Huben GK1: What Silencer for Backyard Quiet? (or almost)

None of the available moderators are as effective as they should be because the moderator bore is much larger than it should be. This is necessary because the GK1 moderator adaptor aligns to the shroud not the barrel line. In so doing, clipping could occur caused by this barrel/moderator misalignment. In this case the longer the moderator, the more likely clipping occurs.

Reactions: Bandito
OP cites .22 at 15fpe as the power level needing to be handled. At that power, an empty 1 inch diameter x 4" tube should keep it sounding like a toy. I am using one bored out for a .357 on my .25 because i already had it on hand, and it works well for me with the gun down at 30 fpe. At some point I may put some baffles in there. Once you get up closer to 40 FPE this little can just takes the edge off and no more.
IMG_8028.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm glad my thread is still alive.

I am still alive as well. 😆

And the shooting buddies and visitors have shoot more pellets through my new GK1 than I myself have.... — that's how much people like the gun....!

Well, I'm looking at close to midrange ratting, meaning I don't need a lot of power (unles I'm trying for glory kills). So, I wanted to tune it to a noise level that it can be shot without a silencer for many shots without being a bother to both shooter and bystanders.
The power ended up to be only 11.7FPE, not 15FPE.

However, I still will need a silencer when I need it quieter than that — what we can call "backyard quiet" — with US neighbors somewhat noise sensitive.

❓ So, for a 12FPE gun — what SHORT silencer would get it "US backyard friendly"....?
Hint: I am hoping for something less than 4" long....

Matthias

And the shooting buddies and visitors have shoot more pellets through my new GK1 than I myself have.... — that's how much people like the gun....!

Well, I'm looking at close to midrange ratting, meaning I don't need a lot of power (unles I'm trying for glory kills). So, I wanted to tune it to a noise level that it can be shot without a silencer for many shots without being a bother to both shooter and bystanders.

However, I still will need a silencer when I need it quieter than that — what we can call "backyard quiet" — with US neighbors somewhat noise sensitive.

❓ So, for a 12FPE gun — what SHORT silencer would get it "US backyard friendly"....?

Matthias
I didn't realize you got one! I remember you saying you were buying the scope in advance but couldn't get the gun for a while so congratulations on ending up with one.

I didn't realize you got one! I remember you saying you were buying the scope in advance but couldn't get the gun for a while so congratulations on ending up with one.

Thank you!
Yes, I feel very privileged to have the gun a year or two before I thought I could buy one:
➠ By Providence I was given an unexpected trip to the US, and with it the opportunity to carry two guns in my luggage back to Peru — where airgun stuff is between 50% and 100% more expensive than in the US.

So I bought the GK1. And for a buddy of mine who just had a difficult heart diagnosis I brought him his first PCP.

Yes, the scope, a red dot, works quite well — it's a totally different animal:
▪Target acquisition is amazingly quick.
▪But, oh, do I miss my beloved magnification.....

● Silencers:
For now, I'm using a DFL Sumo (.177-.22) when in the backyard. It's veeery quiet.
I just would like to know how much shorter I can go with the silencer before things get too loud.

Matthias

Reactions: MrP and Bandito
I know this is hard to define, but what level of quiet are you talking about?

Since I have mainly used 3-D prints and hollow aluminum tubes to quiet my airguns, I always find myself wondering what kind of sound suppression people are achieving with professional units when they say something is backyard friendly or mouse fart quiet, etc..

I imagine a few levels of sound control... this is just off the top of my head

1. Soften/modify report to sound unlike a firearm / be less startling to neighbors
2. Dampen sound further so no ear protection is needed when shooting
3. Dampen sound enough so people indoors will not hear the noise clearly or associate the noise with airguns or a weapon
4. Ditto for neighbors outdoors
5. Main noise to shooter when firing is the action and pellet impact

Which level are you looking for? Where I live "backyard friendly" means getting to level three, I feel fortunate. Actually I only need to get to level two because my neighbors are super relaxed, but I just don't like the idea of them having to hear me every time I'm plinking.

Last edited:

Matthias
I think Subscriber's 2.75" moderator is worth trying. It's pretty affordable and it's designed so you can use the factory sights. You can PM him here.

I have the Huben supressor for my .25 cal. It is still a bit louder than I would want for my yard with neighbors 50-100ft away. I want 4/5 on MrP’s scale in above post and I’m at 2/3. To me it sounds like striking a piece of rebar with a hammer. I could try turning down the power but accuracy suffers under 800fps. I probably should have bought the .22 cal because the .25 is more power than I want to use in my yard anyway.
How much quieter is the .22 cal than .25? If it is significant I might have to change it up.

Humad mod 40? Or mod30 I can't remember which one, it's the shorter one that's a 3 piece with the kevlar. That's been amazing on mine from 20fpe up to 72fpe on my .22gk1. At 20fpe from 5 feet away it sounds like the action is moving. You could likely take off one of the stacks if you're gonna shot 12fpe and be more than quiet enough.

20240519_085035.jpg

Attachments

• 20240626_112029.jpg
    20240626_112029.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: Barri_40
@JaceSpace1369 Have you ever used your mod30 with only one section? If so, how’d it sound? Can it only be used effectively while fully assembled?
It can be used effectively with 2, you may be able to use it somehwat effectively with just one at a lower power, but I tried it once at about 40fpe and it had a loud echo. Loud to me, is anything above the mid - high 80 decibels

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I find moderator threads like this very frustrating because the forum moderators here prohibit moderator design and construction comments and threads and yet that subject is very important to air gunners. I believe this forum's policy is out of order and fully expect this comment to be deleted as so many of mine have been in the past. Please comment on this before it is deleted.

One more point to address with the GK1 is that the unique valve system native to the GK1 dumps a lot more air and is subsequently much louder when firing against an open chamber regardless of the moderator in use. So in the name of sound pollution, it is very important to keep track of the remaining pellets in the magazine.

I find moderator threads like this very frustrating because the forum moderators here prohibit moderator design and construction comments and threads and yet that subject is very important to air gunners. I believe this forum's policy is out of order and fully expect this comment to be deleted as so many of mine have been in the past. Please comment on this before it is deleted.
@Steve-l The timing of the change sucks considering all that members were creating around the excitement generated by the release of the GK1. At least it doesn’t stop folks from enjoying this air pistol whether in the form of a Shorty or a carbine.

@Steve-l The timing of the change sucks considering all that members were creating around the excitement generated by the release of the GK1. At least it doesn’t stop folks from enjoying this air pistol whether in the form of a Shorty or a carbine.
It is not just the timing of the policy change. It is because the evaluation of the effectiveness of a moderator is so subjective. It is next to impossible to reproduce the exact same conditions of a test. However, there are some methologies that are more effective than others in reducing sound. These more successful methologies should be known by this community and by prohibiting their discussions, they are not.