• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Ghost vs Delta/Alpha Wolf - Have you used both?

Who all has used or owned both the BRK Ghost and the Daystate Delta or Alpha Wolf and chosen one over the other? It is often said that the Ghost is just a mechanical version of the D/A Wolf. You don’t see much anywhere on the Wolf, but you see a lot about the Ghost. I’m curious if it is just a matter of price or more to it.

What did you find that you liked better about one or the other?

Having not shot the Wolf version, but briefly owning a Ghost, I have to imagine that the main differences are tuning, trigger, and cocking effort? I have been curious about the difference in tuning with one being similar to what we see with other rifles and the other being automated with a chrony or having to enter data that we are not used to. I’m curious what most people have preferred. I know how much nicer a Red Wolf trigger and cocking effort are than standard mechanical rifles, but also how inconvenient it was to tune. I’m guessing this comparison might be similar, except that the D/A can adjust for you unlike it’s older brother.

I have been considering purchasing the Delta, so that is why I ask.

Thanks.

I have both in .25 and despite my FPS issue with the DW, the Ghost will be for sale soon and replaced with another DW. The electronic trigger and adjustability of the DW makes it an easy choice. Sometimes I need to shoot at 530fps and other times at 850fps, with the DW it’s just a couple buttons. The Ghost requires a high regulator pressure to get adjustability out of the wheel and you would have to adjust reg pressure to get the same fps range. With the DW I can cover that spread with a reg pressure of 103.

But that’s based on my needs, what are your needs?

Reactions: Smok3y
Who all has used or owned both the BRK Ghost and the Daystate Delta or Alpha Wolf and chosen one over the other? It is often said that the Ghost is just a mechanical version of the D/A Wolf. You don’t see much anywhere on the Wolf, but you see a lot about the Ghost. I’m curious if it is just a matter of price or more to it.

What did you find that you liked better about one or the other?

Having not shot the Wolf version, but briefly owning a Ghost, I have to imagine that the main differences are tuning, trigger, and cocking effort? I have been curious about the difference in tuning with one being similar to what we see with other rifles and the other being automated with a chrony or having to enter data that we are not used to. I’m curious what most people have preferred. I know how much nicer a Red Wolf trigger and cocking effort are than standard mechanical rifles, but also how inconvenient it was to tune. I’m guessing this comparison might be similar, except that the D/A can adjust for you unlike it’s older brother.

I have been considering purchasing the Delta, so that is why I ask.

Thanks.
I have both the Deltawolf (since converted to a Alphawolf, and two Ghosts. The Ghost and Wolfs share similar bull-pup type chassis and even use the same magazines. Nothing compares with how easy it is to switch the Wolfs into different calibers and re-tune very quickly without degassing. Although the Ghost is also a quick change artist... you have to degas it so you can decrease reg pressure to avoid damaging the seat. I personally prefer my prior Deltawolf configuration to the pretty of pretty Alphawolf set up because the Deltawolf gives you many more setup options in the accessory department making it ergonomically easier to fit ones body. The Ghosts also offer numerous accessories esp those made by PRS in the UK. The Delta/Alpha are extremely efficient with air so your shot count is fantastic. The Ghosts almost always need a good trigger tune by someone like @zx10wall who also sells them. A good tune will also provide a great shot count. The larger the caliber the more of an airhog our PCP's become so the tune is VERY important. If i had to choose just one... i would choose a Deltawolf and have 3 different calibers of barrels with varied length at the ready.
I would say both platforms require the scope mounted on the high side to achieve a good eyebox.
IMG_7738.jpeg
IMG_7039.jpeg
IMG_6833.jpeg

I have both in .25 and despite my FPS issue with the DW, the Ghost will be for sale soon and replaced with another DW. The electronic trigger and adjustability of the DW makes it an easy choice. Sometimes I need to shoot at 530fps and other times at 850fps, with the DW it’s just a couple buttons. The Ghost requires a high regulator pressure to get adjustability out of the wheel and you would have to adjust reg pressure to get the same fps range. With the DW I can cover that spread with a reg pressure of 103.

But that’s based on my needs, what are your needs?
Needs? Great question! Only “need” is a HP bench/EFT rifle. While I prefer rifle style over bullpup usually, I am looking at trying a rifle I haven’t tried before. I owned a Ghost very very briefly, but bought it at the same time as a Skout, and there was no comparison at the time. I didn’t have the time to worry with two rifles, so I let it go. I like the idea of the platform being easily adapted for more barrels, so I can try other calibers if I decide to.

