Got the P-17 sighted in

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
I have two of these, and honestly, they just shoot basically ANYTHING pretty well. As a laugh, I even bought some round ball, and the darn things shoot it reasonably well.

I do like my P11 and HW75 better, of course, but, I mean, you can buy 10 of the P17's for the price of ONE of those without the pistol RDS on it. (And you KNOW they deserve a good RDS...)

I did use sugru on one of the grips to make it more 'target' style. Feels pretty great and has held up well for 5+ years now.

OK. I know what sugru is, but exactly how did you use it to make the grip more target style? Is that something worth checking out if I'm just plinking with the gun, or is it something best left for more experienced shooters?

Hogue, I don’t remember what model pistol it was for, full size. Inexpensive.

5DA3B44C-8255-4677-A08A-1AF738F069A2.jpeg

Try some Daisy flat nose pellets. I've gotten surprisingly good accuracy with them out to 10 meters. I had no trouble loading them into the P17 and they are very cheap.
The black plastic boxed one i like.. they did real well and can be had for like 2-4$ a box (250-500 count). Heck they were on sale at daisy, may still be.

The black plastic boxed one i like.. they did real well and can be had for like 2-4$ a box (250-500 count). Heck they were on sale at daisy, may still be.
I've never seen the ones in the black plastic.box. These are the ones I used to get at walmart. I used to pay about two bucks and change for a tin of 500. They're probably about what you pay now for yours. They're probably the same pellet just different packaging. Never had much luck with them in a rifle but they've been shooting great out of the P17.

1665610657699-929222426.jpg

Hey. Good news for a change. I stopped in our local farm service store for some small engine parts. There was a line at the counter so I strolled around and stopped at the firearms counter. I just happened to look up and I immediately saw a pack of 500 flat-nosed Daisy .177 pellets. While I waited for the guy to finish with another customer, I also noticed a package with 250 Crosman Precision Wadcutters and 350 BBs. I didn't want the BBs, but the price was low enough that I went ahead and grabbed a package. I'll run some of each through the P-17 next time I shoot and see how the P-17 handles each of them. Tonight I'll sit and sort BBs from pellets. The pack with both of them had apparently been handled a little roughly and the BBs and pellets had all mixed together. Rats!

If only the engine parts had gone that well.

EDIT: Moog, you jumped in there while I was typing. The Daisy pellets I got are in a black, plastic box.

Daisy got yhe Winchester flats 500 count at 5.40 a tin.

Whats funny to me is like the Walmarts around here sell daisy brand BB's and the gosh awful pointed pellets and none of the others .. you think yhey could have some extra choice like have the flats as well . But nope. Daisy has a gew choices id try but no loval store has any . Just them sad pointed.. go figure

Daisy got yhe Winchester flats 500 count at 5.40 a tin.

Whats funny to me is like the Walmarts around here sell daisy brand BB's and the gosh awful pointed pellets and none of the others .. you think yhey could have some extra choice like have the flats as well . But nope. Daisy has a gew choices id try but no loval store has any . Just them sad pointed.. go figure

I'm with you 100%. I checked our Walmart and all they had in stock were BBs. Period. Not one pellet in the store. That's why I was kind of surprised to see the Daisy flat-nosed and the Crosman wadcutters at the local farm service store. I was back there today for a couple more small engine parts. I took time to look over the offerings they have in powder guns as well as airguns. What a crazy mixture. The only long guns in the store are true powder guns, as in black powder. Not a single rifle or shotgun. But, they have a full selection of handguns, both in black powder and conventional powder. Then, they have scopes, Red Dots, and prisms, but the cheapest one they have is $169 and only a couple in that price range. From there prices jumped to about $249 and went on up. Not a single sight or scope of any kind for under $169. I would think they'd have an occasional call for a slightly lower priced scope.

Scares me too. I have to thank several of you guys for telling me to use either a glove or a rag. Had I not done that, I might very well have lost a little skin.
The feeding a horse trick... keep the carrot, apple, whatever on a flat open palm with fingers out of the way. The glove more helps with blisters than anything else if you keep a flat hand closing the gun.

