Gamo Gamo Magnum haters

Caliber 22

Nov 29, 2023
SA
It is interesting that some cannot have an adult conversation about certain items. Like this one person bashing Gamo and when I gave him my positive experiences about my Gamo Magnum and asked him a question in reaction to what he said, he only said "Cool story" and then blocked me from the thread instead of giving a answer (photo) to my request in that thread. That indicates to me that he is not truthful in what he said and not worth having a conversation with anyway.

For me and many other airgunners Gamo is a nice rifle for the price. We don't say it is better than high price rifles but for the price it is doing the job perfectly. If one holing at 25 meter with a break barrel after more than 20k problem free shots and still in perfect condition is not good enough, I don't know what is.

Screenshot_20240717_183934_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: MrP
I hate Gamo magnums, but that's based on a sample of one, with one shooter. If you've got a one-holer you either got a better gun, or you're a better shooter. I wouldn't dispute either. The internet is full of people that have to be right, and you need to develop some thick skin, because there isn't any gun you can buy that someone won't bash. Get your satisfaction from your shooting, not from the approbation of strangers on the internet, some of whom are likely gun-less trolls living in their mother's basement.

GsT

I hate Gamo magnums, but that's based on a sample of one, with one shooter. If you've got a one-holer you either got a better gun, or you're a better shooter. I wouldn't dispute either. The internet is full of people that have to be right, and you need to develop some thick skin, because there isn't any gun you can buy that someone won't bash. Get your satisfaction from your shooting, not from the approbation of strangers on the internet, some of whom are likely gun-less trolls living in their mother's basement.

GsT
I don't have a problem that you hate a Gamo Magnum, even if I don't agree with you, you have your reasons. The thing is that you and I can have a conversation about it and disagree in a civilised way. That is what this forum is about for me. There are rifles I don't like as well for reasons of my own. I am not going to block you because of that, the way that guy did it. Like I said, the fact that he couldn't have a proper conversation, was lying about some some details and only want the conversation his way and then blocked me when asked about that, indicates to me that he is not truthful and not worth having a conversation with anyway. I expect people to be truthful even though I know many are not, then I will point it out, the reason for this post. If members cannot be honest on this forum, then what is going to happen with things like the 30 yard challenge and things like that. Then I can print a stack of targets, go and sit right in front of it and point the barrel to it and "shoot" the perfect score. Not that there are a price to be won, but that whole challenge and fun of it all is about honesty.

Just to show, this picture below was 8 shots with the Gamo Magnum, using H&N Baracuda 18 at 25 meters (27y), using shooting sticks as a rest, like it will be used when hunting. The "flyer can be any reason but most likely just me. I can show a lot of groups like this but I don't take pictures of all. Just today I used a small .177 - 400 fps, 3fpe break barrel and shot a few similar groups at 15 meters, standing with shooting sticks. It did not come easy, I shot thousands of pellets to practice my shooting and still do today. If I don't practice I am loosing it, especially with the Gamo Magnum. Later, more than 2 years after the Gamo, I bought a PCP and the Gamo was collecting dust for a while, but the PCP got boring and I am back on the break barrels. I bought the Gamo in the first place to practice and to improve my PB shooting in the field but now I am shooting air rifles more because it is fun and I can do it at home and the PB much less than before. When I do go to the range for PB shooting once in a while, it is obvious my shooting improved a lot because of air rifle shooting.

1721668478411.png

@Caliber 22 I am glad you enjoy your rifle. That's all that matters. This simple upgrade will improve a lot of springers, Gamo included.

Thanks for that, I did see it some time back, cannot remember when.
Most of my rifle triggers are very soft, I work on my own triggers. The only one that is not is my Winchester .22LR but it is much softer than standard. My Gamo's trigger pull is like 350 gram / 12.3oz. I must always warn other people wanting to shoot with it about the trigger.