I have both the Deltawolf (since converted to a Alphawolf, and two Ghosts. The Ghost and Wolfs share similar bull-pup type chassis and even use the same magazines. Nothing compares with how easy it is to switch the Wolfs into different calibers and re-tune very quickly without degassing. Although the Ghost is also a quick change artist... you have to degas it so you can decrease reg pressure to avoid damaging the seat. I personally prefer my prior Deltawolf configuration to the pretty of pretty Alphawolf set up because the Deltawolf gives you many more setup options in the accessory department making it ergonomically easier to fit ones body. The Ghosts also offer numerous accessories esp those made by PRS in the UK. The Delta/Alpha are extremely efficient with air so your shot count is fantastic. The Ghosts almost always need a good trigger tune by someone like @zx10wall who also sells them. A good tune will also provide a great shot count. The larger the caliber the more of an airhog our PCP's become so the tune is VERY important. If i had to choose just one... i would choose a Deltawolf and have 3 different calibers of barrels with varied length at the ready.
I would say both platforms require the scope mounted on the high side to achieve a good eyebox.
View attachment 473399View attachment 473401View attachment 473404
I always appreciate your replies and pictures of all your fun stuff. You definitely have tried lots of options!!
Thanks for the opinions on what you would choose. You are correct that I wouldn’t buy a Ghost unless it came from Derrick. Too many people have made that clear, and I know how much I didn’t like the trigger in the Ghost I briefly had. That trigger is one reason I think the Delta would be nice.
I agree with your add on comments about the Delta. That is why I like it over the Alpha, as it is more customizable. In the front rail. That is why it was a little easier to not jump on the used Sapphire Alpha that AOA had a couple weeks back. That being said, that is also what I don’t like about a Delta/Ghost/Impact, that I have to buy those accessories to make it more adjustable. But it is what it is. We are all different. I like when rifles come with the adjustable cheek and buttpad and extended bipod rail from the factory.
I love a tall mounted scope since my first Impact, so that is no problem at all. I was amazed how much I preferred a higher scope after years of trying to keep them so low on 22lr.

I appreciate the feedback so far. A couple others have privately said Delta as well, and I have been surprised. It seemed like more were preferring the Ghost. Small sample size so far…

I always appreciate your replies and pictures of all your fun stuff. You definitely have tried lots of options!!
Thanks for the opinions on what you would choose. You are correct that I wouldn’t buy a Ghost unless it came from Derrick. Too many people have made that clear, and I know how much I didn’t like the trigger in the Ghost I briefly had. That trigger is one reason I think the Delta would be nice.
I agree with your add on comments about the Delta. That is why I like it over the Alpha, as it is more customizable. In the front rail. That is why it was a little easier to not jump on the used Sapphire Alpha that AOA had a couple weeks back. That being said, that is also what I don’t like about a Delta/Ghost/Impact, that I have to buy those accessories to make it more adjustable. But it is what it is. We are all different. I like when rifles come with the adjustable cheek and buttpad and extended bipod rail from the factory.
I love a tall mounted scope since my first Impact, so that is no problem at all. I was amazed how much I preferred a higher scope after years of trying to keep them so low on 22lr.

I appreciate the feedback so far. A couple others have privately said Delta as well, and I have been surprised. It seemed like more were preferring the Ghost. Small sample size so far…
Currently my plans are to use my Alphawolf for Benchrest Only... i have a .177 / 28" barrel and that thing is shazam accurate, IMO... working to find the absolute best pellet / speed for 25 meter and 50 meter comp.

I used and hunt with Ghost .30 Cal for a week and own a Delta in .30 Cal.

Both are extremely good. To shoot off hand the Ghost seem to be better. Best shot I have made off hand was made with the Ghost to a running quail at 40 yards.

Maybe the Delta is a little bit more comfortable to shoulder.

If you would like to have a super rifle and avoid changing calibers, go for the Red Wolf "non" HP and ask a 700 cc bottle to be installed. There you would have the must comfortable rifle to shoulder in the market, the electronic trigger a lot of shots per fill and a "decent" power for shooting up to 120 yards.

Second choice-> Vulcan 3 700 mm to shoot slugs at whatever distance you want to.

Third choice -> Sidewinder .25.

Fourth choice -> FX Panthera compact Hunter .25 Cal with a big bottle in the front and a small one in the rear.

You won't regret with any one of Ghost, Delta, Red Wolf, Vulcan 3, Sidewinder or FX Panthera.

