines and every gun has been modified and have custom barrels or something not even available for the public to buy! I have an impact mk2 that I sent to someone off these forums and I paid him to redo it all and make it a shooter. Would I go through that effort nope! I'm a hunter not a tinkier. I think there are just as good of guns with way more dependability and less maintenance needed than an especially an impact. Too each his own

My 25 impact I got lucky and got a good liner and it shoots amazing but each day I pick it up to shoot I ask myself is this the day something starts leaking or breaks- I hate that but it's the truth
I wouldnt worry to much I have owned or still own 7 FX rifles that never needed even a breech Oring. It's like watching the news if you hear it enough you start to believe it. BTW I have seen every brand of airgun on hear that needed something fixed.

Reactions: AussieSteve
I wouldnt worry to much I have owned or still own 7 FX rifles that never needed even a breech Oring. It's like watching the news if you hear it enough you start to believe it. BTW I have seen every brand of airgun on hear that needed something fixed.
Unless I get a great deal on another impact I'll never own another just because what "extras" had to be added to make the poi problem go away. Not worth it in my opinion

Unless I get a great deal on another impact I'll never own another just because what "extras" had to be added to make the poi problem go away. Not worth it in my opinion
Bone stock, shoots lights out month after month. 600mm barrel 900fps 8 mags on reg. (224) shots. I'm loving it.

7.jpg

I’m not intending this as a hit piece on FX.

I believe you have done the exact opposite!

Imagine if these major airgun events, introduced a new class, based simply off the manufactures suggested retail price.
A sub $750 MSRP class, (including scope) , would be very interesting.
We would surely see an influx of new, ultra-affordable air guns from all the high dollar, big name manufactures.

I believe you have done the exact opposite!

Imagine if these major airgun events, introduced a new class, based simply off the manufactures suggested retail price.
A sub $750 MSRP class, (including scope) , would be very interesting.
We would surely see an influx of new, ultra-affordable air guns from all the high dollar, big name manufactures.
I'm sorry, I have read this response 3 times. I don't understand how your response indicates any malice from me regarding FX. This post was about an FX Impact as a first "high end" PCP for a newbie. I recommended against that particular platform for reasons I posted earlier, plus my 2 cents mentioning possibly better models / brands that might be more favorable for a new shooter moving up to more tier 1 level guns.

So, with this being the subject at hand, how exactly have I done the "exact opposite" ?

I'm sorry, I have read this response 3 times. I don't understand how your response indicates any malice from me regarding FX. This post was about an FX Impact as a first "high end" PCP for a newbie. I recommended against that particular platform for reasons I posted earlier, plus my 2 cents mentioning possibly better models / brands that might be more favorable for a new shooter moving up to more tier 1 level guns.

So, with this being the subject at hand, how exactly have I done the "exact opposite" ?

I think he means that you actually encouraged the purchase of an FX.