Reactions: Kpac and MrP
I don't have a problem that you hate a Gamo Magnum, even if I don't agree with you, you have your reasons. The thing is that you and I can have a conversation about it and disagree in a civilised way. That is what this forum is about for me. There are rifles I don't like as well for reasons of my own. I am not going to block you because of that, the way that guy did it. Like I said, the fact that he couldn't have a proper conversation, was lying about some some details and only want the conversation his way and then blocked me when asked about that, indicates to me that he is not truthful and not worth having a conversation with anyway. I expect people to be truthful even though I know many are not, then I will point it out, the reason for this post. If members cannot be honest on this forum, then what is going to happen with things like the 30 yard challenge and things like that. Then I can print a stack of targets, go and sit right in front of it and point the barrel to it and "shoot" the perfect score. Not that there are a price to be won, but that whole challenge and fun of it all is about honesty.
Oh, I completely agree. My point was that you can't let them get under your skin. If you've been civil, and honest, then being blocked only means that you triggered the insecurities of a troll. Not that it matters, or should, but you "won". He/she did not post to inform, they posted to looking (only) for confirmation and/or approval. You broke that. (And good for you - we should all welcome information that does not match our experiences. Your experience, for one, makes me wonder if I just suck at shooting heavy springers - I certainly won't deny that that's a possibility. Folks that just shut you off aren't worthy of further discussion...

GsT

Reactions: MrP and Caliber 22
As far as I'm concerned Gamo is the only spring / gas ram gun company still pushing innovation all the other companies just make the old guns they've been making for the last 15-30 years . And then they'll add new stocks and act like they made a new rifle. I do wish Gamo would try to make a more high end gun. But as far as hunting goes I'll take my gamo over any of my other springers. They're lighter and pushing 30+ foot pound of energy .

I have two of the hunter extreme pro's and one of them is pellet on pellet at 30 yards the other one is like 3/4'' groups at same distance. The thing about mass produce springers is you have to check the barrels for consistency, And another thing about gamo their Gas Rams seem to last forever. The Leopold scope cost more than the rifle though LOL

I do wish Gamo would try to make a more high end gun.
That would be nice, but I think their moto is to make air rifles affordable for the masses. Many people with air rifles would not have it if there where only expensive, high end rifles available, me included.
And another thing about gamo their Gas Rams seem to last forever
I did not hear about anybody with a broken Gamo gas ram. A person I know once opened his Gamo to clean and saw scratch marks on the gas ram of his year old rifle. He contacted Gamo and asked if it was a problem. They said "No", but asked him to send the rifle back so they can send him a complete new rifle. He declined as he was happy with the accuracy and asked them to make note of it for if problems arise in future. That was more than 5 years back and that same rifle is still shooting great.
The Leopold scope cost more than the rifle though
I have a Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 AO on the Gamo since new. Many people told me that I was going to replace scopes regularly because scopes don't last on "magnum" break barrels of any make. I can tell you this, the Hawke is still working like new, holding it's zero 100%. The glass is not high end Swarovski by a long shot, but it is good, even in low light.

Reactions: F.Baum
Another thing I noticed is gamo is starting to sell more parts, they're selling the baffles for inside the moderators now too They already sell breach seals they just don't sell piston seals yet.....

I know their motto is to sell air guns to the masses. But it would be nice if they just did a little run of let's say the hunter extreme pro but did better on a few things like the bluing maybe a metal barrel detent latch instead of plastic, And barrel pivot bolts instead of the pivot pin, Maybe no moderator and just a threaded end piece??

But make no mistake I love my Hunter extreme Pro and it's definitely a step in the right direction with all metal barrel and breach block,nice stock Powerful etc..!!

And and another thing gamo doesn't get enough credit for is their shot cycle unlike beemans Kodiaks theobans and HW 80 & 90s The recoil is less for thee amount of energy and it's way easier to cock than my HW90 at 22bar.