I'm with you 100%. I checked our Walmart and all they had in stock were BBs. Period. Not one pellet in the store. That's why I was kind of surprised to see the Daisy flat-nosed and the Crosman wadcutters at the local farm service store. I was back there today for a couple more small engine parts. I took time to look over the offerings they have in powder guns as well as airguns. What a crazy mixture. The only long guns in the store are true powder guns, as in black powder. Not a single rifle or shotgun. But, they have a full selection of handguns, both in black powder and conventional powder. Then, they have scopes, Red Dots, and prisms, but the cheapest one they have is $169 and only a couple in that price range. From there prices jumped to about $249 and went on up. Not a single sight or scope of any kind for under $169. I would think they'd have an occasional call for a slightly lower priced scope.
I'm surprised they didn't have the usual Walmart fodder of cheap Tasco scopes and stuff like that.

I'm surprised they didn't have the usual Walmart fodder of cheap Tasco scopes and stuff like that.
Thats funny cause i go in to stores thinking / hoping to find somthing other than walmart and guess what ... They just got the same as walmart just higher pricing.. like one time was bolts same brand , same packaging and all bit walmart wanted 89¢ a bag of 2 the hardware store was 2.18$. thing is if he was anyway close in reason in the price like 98¢ or 1.10. Id of just bought them from him. But that spread i could afford to run across town to walmart and buy them .. heck buy 2 extra bags at that ... Then listen to the guy cry how times are tough for his shop.. i mean really..? Wonder why

Then like crosman cphp pellets like P.A wants $10 a tin then you got shipping and all bit walk in Walmart and its 6.45 and have them in hand right now ....?? Lol.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. This isn't a really wealthy area of Southeastern Illinois. There has to be a large number of guys that can't afford a $200 scope on their squirrel gun or their kid's gun. Normally, in this part of the country, you'll find a whole counter full of the cheaper scopes, then a few of the high dollar scopes. It was just a strange mixture of guns and accessories. All the pellet guns were the cheaper Crosman and Daisy models. More what you'd buy for a younger kid to try out and not what an adult would be looking for. And I still can't get over the fact they had NO rifles or shotguns, other than black powder stuff. Weird.

Thats funny cause i go in to stores thinking / hoping to find somthing other than walmart and guess what ... They just got the same as walmart just higher pricing.. like one time was bolts same brand , same packaging and all bit walmart wanted 89¢ a bag of 2 the hardware store was 2.18$. thing is if he was anyway close in reason in the price like 98¢ or 1.10. Id of just bought them from him. But that spread i could afford to run across town to walmart and buy them .. heck buy 2 extra bags at that ... Then listen to the guy cry how times are tough for his shop.. i mean really..? Wonder why

Then like crosman cphp pellets like P.A wants $10 a tin then you got shipping and all bit walk in Walmart and its 6.45 and have them in hand right now ....?? Lol.

There was a young guy that opened a new gun shop in a pole barn behind his house. It wasn't too far from here. I went in one time and quickly realized I couldn't afford to shop there. If I recall, I was looking for .22 ammo at the time. His prices were a real shocker. Just like you said, I could afford to wait until I got back home and hit the local Walmart. I absolutely hate having to shop at Walmart, but when you can save half of what somebody else wants for the same, exact item it's kind of a no brainer.

And before anybody takes offense because I don't like Walmart, that happens to be because of all the local Mom & Pop shops that had to close their doors after Walmart moved into town. Small towns like this one have deserted downtown areas now. You can go to about any town in several counties around here and see storefront after storefront with huge "For Rent" or "For Sale" signs in the windows. It's kind of sad to see. I miss a lot of the local businesses that no longer exist.

There was a young guy that opened a new gun shop in a pole barn behind his house. It wasn't too far from here. I went in one time and quickly realized I couldn't afford to shop there. If I recall, I was looking for .22 ammo at the time. His prices were a real shocker. Just like you said, I could afford to wait until I got back home and hit the local Walmart. I absolutely hate having to shop at Walmart, but when you can save half of what somebody else wants for the same, exact item it's kind of a no brainer.

