• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gasoline or Electric Compressor

Well in my case i went with electric.
One problem though, in my apartment just one 16 A fused outlet and that is the one for my oven in the kitchen, so a measure of creativity would have to be undertaken for me to tap into that.
I could take off the oven CUZ i use a much smaller table top oven for the little i cook, and actually i got that little oven to work Kydex in and not cook.

But that way i could charge bottles in my 2 floor apartment CUZ i dont think my compressor are that loud, or take that long boosting a bottle back up to 300

For the same reason a gasoline compressor would be silly, CUZ i would have to lug it up from my basement storage room then.

Or at my friends where my compressor actually are, lug it outside so we dont get " smoked " out, where as the electric one, sit on a 3 foot high stand and are nice and easy within reach just inside the big sliding door into what i assume was once the machine house on the little farm, that is very small you need a old little 60ties tractor to get it in there.

One of those nifty solar / mains power stations, could actually run my compressor ( 2000 watts ) but those are by no means cheap, and it would mean going mobile would be 2 X the weight.

Mind you, these big boy compressors are not cheap, it would be ideal to spread the cost out on a few shooters i think.
I cant do that, so i went with a cheap Chinese 4 Cylinder Tuxing compressor, that so far lasted a year. CUZ my charge needs are about 1 maybe 2 bottles a month.

It would be nice with a nice brand compressor, but it seem like i am not a good boy and the lotto gods forsake me. And i am too old to work or rob little old ladies.

After rebuilding the carbs on my generator, leaf blower, old dirt motorcycle, four wheeler, and chainsaw due to sitting unused for too long ...
I would definately choose an electric air compressor.
I only use pure gas in my small engines . NO ethanol. my chain saw was 1/2 empty for over 2 years and started on 3rd pull , ran like normal on that old gas . i even use it in the Zero turn , leave it over the winter and it starts right up .

To run pure gas and NON ethanol in small engines , Mowers, edgers, and the like means you have a brain and a understanding of the combustion engines .
I hate ethanol in gasoline ,
Mike
If you run your equipment every day, that's not an issue. I'm not one of those so it's only non ethanol for me.

Reactions: rcs9250
I don't know what to recommend, but what I would say is if it were me, I would absolutely make sure I could get recreational fuel (completely ethanol free) before I bought a gas compressor. Ethanol causes lots of problems around here. I only run ethanol free in all engines except for the cars. They are designed for it, and the fuel is used very quickly and doesn't have time to absorb water.
I agree - I use ethanol free in mower, trimmers, generator, chain saws, etc. and I also add Sta-Bil to the gas.

depends on use on what compressor i would have .. if it just me around the house, pesting mostly, occasional plinking and sighting a gun, a cheap yongheng is sufficient ... if i was into heavier use boderlining on obssesion shooting 'tins" of pellets a week id have a better compressor, couple grands worth ... if my life was airguns, my living was made off of testing them and making videos, i traveled etc, id have a higher end gas rig yes ..

One of those nifty solar / mains power stations, could actually run my compressor ( 2000 watts ) but those are by no means cheap, and it would mean going mobile would be 2 X the weight.
Unlikely! Read up about start current loads of AC inductive motors. The startup current is 5 to 10 times the running current. Most low power generators and battery powered inverters don't have the initial surge current capacity to start up 1 HP motors.

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
Well in my case i went with electric.
One problem though, in my apartment just one 16 A fused outlet and that is the one for my oven in the kitchen, so a measure of creativity would have to be undertaken for me to tap into that.
I could take off the oven CUZ i use a much smaller table top oven for the little i cook, and actually i got that little oven to work Kydex in and not cook.

But that way i could charge bottles in my 2 floor apartment CUZ i dont think my compressor are that loud, or take that long boosting a bottle back up to 300

For the same reason a gasoline compressor would be silly, CUZ i would have to lug it up from my basement storage room then.

