Got the P-17 sighted in

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
I guess that a too bad soo sad thing.. in a dog eat dog world. If it aint Walmart they cry its the internet as well.., right?
Well, the complicated part is that they both have their benefits. For Walmart, it's the cheap prices for people who need cheap prices and they're in towns where there isn't anything else. The internet allows access to a vast array of products and while some bemoan the gas and exhaust from UPS, USPS and Fedex trucks doing delivery, that's also means a lot of people aren't driving to get their purchases.

As @smhardesty points out, the social aspect falls away in both of those scenarios as well as some local jobs. If people want, they have some options to make different choices, but that's limited according to geographic location and the corporate conglomerate routine often means that the choices aren't as free of entanglements as one might think or wish. For the rest, we just want what we want and we want now and we want it cheap! I bought my HW77 online from overseas because that was the only place that had it. And it was a great price, even with the high shipping. I wanted it now! I wanted it cheap!

Back to the Beeman P17, I bought mine from PA even though it was higher priced mainly because, as someone new to this, I liked the idea of having them open it up and put ten shots through it just to make sure everything was copacetic. So, the service factor appealed and I paid more even though it was cheaper from Midway. Lots of choices on the internet and none of our actions fall out simply.

"I wanted it now! I wanted it cheap!"

Ya, i can relate to that..lol.

Only thing in a pistol now that turns me off is co2.. it got to just be one more thing to deal with anymore .. i got a 38c that was great but co2 then the perice pin thing went dull and that led to the seal around it going bad. Probly the most actuate free hand pistol ive used. Nice to hold up level out on target with it.

Then i had a multi pump crosman. It shot anything you could stuff in the barrel,. We get them wood drilling bumblebees here and we'd make 'spitwad" bbs to shoot them , worked good and they did not damage stuff like shooting up to the rafters and hit the tin roof..

Your p17 looking interesting cause i see a lot of good reports on them . Seems you got a fun gun to play around with.

The way pellets are now a days id like to luck in to a good bb / pellet shooter and go bb to maybe cut cost and plink to 10y +/- ...

I see a problem with overseas . IF you do not buy local then local will go out of business and when you want it now it will not be there . Many shop's i used to shop at are no more because people went overseas or on line out of state just to save taxes or a less price . Then when they need it now well not available .

I see a problem with overseas . IF you do not buy local then local will go out of business and when you want it now it will not be there . Many shop's i used to shop at are no more because people went overseas or on line out of state just to save taxes or a less price . Then when they need it now well not available .

There is a whole lot of truth there. That's exactly what happened when Walmart and other big box brands started putting stores in smaller towns. People will shop where prices are cheap, or at least a whole lot will. That's what killed all the Mom & Pop shops. In larger cities the big box stores didn't have quite the effect that they did in small towns. This county I live in has a population of around 16,000. I'm sure there are a few people that won't shop at our local Walmart, but those people are too few to support smaller, locally owned stores with their higher prices. I'm one that at least tried, and still tries, to buy from local stores, but there are some things that none of the remaining local stores have. This town used to have two, really nice men's stores, about a half dozen or so women's stores, a couple of shoe stores, a good hardware store, etc, etc, etc. Not one of those stores still exists and nothing replaced them, except Walmart, So, now if I want a pair of nice shoes or a new suit I have only two options. I can travel about an hour and a half to a larger city, or I can opt to order online. I do miss the local stores and their higher end offerings, but at times I really appreciate Walmart's low prices on common items. In this case, you can NOT have your cake and eat it too.

I agree. In this case, I would have bought it in the US if I could have. But, I got caught up in the gimme, gimme, gimme of a new pursuit. It was definitely an impulse purchase. But I did buy my P17 and my HW75 from PA because, while I couldn't source it locally, I could deal with a US company that could support me if there was an issue. That's the other thing I thought about afterwards, what happens if there's a problem? At PA, I paid more and I paid tax, but I'm covered.

The other thing I'm glad for is that most states are charging tax on internet orders. It was too late by the time they did it, but it does give the local business a break. Again, because I'm a long time photo guy, I saw people going to the local store, checking cameras and lenses out, then buying them online to beat the tax. If I went to the local store to try it out, I would buy it from that store. I bought film and papers from that store so if I was working on a project in the darkroom and ran out, I could run down to the store to get more. I noticed more people I know shopping there after the tax law changes. Of course, a couple smaller stores went under by that time.

There was a uniform store here in downtown Seattle that had a huge shoe selection and I bought some comfortable, police style, shoes there. They got priced out of their location and moved to the south end. I went there to check out some shoes and the selection was tiny. They said that so many of their customers were buying shoes online that they were only stocking the basics that SPD and USPS employees tended to buy. It was sad.

The other thing I'm glad for is that most states are charging tax on internet orders. It was too late by the time they did it, but it does give the local business a break. Again, because I'm a long time photo guy, I saw people going to the local store, checking cameras and lenses out, then buying them online to beat the tax. If I went to the local store to try it out, I would buy it from that store. I bought film and papers from that store so if I was working on a project in the darkroom and ran out, I could run down to the store to get more. I noticed more people I know shopping there after the tax law changes. Of course, a couple smaller stores went under by that time.

There was a uniform store here in downtown Seattle that had a huge shoe selection and I bought some comfortable, police style, shoes there. They got priced out of their location and moved to the south end. I went there to check out some shoes and the selection was tiny. They said that so many of their customers were buying shoes online that they were only stocking the basics that SPD and USPS employees tended to buy. It was sad.

I'd give anything to have a decent photog store somewhere near me. I'm what they call a "serious amateur" photographer. I had a few shows and sold a lot of prints over the years. Unfortunately, my health issues put a stop to my going out and shooting what I want. I was locked into old barns and old, rusted trucks and tractors. I was only able to buy photography equipment via the 'Net. I was a late bloomer in the photog hobby. I started with a DSLR and wasn't getting the type of shots I thought I was capable of. I sold the DSLR I had and bought several Minolta film cameras. I shot with B&W as well as color film. Knowing I was limited in the total number of shots I could take on a roll of film and knowing what it was going to cost me to get it shipped off and developed forced me to slow down, spend more time framing the shot, and make sure I had the correct settings for the shot. Once I did that and it became second nature, I went back to DSLRs. Now, I use what they call bridge cameras. The only problem is I still can't go walk around to get the old barns, trucks, and tractors.

There were several stores in this area that tried doing what that shoe store did. They reduced inventory, laid off employees, moved to smaller stores, and about every other trick you can think of. Only a very few survived. We no longer even have a decent furniture store in town. Yes, there are two stores, but one only handles really low end furniture and the other never has anything to speak of on the floor. They try to sell you something by looking at it on their website. I just can NOT buy a sofa or easy chair by looking at a picture. I need to sit in the thing and even lie down on the sofa before I know if it's what I want. Those are some of the items we make a special trip to a city with multiple stores when we make a purchase. Same is true for any shoes or boots I buy. My feet are WIDE. I've tried ordering shoes off the 'Net, but I have yet to get a pair I could wear.