N/A Getting fed up

Too carry around hunting R9, HW50s w/Vortek kit, tuned Cometa 400 if heavier doesnt bother you then RWS 48 or 54.. Ive squirrel hunted quite a bit with my TX200 .22 and its a killer squirrel gun just heavy.. my favorite hunting springer is BSA Lightning XL .22 tuned by C.A.P. Research.

Ive killed a ton of squirrels with R9s in .22 but no longer own any due to being stupid and selling them, same reason I no longer have any .20 cal.

When a springer triumphs
pcphunting.png

Pcp..lol

Too carry around hunting R9, HW50s w/Vortek kit, tuned Cometa 400 if heavier doesnt bother you then RWS 48 or 54.. Ive squirrel hunted quite a bit with my TX200 .22 and its a killer squirrel gun just heavy.. my favorite hunting springer is BSA Lightning XL .22 tuned by C.A.P. Research.

Ive killed a ton of squirrels with R9s in .22 but no longer own any due to being stupid and selling them, same reason I no longer have any .20 cal.
If I don't mind the 177 for squirrels there is a used 54 in the classifieds

If I lived in USA I would get the hw95N in .20. Then have a vacseal and pg4 vortek kit fitted.

Next I would consider hw77k in .22 with same vortek mods. For lighter carry hw50s or hw57

After that I’m looking for an hw80k in .20 or .22 or both. Same vortek treatment.

I, like you had pcp that I decided I didnt like the challenges of compressed air and my leaking fx impact. Sold it and happy with my weihrauchs.

Well, I have been into pcp for a little over a year now and my second compressor is going on the frits.

Jon
Are you using the correct start/stop procedure. Ya Gotta open those bleed valves before you start/AND before you stop. You can't go wrong with a 22cal HW 95. I love mine. Trigger is awsome. It's as solid as tank, accurate as he!!. But you'll save a quite a few bucks if you go with a HW50S in .177. This little gem opened my eyes as to what a .177 can do. It's a lighter, easier cocking version of the HW95. So,,, in conclusion,,,you need both. lol

Are you using the correct start/stop procedure. Ya Gotta open those bleed valves before you start/AND before you stop. You can't go wrong with a 22cal HW 95. I love mine. Trigger is awsome. It's as solid as tank, accurate as he!!. But you'll save a quite a few bucks if you go with a HW50S in .177. This little gem opened my eyes as to what a .177 can do. It's a lighter, easier cocking version of the HW95. So,,, in conclusion,,,you need both. lol
Yes, I was meticulous about starting and stopping with bleeder open. Like I said I am going to keep about 3 and sell the rest and try to get my son a ghost carbine for hunting and plinking. So look for guns for sale quality pcps in classifieds or trade for quality pistons. I think if I go with the hw I will get a 177. They are weak in 22 cal it seems compared to others

Reactions: Bandito
I would love a good 20cal but they are like hens teeth.
I got mine gently used from a fellow member of another forum. Saw one for sale but on another forum that's been tuned and had a custom stock added but the seller is asking $825 + shipping for:
There's also a custom HW97 and Beeman R1 both in .20 for sale over there too.

I got mine gently used from a fellow member of another forum. Saw one for sale but on another forum that's been tuned and had a custom stock added but the seller is asking $825 + shipping for:
There's also a custom HW97 and Beeman R1 both in .20 for sale over there too.
Yeah, unfortunately I'm lefty so that will not work.

For squirrel/small game you do not need lots of power, my BSA Lightning XL .22 shoots just a tad under 14 ftlbs and Ive killed squirrels 40 yds away in the woods, which is pushing the limits that you can even see to shoot one when leaves are on the trees.. plus most of us at 40 yds are hard pressed to make head shots at that distance which is where I shoot 99 percent of my squirrels.. anything from 12ftlb to 16ftlb is plenty to 40 yds with head shots with vast majority of hunting shots being 30 yds and under.. so if you want a pleasant hunting experience stay in that power range and a 6.5-8# rifle..
I used to lug a RWS 54 or 48 around the woods when I was in excellent shape and in my 30s/40s but I never enjoyed the experience I just liked the guns. I dont use a sling because they get in the way when trying to shoot so carry gun on my shoulder and at the end of the hunt my shoulder would always feel bruised, and at that time I was 5`9 220# and in excellent shape.. So its not about how much you can carry but enjoying it when you do.

For squirrel/small game you do not need lots of power, my BSA Lightning XL .22 shoots just a tad under 14 ftlbs and Ive killed squirrels 40 yds away in the woods, which is pushing the limits that you can even see to shoot one when leaves are on the trees.. plus most of us at 40 yds are hard pressed to make head shots at that distance which is where I shoot 99 percent of my squirrels.. anything from 12ftlb to 16ftlb is plenty to 40 yds with head shots with vast majority of hunting shots being 30 yds and under.. so if you want a pleasant hunting experience stay in that power range and a 6.5-8# rifle..
I used to lug a RWS 54 or 48 around the woods when I was in excellent shape and in my 30s/40s but I never enjoyed the experience I just liked the guns. I dont use a sling because they get in the way when trying to shoot so carry gun on my shoulder and at the end of the hunt my shoulder would always feel bruised, and at that time I was 5`9 220# and in excellent shape.. So it's not about how much you can carry but enjoying it when you do
I used to lug a RWS 54 or 48 around the woods when I was in excellent shape and in my 30s/40s but I never enjoyed the experience I just liked the guns. I dont use a sling because they get in the way when trying to shoot so carry gun on my shoulder and at the end of the hunt my shoulder would always feel bruised, and at that time I was 5`9 220# and in excellent shape.. So its not about how much you can carry but enjoying it when you do.
The 54 is heavier for sure. I do like slings on my hunting guns. I carry a chair and shooting sticks I don't like my hands full when walking. I don't spot and stalk. I usually hunt an area for a bit and move.

Go all in and get a Coltri MCH6, instead of going backwards to springers, even if you have to sell other stuff to do it.
PCPs are great but to be honest springers are more fun to me. I shoot the pcp a lot for hunting and eft but I always like springers more. I will keep a cheap compressor for filling the guns to practice for a match or for a hunt and my 9 year old loves them(pcp). I don't think it's going backwards just a different way. PCP allows me to play in eft in rifle and pistol springers don't so I will always have a few.

Jon

I just have to come to grips that these cheap compressors will not last long

PCPs are great but to be honest springers are more fun to me. I shoot the pcp a lot for hunting and eft but I always like springers more. I will keep a cheap compressor for filling the guns to practice for a match or for a hunt and my 9 year old loves them(pcp). I don't think it's going backwards just a different way. PCP allows me to play in eft in rifle and pistol springers don't so I will always have a few.

Jon

I just have to come to grips that these cheap compressors will not last long

To each their own, one likes what one likes.

Man I tried to go back to springers by getting a Crow Magnum(gas ram), Tx200 and a 300s but I like the nicer pcp's and the 601 much more.

I'm with drsquall regarding springers. While I have no plans on selling my PCP's, springers are just what I prefer to shoot. There's something nice about just grabbing the gun and a tin of pellets and shooting until you get bored. I also find the hold sensitivity makes them more challenging for target practice and I just like handling and shooting a beautiful rifle.