Gamo Gamo Swarm Magnum scraping sound during charge

Hello. I am new to airguns and just received my brand new Gamo Swarm Magnum 3i in .22 cal. This is my first airgun so I am not familiar with the peculiarities of these guns. I own several 'powder' firearms so I am not new to firearms just to Airguns. The issue I am having right out of the box is a scraping sound and feel when I am returning the barrel to the shooting position after breaking the barrel to charge the gas ram. I can charge the ram, but the scraping sound starts about a 1/4 of the way back from full break and then about half way thru the rest of the return stroke to the firing position. I would not expect that from a brand new gun. After visually inspecting the ram linkage and seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I decided to remove the stock for a closer internal inspection of the linkage. Because the gun is brand new and only has 2 mags thru it, I do not see any wear on any surfaces. while i had it open, I put a bit of Lucas gun grease that I would use on my regular gun's slides and bolt carriers, on the articulating pivot points on the linkage and the small plastic roller. That seemed to have improved the situation slightly but there is still the annoying scraping sound when the barrel returns during the charge cycle. I even put a light grease film on the trigger safety linkage as some of the sound seemed to emanate from it.
My questions are; is this a normal situation with these guns? Will this eventually work in? or will I be abnormally wearing some internals of the charging linkage and guides it runs in? How concerned should i be? Should I be reaching out to Gamo directly for direction?
As I say this is my first air gun experience so I figured I would ask the collective wisdom and experience of folks on this forum for some insight.

Thank you in advance

Maybe the cocking arm shoe scraping the ram body . Mine did as well I just cleaned and lubed the spot and shoe / channel and seemed to do the trick .

On my old device I can't recover I had pictures of this to show .. sorry ..

P.s....

You should be able to remove the stock and check that with out more disassembly. Just swab some Lube .( I think I just used a dab of copper antiseize on). Now if you don't want to contact gamo and do a warranty rma..

I had to do one and they did fine . Asked for a paid printable postage ( gamo pays all postage under 1st year of warranty) turn around was quick as well.

Anyway my warrantee gun has lasted 6 years now ,so ??

Last edited:
@ZilWin - I suggest getting some good quality pellets while you get your rifle issues sorted out. Good pellets go a long way towards consistent accuracy.

I would start with Crosman pellets, you might get lucky. Crosman domed or hollow points around 14 grains are a great place to start.

JSB 15.89's would be my next suggestion, but try the Crosmans first!

@ZilWin - I suggest getting some good quality pellets while you get your rifle issues sorted out. Good pellets go a long way towards consistent accuracy.

I would start with Crosman pellets, you might get lucky. Crosman domed or hollow points around 14 grains are a great place to start.

JSB 15.89's would be my next suggestion, but try the Crosmans first!
I already bought some JSB 15.89 domed. I am using Gamo red fires to sight in the scope and get familiar with the gun. I'll look into the Crosmans. Any particular one?

My 6year old well used and abused gamo with cphp.22 ( the warranty send in gun )
whamogamo.png
whamogamo,50y,irons,cphp 22.jpg
whamogamo, irons, cphp.22,50y.png

On stock irons and 50 yards .. can't complain..

I already bought some JSB 15.89 domed. I am using Gamo red fires to sight in the scope and get familiar with the gun. I'll look into the Crosmans. Any particular one?

These are usually found at big box stores for under $10. Either the domed or the hollow points can work well if you win the barrel lottery. JSB's will never go to waste.

I have heard these are good as well but I can never find them.

I have a few tins of each, they are good for plinking or practice if nothing else. I was getting them for $6 a tin at one time. My Huben eats them like candy. Other rifles hate them but for the price it is worth trying. Always fun trying to find the "magic" pellet for the rifle.