Got my Zulus!

Wow what a fun piece of technology! I'm not big on the latest and greatest stuff especially when it comes to electronics but when I saw the hype around these and the price I knew I couldn't resist for long. My first day/night scope and can say it's pretty awesome do far. Really fits nice on my Taipan Shorty .22.
20240614_213926.jpg

Got everything updated and mounted. Sighted in at night time at 30yds. Tested the LRF and ballistic calculator and dead on at 50yds elevation wise. Only problem was it was about 3/4" to the right of target. There was some wind so I'm not 100% if it was that or not. I'm used to lining my crosshairs up to bore on normal scopes and then level scope. Obviously no option for that here so hoping that isn't an issue?? I'll test real early in the morning to see. Does seem centered on rail though so hope it's good and just the wind. I do like the built in gyroscope to check my cant. I can't wait to do pesting and start recording some shots!

Can't wait to see some night time kills. What type of night time pests do you have?
Well I do know on the dairy we have rats. So for sure that. Also we get mice in our house occasionally so I know they are around. So between those I should have alot of targets to choose from. Plus I will use it during the day and see how it does also.

Well I do know on the dairy we have rats. So for sure that. Also we get mice in our house occasionally so I know they are around. So between those I should have alot of targets to choose from. Plus I will use it during the day and see how it does also.
Looking forward to your in the field assessment of the Zulus… it looks sweet atop your Taipan… 🙏

Reactions: Dairyboy
@Dairyboy I’m sure you’ll have more than your share of ratting videos to share. I look forward to reading your assessment and about your rig & setup.
For now it's the Taipan Short tuned at 865fps with JTS 18gr. With a speed dial though i can very quickly set it up at 12fpe. I'd like that as well to switch between on the settings depending on what I'm doing or shooting. Hopefully will have time to play with that tomorrow

@Dairyboy So will it remain as a dedicated scope on a pesting rig? Is this the plan? Since you like to line up your crosshairs the ballistic calculations feature should be right up your alley if it works well. I'm assuming you'll have some outdoor bird pesting vids in the daytime too.
Yeah I think so. I thought about potentially swapping back and forth between this and my Long .22 but I got that gun so dialed in I don't want to mess with it. So likely will just stay on here. And this morning I did test and seems it was just the wind last night and it was good this morning. But yes the ballistic calculator seems to be working very well. Might need some tweaking but hard to tell. Wind picked up again and my holdovers are a little off but again could be wind as most my shots are from a wind coming in at 10-11oclock. Windy the next 3 days. I'll get it straightened out though soon. And I have shot a few birds but forgot to record lol hopefully get some vids up today of doing so.

@Dairyboy The video quality looks great man!! I’m thinking that the smaller birds are indoors roosting somewhere because they don’t want to blow away.
Yeah I'm very impressed by the video quality! Very crisp. Better by eye of course vs the video shown but still great. And yeah sparrows and starlings are always gone in the wind. Pigeons depends on the day but today with 20mph+ winds they usually are roosting also.

I realize I didn't think this through....we're in summer and it doesn't get real dark until like 10pm....then 4:30am you can start to see light already. Who knows how much night testing I'll get until fall and winter lol.
Did a little ratting with mine tonight, didn’t get started until 9:00 pm, way too late for this old man. But the rats did oblige.