• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gasoline or Electric Compressor

I've never seen a gasoline powered compressor for 300 bar pressure. They are common for 125psi or so for nailguns, I believe. For portable use, I believe airgunners use small 250-400W units that can be powered from a vehicle (or 120V). Mine runs on 120V. A seemingly popular model is the GX CS4. It can run off 12V but is unique in having a more robust cooling system that allows it to fill large bottles like I use to refill my guns. I haven't bought one, yet. I just use my Yong Heng. With good oil (Nuvair) it has been reliable (for 3 years so far). Maybe some more expensive 300 bar compressors run on gasoline, I haven't looked for one.

Price not being an issue, would you buy an electric or gasoline powered compressor, assuming of course that each is a high quality compressor (Alkin, Coltri, Bauer)? Yes, I know field use would lean to gas, fixed base toward electric - but just in general mixed use, and with possible resale in mind - which one?
Bauer oceanus E1

Price not being an issue, would you buy an electric or gasoline powered compressor, assuming of course that each is a high quality compressor (Alkin, Coltri, Bauer)? Yes, I know field use would lean to gas, fixed base toward electric - but just in general mixed use, and with possible resale in mind - which one?

Electric. The idea of buying a high-end compressor (like brands you listed) presupposes ownership of at least one SCBA tank. I can't see a need for a heavy-duty high-end compressor in the field unless you're facilitating shooting competition or supporting a shooting club. If you aren't doing those things, there is no "mixed use" that comes to mind. These things are big and heavy. You'll need two people move big Alkins off of the ground and into a vehicle and vice-versa. I'm not under the impression that they're made to move around far or often. Take the tank or tanks into the field, leave the large compressor at home. It's nothing to have a small back-up compressor for the field. I say "field" with hunting in mind. Someone mentioned gas is the way to go. I can plug my electric compressor into a gas-powered generator for about 10 minutes. The generator can also power other appliances, a gas-powered compressor cannot.

Last edited:
I did NOT buy my compressor with resale in mind,,, reliability vs constant repairs and maint after a couple of compressors from cheap mfrs was my goal

I considered that the elec takes more money and work up front to have an electrical 220volt wired to where I plan on my compressor to live(I did my own elec work)
the gas one is ready to go with oil and gas fill up, but required constant gas fills and yearly oil change, but are mobile

I did not want to have to go outside to compress air in the Nebr winters,, elec is my choice,,, Coltri mch6 220 volt, is where I landed

my son can worry about resale after I am gone,,, I just want air to shoot and not another job maintaining/repairing equipment,,, I am lazy and go about 18 months between compressor oil change and still way under the 50 hr recommendation

Reactions: MikeAllen
I’m already seeing potential problems using a gas compressor. I’ve was a motorcycle technician for a bunch of years and the most common issue I’d see on gasoline power anything was carbs gumming up from lack of use. Unless you’re using your gasoline powered compressor once a week 12 months a year I’d stick to electric with an ability to connect to your cars 12 volt battery. Omega Trail or GXCS4. Forgot to mention all the noise a gasoline compressor makes in the field unless you want that🤷‍♂️

All depends. If you are going to be filling multiple peoples bottles at a club or competition then the gas. If not then I wouldn’t understand the need for gas. Just one more thing to go wrong and have to fix. The purpose of a compressor big enough to even have a gas option is to fill large bottles not guns. Therefore, for personal use why would you ever want to cart it in the field. Fill bottles and cart those.

Reactions: MikeAllen
I don't know what to recommend, but what I would say is if it were me, I would absolutely make sure I could get recreational fuel (completely ethanol free) before I bought a gas compressor. Ethanol causes lots of problems around here. I only run ethanol free in all engines except for the cars. They are designed for it, and the fuel is used very quickly and doesn't have time to absorb water.