GsT
Sample of ONE?? That would be pretty short sighted and unfair to form an opinion based on THAT. Lemons can manifest with any brand, it happens. Re the Gamo rifles, if you can find one, I suggest you get your hands on a Hunter Extreme Pro .22 cal, and I can practically guarantee you will change your opinion. Beautiful beechwood stocks, VERY accurate with the right pellet (mine likes JSB 15.89's), comes equipped with a decent suppressor, 27+ to 30 ft lbs energy (depends on the pellet of course) in a BREAK BARREL rifle for Pete's sake! So what's NOT to like? OK, maybe the triggers are a little heavy out of the box. But with a small amount of tuning, the triggers can be easily tuned to around 2+ lbs or so. I would NOT want it any lighter for hunting anyway. I picked mine up (when they were available direct from Gamo) for around $250, that is a serious airgunning value. I have not seen a single negative post on these rifles, they are THAT good. If there are any negatives I would like to see/hear about it. In case I didn't mention it previously---Yes, I DO like my Gamo Hunter Extreme Pro:)(y)

Reactions: HPP-Mechanic
Sample of ONE?? That would be pretty short sighted and unfair to form an opinion based on THAT. Lemons can manifest with any brand, it happens. Re the Gamo rifles, if you can find one, I suggest you get your hands on a Hunter Extreme Pro .22 cal, and I can practically guarantee you will change your opinion. Beautiful beechwood stocks, VERY accurate with the right pellet (mine likes JSB 15.89's), comes equipped with a decent suppressor, 27+ to 30 ft lbs energy (depends on the pellet of course) in a BREAK BARREL rifle for Pete's sake! So what's NOT to like? OK, maybe the triggers are a little heavy out of the box. But with a small amount of tuning, the triggers can be easily tuned to around 2+ lbs or so. I would NOT want it any lighter for hunting anyway. I picked mine up (when they were available direct from Gamo) for around $250, that is a serious airgunning value. I have not seen a single negative post on these rifles, they are THAT good. If there are any negatives I would like to see/hear about it. In case I didn't mention it previously---Yes, I DO like my Gamo Hunter Extreme Pro:)(y)
HIlarious. My one sample *is* a Hunter Extreme Pro. And yes, the reason I mentioned a sample of one is precisely because it's unfair and not necessarily representative. OTOH, if you get a dud, are you going to rush out and buy another one? Yeah, me neither. If I had three Gamos that I liked before buying the HEP, I'd have probably chalked it up to bad luck, but like I said, sample of one. But my real point was why should you, or the OP, or anyone else who likes Gamo magnums give a rat's patoot what *I* think? I can still discuss it without insisting that anyone with a differing opinion is an idiot which I think was the OP's real gripe.

GsT

Chiming in here - I've owned a few gamos when I first started out. Kept raising the power levels thinking that if I didn't hit a squirrel in the right spot, I'd be delivering more energy and that would give some forgiveness to placement .
Of course I was totally wrong. Accuracy trumps velocity every time. The other thing I learned was that the gamo's I had purchased couldn't perform. I ended up with a bad opinion of them and this was after living with each of them for a couple years and trying variety of pellets, holds, rests, etc.... I've even had expert springer shooters confirm my findings with my rifles
Last summer, I went to my brother's place in Illinois and for a lark, he went to Walmart and bought a Gamo magnum in .177. Of course, he snapped up the crossman and I think a Walmart branded pellet to go with it.
Had the cheap fixed 4 X Scope attached. It was for our nephews to shoot into the pond and throughout his farm. Long story short, that gun could shoot. We were easily hitting twigs at 20 - 25 yds offhand. Made some shots at 30 that I would have a hard time with my PCPs. It wasn't as consistently accurate as a PCP, but if we saw a butterfly or a dragonfly flitting across the little pond of his, we felt confident-ish at plugging away and clipping them. (I do feel bad about that, but the mischievous little kid sometimes comes out)
There's something about cheap and cheerful - and in this case being wrong -that just delighted me about the rifle the whole time. Sticky trigger, a little hard to cock for the shorter crew, but everyone preferred it to the single shot .22 rimfire with its loud noise, dangerous ability to go a mile and similar accuracy.
I scrubbed that barrel clean before leaving and when I came back out in June of this year, that rifle was still mouse accurate at 15 yd. For a hundred bucks and for being able to just throw it at a couple of 13-year-olds without worry, it's a heck of a rifle. Being a gas ram, I expect I'll be able to continue to use his rifle over the years.
I just might try another down the road....