Huben GK-1 turned convertible carbine with Corcoran walnut stock

GK Carbine.jpg

SMITTEN as I've been with far and away the most incredible air pistol in human history, I've felt it would almost be sacrilege to convert my GK into a carbine.

However, having had a jacked-up Steve Corcoran walnut shoulder stock sitting in a drawer for years now, with SC and GK both being of walnut persuasion lead to a leap of logic that introducing the two might have potentials for a match made in heaven. The realization that otherwise the shoulder stock goes completely to waste lead to the inescapable conclusion there was nothing to lose by trying to mate the two. Challenging, work and time-intensive as was the pairing, I'm pleased with the offspring.

Although the shoulder stock already sported a nice walnut grip-cap (with contrasting white accent strip), upon butchering the stock mating surface with the grip that produced the proper angle with the pistol, I felt another grip cap necessary to reinforce strength enough at the juncture to avoid breakage concerns.

With many exotic hardwoods and rosewoods from which to choose left over from my professional bow-building venture, and wanting to avoid refinishing of the stock and grip, both apparently using either no finish at all, or nothing more than oil finishes, I wanted a very dense, strong and pretty wood with plenty of natural oils that requires no finish whatsoever. For those reasons I chose Vera Wood (aka- Lignum Vitae).

A single, stainless steel philips-head screw threads into a threaded insert in the bottom of the GK-1 grip for quick and easy attachment and detachment of the pistol/carbine CONVERTIBLE shoulder-stock. Application of (natural) Tung oil not only completed the project, but brought renewed vigor to the "rode hard and put up wet" Corcoran stock.

GK Grip Cap.jpg

Although rains have prevented serious accuracy testing of the convertible carbine, initial test-firting suggests this thing may be the most deadly functional air-powered hunting tool I've experienced in 65 years of air-powered hunting experience(s).:oops:🤪

Last edited:
What you could find any harder wood? Kidding.
These years I am in sell only mode and I pat little attention to the newest latest greatest fad post(ers).
You like yours and share facts, SteveV wants one, I don't shoot pistols .... I think I'm going to get in trouble again with the airgun fund one day soon.

Cute little rig and I do NEED light weight these day's. Shucks.

John

Reactions: Bandito
Fine job Sir! The walnut that Huben uses has a great potential underneath the factory spray-tan. You would be pleasantly surprised if you stripped your GK1 grip of the factory painted finish and then stained and sealed it to match the beautiful Corcoran stock. Here's a before and after picture of my grip from a striping, fitting, and walnut stain job

Last edited:
Aunque las lluvias han impedido realizar pruebas de precisión serias de la carabina convertible, las pruebas iniciales sugieren que esta cosa puede ser la herramienta de caza de aire comprimido más letal y funcional que he probado en 65 años de experiencia en caza de aire comprimido :ups :🤪
Totalmente de acuerdo amigo, la GK1 con una culata y un visor es impresionante, la mayoría de las personas no son conscientes de lo que puede hacer, a larga distancia con munición correcta y bien ajustada.
Saludos.

G
Fine job Sir! The walnut that Huben uses has a great potential underneath the factory spray-tan. You would be pleasantly surprised if you stripped your GK1 grip of the factory painted finish and then stained and sealed it to match the beautiful Corcoran stock. Here's a before and after picture of my grip from a striping, fitting, and walnut stain job

Good job, A-H.(y) It does appear your GK grip after-staining result would come much closer to matching my Corcoran shoulder stock. Two questions-

1) Did your GK grip seem to have a layer of hard finish?
2) Regardless, how did you strip whatever existing finish was on the grip?

Thanks.

Totalmente de acuerdo amigo, la GK1 con una culata y un visor es impresionante, la mayoría de las personas no son conscientes de lo que puede hacer, a larga distancia con munición correcta y bien ajustada.
Saludos.

Muchas gracias, Barri.

Por favor pardona mi Espanol, no es muy bueno. Pienso es mas como Tex-Mex, o Tejicano.😂

De que pais es usted, Hermano?

G

Good job, A-H.(y) It does appear your GK grip after-staining result would come much closer to matching my Corcoran shoulder stock. Two questions-

1) Did your GK grip seem to have a layer of hard finish?
2) Regardless, how did you strip whatever existing finish was on the grip?

Thanks.
The Huben grip does have a hard plastic type of tinted finish. I used hardware store-bought paint stripper. Painted it on and used a toothbrush to work off the old finish. Because they don't sell harsh chemical type of stuff anymore, it takes a few applications, worked with the toothbrush, and rinsed off to get all the finish out of the wood pours. But afterwards it took the oil-based stain really well.

Can't . . . . hold out.........much...............LONGER
But but, for the same price you could have a silent AF Escape UL in .25, Tammy's old FT rig, maybe a gen 1 gauntlet that actually groups Very well, a modded Maximus and .... .
Hope you can get one, does seem the one actual (except maybe FT) do it all airgun.
Keep us posted when you do get yours.

John

But but, for the same price you could have a silent AF Escape UL in .25, Tammy's old FT rig, maybe a gen 1 gauntlet that actually groups Very well, a modded Maximus and .... .
Hope you can get one, does seem the one actual (except maybe FT) do it all airgun.
Keep us posted when you do get yours.

John
Well that won't be anytime soon. Hope all is well Breaux, hope you don't need to sell them all!