FX FX problems

Its a oh my god i have to have an impact latest and gratest, there are so many guns out there that smoke an impact its all about the build and how you tune, one of my many pcps 600 dollars no regulater and i smoke poop at 120 yards way more than anyone should ever need to shoot, but i here you some people have to follow the craze and i guess its ok if thats what you want but i rather lead
A classic response from a relative NEWB to the forum.
"My Harbor Freight tools smoke all your Milwaukee tools, and my Yugo smokes your Lexus. and my stock Ruger .22 smokes your Anschutz 54"...... WHATEVER!
Not much help to the OP.

I wanted an Impact since the first video I watched on them from Ted’s Holdover. I didn’t buy one because of the cost, just more money than I would spend on an air rifle. In 2022 I got viral meningitis and for 3 months wondered if I’d ever be able to see correctly again, be able to go back to work or enjoy doing anything. I had Bells Palsey on my left and then it moved to the right, double vision kept me on the couch and inside for 7 weeks before I forced myself out to walk but mostly had to do it at night. I was a wreck…. Vision took almost exactly the 90 days to be normal that my eye doctor said and I was able to go back to work. About 2 weeks after I got back to work I told my wife I was spending $2300 to buy the air rifle I wanted. I can’t say she was mad but she wasn’t happy either. I didn’t care, I just a true life changing experience and decided I was going to do something while I was able and could enjoy it. I bought an FX Impact M3, 700m in 25 caliber.

I absolutely love this rifle and never experience POI shifts. I guess some do but I don’t. And really, I wouldn’t care if I did. I’m not taking it on a once in a lifetime hunt where I may only take one shot at the game animal of a lifetime. When I go to a farm to shoot pigeons. I can take a shot to check it. It’s quiet, pellets are cheap and it takes seconds. Wind from shot to shot at pigeons sitting on top of an 80 foot silo is going to bigger factor, especially when there are no trees near or as tall as the silos. So, I guess I’ll keep my Impact and will continue to love it…

FX just produces a product with a great shooting experience.
If you shoot from a bench only at paper I can see that. But I could never find that being a great shooting experience if I had to deal with POI shifts using my gun as a truck gun for pesting. "Dealing" with POI shifts isn't something we should have to deal with when we pay the kind of money we do on PCPs. Regardless of how nice they might be to shoot. To me a great shooting experience is knowing that if I take my gun I haven't shot in 2 weeks out, throwing it in the seat of my truck, bouncing around on our dirt roads and having a pest show up and nail them long range first shot, no warm ups for the reg or checking my zero. Having confidence in my airgun to hit where it needs to no matter what is a great shooting experience.

Now take that maverick 2 hrs away from home and see if it still hits its mark. I had 2 did the same you did here. Ill never own another maverick
I drank the kool-aid and bought a maverick as my first high end pcp....I bought a Taipan vet2 while I was waiting for my maverick to come back from warranty work right out of the box. I like the gun but don't trust it, something is always coming loose. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford another gun. I won't even sell the maverick because I think it's a lemon.

Reactions: Solo1
I agree with you Dairyboy but I don't think FX are the only airguns that shift POI sometimes. If I do not shoot my Air Maks Caiman X for several days is seems very likely it will have shifted a little. For plinking I would not see it but I like shooting 30 yard challenge targets and it is certainly noticable on those. If I shoot it every day it may be fine. But not if it sits for several days. It is a fairly thick CZ barrel - so much different than FXs. It's wearing an Arken EPL-4 scope and the screws are tight. To be clear, the zero is very dependable after a few hours and normally after only a day. But after several days it seems to move.

My 3 P35s are much more dependable for the first shot after they've sat awhile. My 177 sat for several weeks and was dead on the first shot. I am pretty sure the 22 is also dependable. I don't shoot the 25 as much but the first year I had it I killed over a dozen squirrels with it. No time to mess around re-zeroing when a squirrel decides to pay a visit.

I think shifting POI is partly a gun-to-gun kind of thing and partially a design-of-the-gun kind of thing. The thin barrel of the FX is just not the recommended way to get a barrel that stays stable. Some may be there is a reason benchrest guns come with thick barrels. I know that FX wins lots of competitions but I would be surprised if the shooters can depend on the zero they established the first day when they come back the second. I also wonder if clamping the barrel to the action along it's length like the P35 does and I think the Wildcat does may not help. It should make it act like a much shorter stiffer barrel.

