Huben GK1: What Silencer for Backyard Quiet? (or almost)

Note that different silencer manufacturers have opted to combine calibers.

If formerly, there was a silencer for each caliber:
now they offer combinations:
.177/.22
.22/.25
.25/.30

For this particular example: If you want to increase the tolerances for a shroud not quite lined up with the barrel (which could cause clipping) — for a .22cal gun buy the .22/.25 model.
But for maximum silencing — for a .22cal gun buy they .177/.22 model.

Matthias

The amount of sound from an air gun moderator is a product of expansion chamber volume and moderator bore size. Unfortunately because many moderator adaptors align with the shroud and not the actual barrel line, there is a possibility the moderator alignment to the barrel is not correct. The GK1 has this issue as does many other air guns. So the manufacturers use a much larger bore than the pellet diameter to prevent clipping and customer complaints. This hurts the moderator's ability to quiet the report. Of course other factors also influence the moderator's performance, those two are the most influential.

None of the available moderators are as effective as they should be because the moderator bore is much larger than it should be. This is necessary because the GK1 moderator adaptor aligns to the shroud not the barrel line. In so doing, clipping could occur caused by this barrel/moderator misalignment. In this case the longer the moderator, the more likely clipping occurs.
two layers of blue painters tape over the end of a .357 mod will quiet it down for a .25 bore even more for a smaller bore .

• Haha
Reactions: longdog
Hey I remember you mentioning this a few times earlier and meant to mention:

I was thinking that this reflects the fact that the GK 1 has a tensioned barrel system. The ldc adapter anchors on the shroud and pulls the barrel into alignment with itself when tightened.

Is this just a general issue with tensioned barrels?
It can be. In the case of tensioned barrels, if the moderator adaptor tries to do double duty, shroud clamp and moderator mount, only one will be boss. This is cheap to do and why it is done, but barrel to moderator alignment can be sacrificed. I have two GK1's, a Ver. 1 and a Ver. 3. In both cases the adaptor was NOT inline with the barrel.

I haven't experience clipping but I tend to favor a slightly oversized bore after conversations I've had with subscriber so that's probably why I haven't noticed any issues.

I would've thought that having a single piece screwing on the barrel on one side and having a moderator attach on the other would be the most direct connection you could get short of screwing the moderator directly onto the barrel itself. Again I'm assuming that the adapter is what ensures the alignment between the barrel and the moderator, not the shroud.

Last edited:
@JaceSpace1369 As far as I can tell the FatBoy was a flop anyway. I didn’t read many good things about it on the forums. Seems like it was just fat for nothing.
It really is meant for .25 and .30. It's only interchangeable because of the end piece. But with the channel inside being large enough to fit a .30 and suppress it, it's not gonna do much for a .177 or .22

I haven't experience clipping but I tend to favor a slightly oversized bore after conversations I've had with subscriber so that's probably why I haven't noticed any issues.

I would've thought that having a single piece screwing on the barrel on one side and having a moderator attach on the other would be the most direct connection you could get short of screwing the moderator directly onto the barrel itself. Again I'm assuming that the adapter is what ensures the alignment between the barrel and the moderator, not the shroud.
I have explained this issue in depth in previous threads. but I will do this one more time. Threads cannot provide alignment because of the required running clearance between the male and female components. Typically the mating elements are about 75% engaged to prevent seizing. This clearance can easily be felt with your fingers. If alignment is required, a register surface is used between the mating elements. In machine tools this reference surface is usually a tapered cone. Please notice there is no reference surface used in tensioned barrels that I am aware of and certainly not in the GK1. So the moderator adapter will assume alignment with whatever surface it tightens against. In the case of the GK1, it is the shroud not the barrel. If the shroud is square with the barrel you have no issues, but if not, you do. This is normally easy to detect with the proper tools, but there is a simple test you can perform yourself. If you make a rod that has the exact diameter of the lands in your barrel and that is placed through the end of the mounted moderator into the end of the barrel for a couple of inches. It should exit the moderator in the exact center of the moderator bore. If it does not, you have a problem.

Reactions: MrP and PCPFanNL
im a little slow sometimes - there were a couple of misconceptions / misreadings that were keeping me from understanding. Very clear this time though: the threads have play and so there are multiple angles the device can end up settling at in the absence of specific machining to prevent it.
Thank you for understanding this issue. It is one of the reasons why commercially make moderators do not silence as well as they should. None of them specifically state the moderator bore size. I bought 2 RTI Hush moderators with my .25 GK1s. The moderator bore on both is .360". My P700SA in .22 has a DonnyFL KOI and its bore is .280". It is needless to say their effectiveness is compromised because of this. In my experience of making these things over many years is that the optimum bore diametral clearance should be .020" between the pellet and the bore. The .25 barrel exit diameter is .247" plus .020" is .267" for .22 the barrel exit diameter is .213" plus .020 is .233".

thanks for the correction, sorry IMADMAN :) Yes folks please contact Torquemaster whom can print them for you!
I am happy using the moderator Torquemaster made for me and I have over 4000 rounds with no issues...

gk1 testing.jpg

subscribers moderator.png

Reactions: RAMJET66 and Mr.H
@JaceSpace1369 As far as I can tell the FatBoy was a flop anyway. I didn’t read many good things about it on the forums. Seems like it was just fat for nothing.
I actually kinda like the fatboy. It's nice and short. It's about as quiet as the Huben Shadow supressor. Maybe even 1 or 2db under. Its just a little too bulky for the GK1. You really need a red dot and possibly a riser. But for rifles it's a pretty good moderator, especially since you can switch out the end cap for .177, .22, .25 or .30.

Anyway, I finally bought the Shadow Supressor, and it has served me well. I like how light weight it is. And I can finally shoot with Iron sights if I want to.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369