FX Superior liners - are they done right?

this fenomena and if there would be questionable "issues" a multi-million company would take care of...
Unless they don't. There was a whole batch of defective .25 slug liner released. They had just one land. poop happens.

I know there was one person who removed the very last 2mm of the liner and he experienced better consistency.

I also had the following liner:

IMG_20220504_153058~3.jpg
IMG_20220504_153052~3.jpg

This is the same liner rotated by 180 degrees. Look how uneven that crown was.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Another thing is bore consistency. I've never had a liner which had consistent diameter through the bore. The slug alwas goes tight, loose, then tight again and so on until it reaches the choke.
That's odd, too. Mine have been dead consistent. But I had pellet a, slug a, and a early superior.

Reactions: Airgun Al
I have 3 liners (2 Superior, 1 Heavy) and they all look like yours. I think what you are seeing is the lead in the "groove" not the lands. Although FX liners dont have traditional lands/grooves as you pointed out. At least thats how mine are, what looks like rifling is actually lead dust/residue. And they shoot well, so I guess Id say they are dont right. Are you having accuracy problems with yours?

Reactions: .20calguy
Right. I tried JB Bore Bright. I have three .30 liners and I polished them to different degrees. The most accurate liner is the one which came with the gun. It seems FX tests the whole guns before sending them but individual liners are not verified.
When were they cleaned last were they ever accurate if you clean them to much can cause bad accuracy too

Right. I tried JB Bore Bright. I have three .30 liners and I polished them to different degrees. The most accurate liner is the one which came with the gun. It seems FX tests the whole guns before sending them but individual liners are not verified.
If it were me, I would call up FX/Retailer and talk to them about maybe replacing. Imo if you already cleaned, tested, leaded, cleaned, polished, tested again and are getting lead fouling on the lands with poor accuracy its likely defective. FX claims little to no lead fouling with their proprietary liner design, and for how much it costs to shoot one I have high expectations. :giggle:

Reactions: Seeker
When were they cleaned last were they ever accurate if you clean them to much can cause bad accuracy too
True. There is an ideal level of bore finish which minimizes the leading problem. However, if the bore is too tight in relation to the projectile then nothing really helps.

I buy the liners in some time intervals to verify their quality. I am yet to experience an accurate one.

I am positive the lead residue is on the lands. I have poor accuracy with them.
I figure the slugs leave much more residue then the pellets.
I have couple liners as well, last summer started crowning one by one, shoot each at 100 meters and I cannot confirm it was a difference in group sizes - crown or not to crown. This lead me to grab a jewellery lupe and look into the muzzzle end. All my liners - how they press in the rifling - the rifling ends before the end of the tube 3-4-5mm inside the hole...so the crown doesn't do nothing.
The lead-in I polished, I saw edges after the cutters and I blend them in with a hand drill and reshaped cowhide heads :) .
Firelapping or polishing makes a difference, crowning is not ... with my liners.

Reactions: 2L8
Sadly .. we'll assume that many shooting modern high power PCPs have little to no Powder gun experience ?

Pure lead projectiles start smearing lead onto bore surfaces there about 800fps and above.
Antimony or Tin in small percentage does harden lead raising the speed a tad before it again smears itself to bore surfaces.

Surface finishes & lubes can help, but won't eliminate the issue. Surface feet per second of one material against another is the issue.
Gilded lead comes next .. then full contact jacketing for this exact reason in powder guns.

FYI ....