And before anybody takes offense because I don't like Walmart, that happens to be because of all the local Mom & Pop shops that had to close their doors after Walmart moved into town. Small towns like this one have deserted downtown areas now. You can go to about any town in several counties around here and see storefront after storefront with huge "For Rent" or "For Sale" signs in the windows. It's kind of sad to see. I miss a lot of the local businesses that no longer exist.
Here the local stores / local owned are twice the price and the ones that stay around got that one thing going for them walmart cant do ... And thats give credit or a running account.. the son of a place was a friend from school and he said folks got a tab with them a mile long and just make monthly payments.. then its the stuff walmart dont offer that they do. Or a speciality iyems . Like i cracked my best ax handle . Walmart aint got that . .. i dont mind a little extra pricing but most times it a you got to be kidding price vs walmart .

Whats funny i went to a goodwill thrift store to look for a nice 6-9" "frygong" to hang and shoot but browsing around even there prices on the well used "junk" not there close to newer was more then you can buy it new.. crazy..

You guys do realize that large vendors like Walmart and Amazon negotiate huge discounts because they buy in bulk for their warehouse/chain situation, right? So, a local store has to pay far more for the same item. Also, the amount paid to employees and benefits given affects all of this as well. Amazon is extremely harsh about how it negotiates, their approach is "Here's what I'm going to pay or your products will not be in our warehouses." And they have so much power that the companies have to cave. People love to shop over the internet. And all of this has destroyed local business in America. Not just that we're cheap and lazy, but this creates a vacuum of choice. So what are you going to do? I'm not rich, but I try to buy everything I can at the local store, and for internet orders I'll pay PA's prices or AoA or people that support our hobby/industry. Same with photography stuff, local store then internet that is NOT Amazon.

You guys do realize that large vendors like Walmart and Amazon negotiate huge discounts because they buy in bulk for their warehouse/chain situation, right? So, a local store has to pay far more for the same item. Also, the amount paid to employees and benefits given affects all of this as well. Amazon is extremely harsh about how it negotiates, their approach is "Here's what I'm going to pay or your products will not be in our warehouses." And they have so much power that the companies have to cave. People love to shop over the internet. And all of this has destroyed local business in America. Not just that we're cheap and lazy, but this creates a vacuum of choice. So what are you going to do? I'm not rich, but I try to buy everything I can at the local store, and for internet orders I'll pay PA's prices or AoA or people that support our hobby/industry. Same with photography stuff, local store then internet that is NOT Amazon.
I guess that a too bad soo sad thing.. in a dog eat dog world. If it aint Walmart they cry its the internet as well.., right?

Yep. You hit the nail right on the head. And I do appreciate buying certain things at a much lower price than I could at a local store. One of the things that the loss of the Mom & Pop stores created is the ability to go into an old, small, locally owned hardware store and buy a repair part for something. In the town I grew up near, there was a hardware store owned by a local family. I can recall multiple trips to the store with either my dad or my granddad looking for a repair part for a bathroom faucet, or a water pump, furnace, light fixture, etc, etc, etc. The elder family member owner would sit there in his rocking chair looking at the part. He'd study it carefully, then stand up and say, "I'll be right back." Then he would head to a REALLY old, open, elevator. It was a freight elevator actually. He'd head to the basement and you could hear him rattling things as he moved old boxes of stuff around. Then, the elevator would come back up and he'd come over and hand Dad or Granddad the part they needed. Try that at Walmart. LOL!

We've become a throw away society. You don't fix a faucet anymore. You just replace it with another cheap one. When we bought this place and did all the remodeling, the master bath was completely gutted and we started over. We picked out high end fixtures including a very nice, high priced, Moen faucet. We started having problems with it about 6 months ago. Two weeks ago our contractor tackled that problem. He removed the faucet and showed us where the problem was. The mixing valve was toast! It was leaking badly. No replacement parts for it. So, we put a brand new one in.

I used to build computers. I started before you could buy a Dell, Gateway, or HP. Actually, my first computer was built on a piece of plywood. LOL! But I did begin to build computers for customers. I could build a better computer for less money than any of the brand names could. Over time, those companies got big enough that they started doing exactly what you are talking about. They'd tell hardware manufacturers how much they would be willing to pay for parts and pieces. Then, they started negotiating with Microsoft for copies of licenses for Windows. They were buying tens of thousands of copies and I was buy a half dozen. It finally got to where I just could no longer compete. I started telling everyobdy to just go to Walmart and buy whatever is cheapest.