Last edited:
Reactions: BABz58 and Smok3y
Needs? Great question! Only “need” is a HP bench/EFT rifle. While I prefer rifle style over bullpup usually, I am looking at trying a rifle I haven’t tried before. I owned a Ghost very very briefly, but bought it at the same time as a Skout, and there was no comparison at the time. I didn’t have the time to worry with two rifles, so I let it go. I like the idea of the platform being easily adapted for more barrels, so I can try other calibers if I decide to.
I think you may have answered it here. You dropped the ghost for the electronic epoch very quickly. Guessing the alpha/delta would be more appealing. If I had to go with one I’d probably choose the alpha as aesthetically it is bad azz to me and both are utterly ridiculous expensive so you might as well go all out. Seems it would be hard as I cannot fathom the alpha wolf being so much better than the epoch to justify the much higher price tag.

Since you say you prefer a regular style rifle and have a scout (bullpup) why not get a redwolf?
Fair question, considering the lack of info I provided… I didn’t want to bore you with tons of detail. I have owned 2 Red Wolves. Amazing rifles. I prefer to have a chassis (I know I can get one for over $1k). The limited real tuning options aside from a Helliboard which I had and liked… And I want to try something new. Most something new… I actually sold my last one when the Delta was being released, but then it got delayed and I bought a Crown instead to have something to shoot and LOVED it! Probably never should have sold that one.
I sold my other HP rifles in the fall due to not shooting and focusing on other things, and as usual, I regret it. I would buy another Skout in a heartbeat. Again though, I love trying new things.

I used and hunt with Ghost .30 Cal for a week and own a Delta in .30 Cal.

Both are extremely good. To shoot off hand the Ghost seem to be better. Best shot I have made off hand was made with the Ghost to a running quail at 40 yards.

Maybe the Delta is a little bit more comfortable to shoulder.

If you would like to have a super rifle and avoid changing calibers, go for the Red Wolf "non" HP and ask a 700 cc bottle to be installed. There you would have the must comfortable rifle to shoulder in the market, the electronic trigger a lot of shots per fill and a "decent" power for shooting up to 120 yards.

Second choice-> Vulcan 3 700 mm to shoot slugs at whatever distance you want to.

Third choice -> Sidewinder .25.

Fourth choice -> FX Panthera compact Hunter .25 Cal with a big bottle in the front and a small one in the rear.

You won't regret with any one of Ghost, Delta, Red Wolf, Vulcan 3, Sidewinder or FX Panthera.
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the other options. I have tried many, and am looking for different. Cricket/Delta/Ghost are the current options I am considering for new. Focusing right now on the Ghost bs Delta piece of the puzzle.

Vulcan has definitely been something I want to consider with that sweet chassis, but I tried slugs a bit and not for me. I have owned a lot of FX rifles and have liked them all, so just about trying a couple more brands right now.

I think you may have answered it here. You dropped the ghost for the electronic epoch very quickly. Guessing the alpha/delta would be more appealing. If I had to go with one I’d probably choose the alpha as aesthetically it is bad azz to me and both are utterly ridiculous expensive so you might as well go all out. Seems it would be hard as I cannot fathom the alpha wolf being so much better than the epoch to justify the much higher price tag.
I am knocking the alpha out for me, because I love the look of laminate, but prefer tactical much more due to being able to add weights and extend the bipod.

I get your comment in Alpha vs Skout and I tentatively agree. I’m not sure it could really be worth the price increase, but at the same time, I’ll never know if I don’t try it out, right? Probably should have kept that Skout!!

I like trying new things and seeing what they are like, so I know for me. Even in this particular scenario, I would rather have rifle style most of the time, but I loved my Skout and loved one of the Impacts I had. That being said, I didn’t like a few other bulloups I had… Ghost, Pulsar, Original Cricket, etc.

I’m NOT looking for the perfect rifle. I’m just looking to try new options and see what I like.

Last edited:
Aesthetically speaking = pretty is not as functional at the shoulder.... ask me how i know.
With a Alpha/Delta or ghost you can swap bottle sizes quickly because they have internal valving.... with a redwolf you can't since they are not valved... silly Daystate. I owned Skout Epoch in .177 for a while... magazine issues sent it home for good.

Some nice comparisons and observations...

I have both still... mine are the first of each to hit the USA and I've shot them both a LOT... I've acquired or fitted 177, 20, 22, 25, and 30 cal setups for them with a 17" 22 and 177 and 28" 22 and 30 in there also. I have a bunch of PRS stuff for the DW but only use the adjustable butt assembly.

