getting new pcp pump today

When pumping, pause at the top and bottom of the stroke. Especially the bottom. Take your time. You will use about 1/3 less strokes than if you didn't pause. Once you get up to about 100 strokes, I would pause. Let the pump cool down. Pausing at the top and bottom also helps with the pump not heating up so fast. 

Also, on the down stroke, have your arms be stiff (not bent at the elbows) and use your weight. 

Welcome to PCP's. 

Chas

If you have a PCP with very small air cylinder with only 3000psi to pump it's easy as this...

My Benjamin Discovery and Maximus only require 2000psi max fill and are super easy to pump. He is pumping to 3000psi and the Fortitude has a small reservoir so it's easy for him to pump it. I tried pumping a 400cc bottle gun and thought I was gonna have a heart attack. Bought 2 tanks right after that.

Have fun... Start from 4:55...

https://youtu.be/eUuPs2RL12o

In the video above he doesn't pause at the top or bottom of each stroke. He bends his elbows on the down stroke and he doesn't pause after each 25 strokes to allow the hand pump to cool down. Follow your hand pump instruction manual and ignore this video pumping technique unless you are trying to induce a heart attack. If you use this video as instructional you will either: 1. Melt your pump o-rings in record time. 2. Throw your pump in the garbage and shop for a compressor 3. Hate PCPs and go back to springers.

Reactions: fe7565
Be sure to tighten all your fittings. You may have to do it more than once. It's a good idea to get a cap like you can get at Trenier's, at least, to protect the fill whip from moisture getting in ... and also to test all your fittings if you find you are not building pressure. You can actually pump like mad and get nowhere (*sigh*) because of leaks anywhere along your line, including areas you tightened very well before.

With a stopper on the end of your fill whip, you can pump a while to build up pressure (or if you have a tank, fill a while to build up pressure) and then use soapy water at your connections or even submerge your connections in water to check for bubbling. If any air comes out, of course, you've found your problem.

Between all the connections in even such a short chain of hoses and fittings, it's surprising how much can go wrong. I got the:

Huma Air Quick Connect Test Plug HE0006 for 7 bucks

from Trenier:

https://www.trenieroutdoors.com/gear/pcp-filling/huma-air-quick-connect-test-plug/

Used it to find a loose connection on a hose I had already tightened thoroughly and treated with kid gloves.