FX Superior liners - are they done right?

It is beyond my perception how it can be accurate.
No other way around it, you will need to try it for yourself. Liner in original mfg state vs liner that was cut at the end to expose the pressed "rifling".
Edit:
I did not know when I was crowning the first two x700 liners, I made it so perfect looking but ones shoot it the issue was not a crown, but the dry spots inside. The next two x600 liners I paid attention and I was testing step by step.
This is just me, your case may be different

Last edited:
Reactions: Seeker
Hi,

Please take a look at the leading marks of these liners:

View attachment 328875View attachment 328876
It is evident there are no lands at the very end of the bore (EDIT: muzzle end, crown). I checked a couple of liners in multiple calibers and they are all like that. I think it may be dictated by the production process of making the rifling from the outside. They can't make the rifling to the very end because it would make a constriction there as there is no more material at the very end of the barrel - the material is from one side only so the steel would react in a different way there. However, there is no problem to remove the very end of the choke using a lathe and recrown. It is more expensive in production but can it help with precision?

If you exaggerate that the liner is like here:
View attachment 328877

What's your opinion on that?

Thanks!
Yes those newer liner comes like that, it's better in accuracy. Though they look simple round it's diameter is smaller just enough to redie the projectile into round shape just when exiting barrel. It's just a very short length so it doesn't effect with the spinning. Liner have only 3 lane grooves, and in earlier pallets FX liner the projectile are sent in triangular shape spinning. I guess they decide they want to send round spinning pallets this time :)

I do not know any other barrel with a smoothbore at the muzzle.
If ur accessible with machinaries. Try make one with smooth choke (not greater length then 2-3mm) and that smooth section just slightly tighter then the rest of the barrel bore (.. u can try external steel cold rolling method). And see the result 🙂, u'll surprise urself if u do that proper barrel job

Same issue here. This is a .25 liner. I recrowned my liner. Photo B is the liner from factory.

IMG_6307.jpeg

Reactions: Dairyboy
16gr knockouts
I am looking forward to seeing those in Denmark, CUZ knockouts are just here in 10 and 13 grain flavor.

My Maverick do not like shooting 16 grain or even worse 20 grain Zan slugs. ( standard + Heavy liner )
But 13 grain and you can hardly call a difference in between the 2 barrels.

That is until i sawed off the outer 100 mm of the barrel, and so removed the choke, it is now quite enjoyable to shoot 93 and 123 M distances.

Actually i am sure before this days is over i will also have cut my 700 mm Heavy liner down to 600 mm,CUZ with the choke in it i can only shoot 13 grain good, 16 and 20 grain just get worse and worse when i have tried it, and in the standard barrel it was almost dangerous with the amount of spin in the heavy slugs.

Reactions: Olle Grieze