Huben GK1: What Silencer for Backyard Quiet? (or almost)

1. Soften/modify report to sound unlike a firearm / be less startling to neighbors
2. Dampen sound further so no ear protection is needed when shooting
3. Dampen sound enough so people indoors will not hear the noise clearly or associate the noise with airguns or a weapon
4. Ditto for neighbors outdoors
5. Main noise to shooter when firing is the action and pellet impact

Which level are you looking for?

Excellent sound reduction categories, thanks for that. 😊

I'm looking for level 4.*
And for 12FPE in .22cal.

*(Neighbors outdoors will not hear the noise clearly or associate it with a gunshot.)

If I recall, the subscriber model was for level 2 — while using much higher power.

@Steve-I, yes, I feel your pain, the forum's policies recent change concerning silencers has been extreme. ☹️

Your point of avoiding shots without a pellet is excellent — I also noticed the increased noise level. 👍🏼

Matthias

This forum's moderator policy does not hurt me. I have been designing and building moderators for years. I know what works and what does not. It is the OP and other forum members that ask the same question that gets hurt. They are the folks that go out and spend $200 for a moderator that does not meet their expectations because they were prohibited from the pertinent criteria to make an educated choice..

Reactions: JungleShooter
I recently just received my GK1 v3 .25. I got the Ares End cap 1/2x20 adapter and cover. When I put my DonnyFL Sumo on, it still shoots very loud. Just very curious on why it's still shooting loud. Is it the moderator (Quiets down my AEA SF at ~33fpe just fine)? Something I've done? The Sumo is the only moderator I have. Looking to minimize the sound as well as OP. See what I've done below.

GK1 v3 .25
Filled the GK1 to ~4300 PSI
Tuned the power level all the way down (Clock wise, hole below the trigger, and GK1 was upside down) until I couldn't go any further. Did one full 360 turn counter clock wise. Shot tested and I'm shooting ~425 fps with JSB Hades 26.54 gr which is about 10 fpe.
Did 5 shots. Each shot was loud. Definitely not back yard friendly compared to my Notos. I guess my question is, can I get it close to the sound level of my Notos? I'm really debating if it's the moderator... Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you!
Yes, I feel very privileged to have the gun a year or two before I thought I could buy one:
➠ By Providence I was given an unexpected trip to the US, and with it the opportunity to carry two guns in my luggage back to Peru — where airgun stuff is between 50% and 100% more expensive than in the US.

So I bought the GK1. And for a buddy of mine who just had a difficult heart diagnosis I brought him his first PCP.

Yes, the scope, a red dot, works quite well — it's a totally different animal:
▪Target acquisition is amazingly quick.
▪But, oh, do I miss my beloved magnification.....

● Silencers:
For now, I'm using a DFL Sumo (.177-.22) when in the backyard. It's veeery quiet.
I just would like to know how much shorter I can go with the silencer before things get too loud.

Matthias
Reading this now after my post. That's very odd. I'm shooting with my .25 GK1 and it's very loud at 10 FPE. Way louder than my AEA SF at 33 fpe. Both with the DFL Sumo.

I have said this before, but I should repeat this. Because of the unique valve system on the GK1, shooting this pistol without a pellet is much louder than with a pellet as it shuts the air off much later. So it is important when quiet is a concern to make sure you still have ammunition in the magazine regardless of what moderator you are using.

Reactions: MrP
I have said this before, but I should repeat this. Because of the unique valve system on the GK1, shooting this pistol without a pellet is much louder than with a pellet as it shuts the air off much later. So it is important when quiet is a concern to make sure you still have ammunition in the magazine regardless of what moderator you are using.
So are you saying I should load all 17 pellets then fire? I’ve shot 5 pellets back to back with 3 second intervals between each shot and it still sounds like I’m shooting with no moderator. That being said, I’m worried shooting it without the moderator…

Reading this now after my post. That's very odd. I'm shooting with my .25 GK1 and it's very loud at 10 FPE. Way louder than my AEA SF at 33 fpe. Both with the DFL Sumo.
Try a different moderator, I'm not sure if there's a large difference between shooting th m22 and .25 GK1 but I wouldn't shoot the GK1 without a moderator whether it's loaded or not. The GK1 is definitely louder when shooting with a projectile though.