A classic response from a relative NEWB to the forum.
"My Harbor Freight tools smoke all your Milwaukee tools, and my Yugo smokes your Lexus. and my stock Ruger .22 smokes your Anschutz 54"...... WHATEVER!
Not much help to the OP.
Newb bin on here a while havent even seen you on the leader board

Reactions: Joedirt199
If you shoot from a bench only at paper I can see that. But I could never find that being a great shooting experience if I had to deal with POI shifts using my gun as a truck gun for pesting. "Dealing" with POI shifts isn't something we should have to deal with when we pay the kind of money we do on PCPs. Regardless of how nice they might be to shoot. To me a great shooting experience is knowing that if I take my gun I haven't shot in 2 weeks out, throwing it in the seat of my truck, bouncing around on our dirt roads and having a pest show up and nail them long range first shot, no warm ups for the reg or checking my zero. Having confidence in my airgun to hit where it needs to no matter what is a great shooting experience.
For sure would be very frustrating for hunting. You don’t want to worry about that for hunting. That would negate the smoothness. The biggest draw back for me on the impact as a hunting platform was the low velocity first shot. My maverick platforms don’t do that. I’ve just never had anything as far as poi that was overly concerning. Just a cpl clicks at most on the scope which to me could likely just be due to wind differences day to day. Hard for me to categorize small shifts as the gun.

I agree with you Dairyboy but I don't think FX are the only airguns that shift POI sometimes. If I do not shoot my Air Maks Caiman X for several days is seems very likely it will have shifted a little. For plinking I would not see it but I like shooting 30 yard challenge targets and it is certainly noticable on those. If I shoot it every day it may be fine. But not if it sits for several days. It is a fairly thick CZ barrel - so much different than FXs. It's wearing an Arken EPL-4 scope and the screws are tight. To be clear, the zero is very dependable after a few hours and normally after only a day. But after several days it seems to move.

My 3 P35s are much more dependable for the first shot after they've sat awhile. My 177 sat for several weeks and was dead on the first shot. I am pretty sure the 22 is also dependable. I don't shoot the 25 as much but the first year I had it I killed over a dozen squirrels with it. No time to mess around re-zeroing when a squirrel decides to pay a visit.

I think shifting POI is partly a gun-to-gun kind of thing and partially a design-of-the-gun kind of thing. The thin barrel of the FX is just not the recommended way to get a barrel that stays stable. Some may be there is a reason benchrest guns come with thick barrels. I know that FX wins lots of competitions but I would be surprised if the shooters can depend on the zero they established the first day when they come back the second. I also wonder if clamping the barrel to the action along it's length like the P35 does and I think the Wildcat does may not help. It should make it act like a much shorter stiffer barrel.
I agree that it's not just FX. It's way too common for these airguns though. I can say with confidence the only airguns I haven't had to mess with my scope setting once set were AAA Evols, Edgun R5Ms and Taipan Veterans. There might have been more guns that didn't but I didn't keep them long enough to really know as other parts of the guns I didn't enjoy or didn't fit me. But common denominator with the above guns all had barrels threaded into the reciever. That has become my preference on guns now knowing how dependable they are.

Reactions: bigbuck89
Now take that maverick 2 hrs away from home and see if it still hits its mark. I had 2 did the same you did here. Ill never own another maverick
Luckily not my experience. I have two and the mav is a badass platform. I’m curious as to what is not hitting the same spot when taken 2 miles away. 1/4-1/2” , a foot, 6” off ??

For sure would be very frustrating for hunting. You don’t want to worry about that for hunting. That would negate the smoothness. The biggest draw back for me on the impact as a hunting platform was the low velocity first shot. My maverick platforms don’t do that. I’ve just never had anything as far as poi that was overly concerning. Just a cpl clicks at most on the scope which to me could likely just be due to wind differences day to day. Hard for me to categorize small shifts as the gun.
My point of impact is always off right out of the case. Sounds same as your experience. Couple few clicks and I'm back on target, but next thing you know I'm clicking turrets again and when I look I'm back to zero 🤷‍♂️ maybe I'm the thing that needs to settle in.

Agreed. We have different uses in guns and that's what's great about our sport. Many different uses and guns to pick from. I feel I'm a special case as I'm very picky with the guns I own as I'm harder on them than most.

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Marauders are also known for POI issues as well, if they get cased up or leaned against a wall. Not all, but I've had it in 2 of the 3 I had. One of those was actually a fortitude, but basically the same gun.

As for out of a hard case, and put moderator on each time and still be dead nuts on, is my 22 revere. It also has zero shift with or without moderator. I love that gun.

I think the Impact is meant to be a tinkerer/tuner's gun. If you want an FX that doesn't have to be petted and stroked before firing, get a dreamline/crown/Wildcat. Never seem to have that POI issue like the Impact.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Probably not going to fix things people keep buying and fixing themselves by buying the Band-Aids that they sell.

That was one reason I went with Daystate and Brocock. I still have my Redwolf .22hp and picked up a Ghost in .25.

Smitty
Yup, simply buy any BRK, unbox, zero and get to shooting. Very rare to hear BRK owners complaining about their guns. At the +2K price point these PCPs command? Zero issues via good QC, “right out the box”, nothing less is acceptable…🙏