Or at my friends where my compressor actually are, lug it outside so we dont get " smoked " out, where as the electric one, sit on a 3 foot high stand and are nice and easy within reach just inside the big sliding door into what i assume was once the machine house on the little farm, that is very small you need a old little 60ties tractor to get it in there.

Mind you, these big boy compressors are not cheap, it would be ideal to spread the cost out on a few shooters i think.
I cant do that, so i went with a cheap Chinese 4 Cylinder Tuxing compressor, that so far lasted a year. CUZ my charge needs are about 1 maybe 2 bottles a month.

It would be nice with a nice brand compressor, but it seem like i am not a good boy and the lotto gods forsake me. And i am too old to work or rob little old ladies.
Or rather than being in a ”partnership“ just fill bottles and accept “donations“ to help cover electricity and maintenance….

I only use pure gas in my small engines . NO ethanol. my chain saw was 1/2 empty for over 2 years and started on 3rd pull , ran like normal on that old gas . i even use it in the Zero turn , leave it over the winter and it starts right up .
Non ethanol is pretty good, for stuff that’s gonna sit much longer times, avgas works very very well. I think it only has two ingredients.

How about one of the compressors mentioned by the OP and a generator capable of running the compressor if there was a power outage “and you just had to shoot”. Expensive? Yeah. But you would have plenty of power to run a household and a generator to take into the field too, but it would weigh about the same as an Alkin or Bauer. That’s a lot of air and a lot of power for in the field.
For field use, and if you didn’t want to bring along SCBA’s, one of the better quality 12VDC/120VAC would be my choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeAllen
I have two big Milwaukee MX 120V power supplies. Battery powered generators. They are rated at 1800W. I have run my Yong Heng with it's cooling fans and pump off one of them, however. They weigh about 50 lbs. If I needed to have my YH work at the range I could throw one of them in the truck with the YH and it would work. I'll probably never do it, however. Too much hassle. I just take a bottle. I guess if I ever get into big bore I might have to do something like this. I've run a 15A circuit in my house with my refrigerator and a few other small loads on it for 6-8 hours with one of these power supplies. I am pretty sure I could run my YH all day with one (not continuously, just using it as needed).

I also use only pure gas in my yard tools and my boat. I have to pick a station that has it but there are two within a few miles of my house. It's a few cents more than ethanol gas but still under $4/gallon here. I need to fill up a couple 5 gallon cans soon, the kids are coming into town and we will be running the pontoon. But my little gas powered generator doesn't work and I think it's because of the carberator despite only being used on pure gas. It won't run steady and the generator seems to need that. I haven't taken the time to really figure out what's wrong with it. I think it's worthwhile to pay a little more for pure gasoline for the occasionally used gas powered devices but I am not sure it will always prevent issues.

I have two big Milwaukee MX 120V power supplies. Battery powered generators. They are rated at 1800W. I have run my Yong Heng with it's cooling fans and pump off one of them, however. They weigh about 50 lbs. If I needed to have my YH work at the range I could throw one of them in the truck with the YH and it would work. I'll probably never do it, however. Too much hassle. I just take a bottle. I guess if I ever get into big bore I might have to do something like this. I've run a 15A circuit in my house with my refrigerator and a few other small loads on it for 6-8 hours with one of these power supplies. I am pretty sure I could run my YH all day with one (not continuously, just using it as needed).

I also use only pure gas in my yard tools and my boat. I have to pick a station that has it but there are two within a few miles of my house. It's a few cents more than ethanol gas but still under $4/gallon here. I need to fill up a couple 5 gallon cans soon, the kids are coming into town and we will be running the pontoon. But my little gas powered generator doesn't work and I think it's because of the carberator despite only being used on pure gas. It won't run steady and the generator seems to need that. I haven't taken the time to really figure out what's wrong with it. I think it's worthwhile to pay a little more for pure gasoline for the occasionally used gas powered devices but I am not sure it will always prevent issues.
It might just need a dose of "Mechanic In A Bottle."