Try a different moderator, I'm not sure if there's a large difference between shooting th m22 and .25 GK1 but I wouldn't shoot the GK1 without a moderator whether it's loaded or not. The GK1 is definitely louder when shooting with a projectile though.
What moderator do you recommend? I'm baffled with the other users in this thread saying their GK1 is whisper quiet. :unsure:

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
What moderator do you recommend? I'm baffled with the other users in this thread saying their GK1 is whisper quiet. :unsure:
I don't blame you, my GK1 sounded like a 9mm set at 32fpe in .22 eithout a moderator. I primarily used the huma mod 30 .177-.22 size. I can't remember if it's the one with the kevlar or not. I would say thats shooting the gk1 around 23fpe it's about as quiet as shooting an Akela or a benjamrin marauder. Somwhere around 70decibels bump it to 30-33fpe and you're around the low 80dbs. I have a video posted shooting the peanut slugs at 72fpe with audio if you want to check it out. Clearly I'm shooting 7 times the fpe you are but maybe it'll give you an idea as to just how much it shushes the noise. Even that power it's nowhere near unmoderated noise at low power.

Reactions: zerochance
I feel where you're coming from, seeing GK1 users using small moderators and then saying it's quiet.
I knew going in that a short barrel & high power was going to be loud, so I had Neil Clauge make me the smallest diameter length not important, moderator (pictured).

If it's quiet you are looking for, the middle moderator is also made by Neil Clauge and does a better job than the Emperor and costs less.

IMG_20240320_085229212.jpg

IMG_20240329_095708789.jpg

I feel where you're coming from, seeing GK1 users using small moderators and then saying it's quiet.
I knew going in that a short barrel & high power was going to be loud, so I had Neil Clauge make me the smallest diameter length not important, moderator (pictured).

If it's quiet you are looking for, the middle moderator is also made by Neil Clauge and does a better job than the Emperor and costs less.

View attachment 480253

View attachment 480254
By chance do you have a link or are these made by special requests? Will it work with 1/2x20 thread?

I don't blame you, my GK1 sounded like a 9mm set at 32fpe in .22 eithout a moderator. I primarily used the huma mod 30 .177-.22 size. I can't remember if it's the one with the kevlar or not. I would say thats shooting the gk1 around 23fpe it's about as quiet as shooting an Akela or a benjamrin marauder. Somwhere around 70decibels bump it to 30-33fpe and you're around the low 80dbs. I have a video posted shooting the peanut slugs at 72fpe with audio if you want to check it out. Clearly I'm shooting 7 times the fpe you are but maybe it'll give you an idea as to just how much it shushes the noise. Even that power it's nowhere near unmoderated noise at low power.
I might have to look into the huma. I was looking at DFL website and was in debate of the shogun or emperor or fat boy 2.0 for maximum quietness. Here's a youtube short of a guy shooting a shogun. Mine seems much louder with the Sumo, but due to the nature of audio recording and youtube we don't know for sure. 😋

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
By chance do you have a link or are these made by special requests? Will it work with 1/2x20 thread?
Yes 1/2x20, he can do tapered, flat.
Someone here sent him a GK1 for a custom shroud, so he is familiar with the GK1 platform.
Just pull his email off of contact page, email him

• Love
I might have to look into the huma. I was looking at DFL website and was in debate of the shogun or emperor or fat boy 2.0 for maximum quietness. Here's a youtube short of a guy shooting a shogun. Mine seems much louder with the Sumo, but due to the nature of audio recording and youtube we don't know for sure. 😋

You're going to be disappointed with the Fatboy 2.0 & the Huma, neither are going to give you what you're looking forward

The only thing that the fat boy does is give you modularity.But in reality it's not that good at hushing down the noise.