The DW gets the most use, period... It spends most of it's time as a 20 cal. I like the PRS butt assembly, the free flight hammer, no cocking effort, and super fast tuning. It weighs more though. Battery life is not comparable to the RW. Needs to be charged pretty much after each use. I like the feel of the firing cycle more on the DW but it has a rattly feel compared to the RW. The Ghost needs to be tuned carefully to get near the efficiency of the DW which is still not close to the RW. Both are capable of pretty serious power but the violence of the cycle is unpleasant for me up there.

I would use the Ghost for hunting or more offhand shooting and the DW for pretty much everything else. I use the DW for our monthly and State ft matches, even though I have a small pile of nice, dedicated rigs.

If you end up with a DW, DON'T be afraid... there are people on here all the time asking for tunes and help... It's pretty easy and there's not much to F up except trying to empty it by firing. The valve can definitely be damaged with heavy hits at low pressure...

Just a few thoughts of mine..
Bob

I have both still... mine are the first of each to hit the USA and I've shot them both a LOT... I've acquired or fitted 177, 20, 22, 25, and 30 cal setups for them with a 17" 22 and 177 and 28" 22 and 30 in there also. I have a bunch of PRS stuff for the DW but only use the adjustable butt assembly.

The DW gets the most use, period... It spends most of it's time as a 20 cal. I like the PRS butt assembly, the free flight hammer, no cocking effort, and super fast tuning. It weighs more though. Battery life is not comparable to the RW. Needs to be charged pretty much after each use. I like the feel of the firing cycle more on the DW but it has a rattly feel compared to the RW. The Ghost needs to be tuned carefully to get near the efficiency of the DW which is still not close to the RW. Both are capable of pretty serious power but the violence of the cycle is unpleasant for me up there.

I would use the Ghost for hunting or more offhand shooting and the DW for pretty much everything else. I use the DW for our monthly and State ft matches, even though I have a small pile of nice, dedicated rigs.

If you end up with a DW, DON'T be afraid... there are people on here all the time asking for tunes and help... It's pretty easy and there's not much to F up except trying to empty it by firing. The valve can definitely be damaged with heavy hits at low pressure...

Bob
Nice Info Bob! esp about the valve damage potential... most folks don't think about endless dry firing damaging things.

Bob
Thanks for your input Bob. I definitely know you like yours. Your reports on the forums and a few others I have asked on the side have definitely helped me feel comfortable about possibly going that route.

The hardest part is choosing a caliber, and NOT being sucked into buying more barrels! Ha! .30 is getting all the love right now and has historically had great reports with the DW here, but I have so many more 25s and like the idea of shooting being a little cheaper with the smaller pellets. The RWs sure are getting a lot of 25 love right now, so I’m assuming the DW barrels must be related and should do very well too, no?

The 25 has been just as good... I'm not a 30 fan but both 25 and 30 have been pretty competitive right from the beginning. I don't see that you could go wrong with a 25...

The barrels are the same profile and batches from LW as a RW but the breech is slightly different and the RW doesn't have the chrono on the muzzle. The chrono has really been the source of most of the early accuracy issues but that's been sorted pretty well. I love having the chrono on it but if the Ghost could be considered better in accuracy (not in my experience), that would be where it lies. I've tested an awful lot and really can't see how the barrel clamp and other add ons would help. People believe what they want, though...

Again, just one persons experience and opinions..
Bob

Last edited:
Reactions: Stone02 and Smok3y
Do you know what the changes were and when they were made?
Bob can definitely tell you better than
I, but in several chrony cleaning videos I saw them talk about (and sometimes compare) the housing that attaches to the barrel. It appeared the chrony stayed the same but they changed the housing. One of the changes appeared to be airflow related back up into the shroud.

Reactions: Treks
Bob can definitely tell you better than
I, but in several chrony cleaning videos I saw them talk about (and sometimes compare) the housing that attaches to the barrel. It appeared the chrony stayed the same but they changed the housing. One of the changes appeared to be airflow related back up into the shroud.
You got it... there are 3 versions of housings that I know of besides my own... Memory isn't perfect but I believe the second and third were in the first year of production. I'd have to look back at my testing to be sure but believe mine arrived in August of 2019.

Now there MAY be chages I'm not aware of... I've been busy with other things for over a year, but that's as I have seen.

Bob

Reactions: Treks