Grace USA Pin Punches (Review)

Most airguns are put together with various screws, but you may find an occasional need for a pin punch, like the pins on the front of a Gamo moderator (although a small nail is usually sufficient because the shroud is plastic). Most pin punching is done on firearms, but it's still helpful to know something about it to work on airguns. I've done some amateur work on firearms, bluing, crowning, basic repairs, changing a broken trigger spring on an old .32 was my last foray. It was fun hand-filing a basic stock spring into shape for an hour (a grinder detempers the steel), then squeezing the trigger and getting it going again. But this is about punches.

So I recommend Grace's seven-piece punch set as a great beginner's set for flat pins (PS-7), made in Michigan with a lifetime guarantee. Pins on firearms are slightly tapered so they're driven out in a certain direction, usually left-to-right, then they're driven in right-to-left. So I put permanent marker on the right side of the pin before driving it out, because that taper is usually too small for me to see. And what if a previous gunsmith drove them in wrong? Boy howdy, keep that in mind if they're really tight. And get yourself a proper punch pin hammer, you really don't want to use a carpenter's hammer. So anyway here they are:

Now if you've roll or spring pins, which is what's on the aforementioned Gamo, you'd technically use a roll pin punch that has a little nub on the tip. But the Gamo's shroud is plastic so any punch is sufficient, but on firearms it's different because those pins are usually pretty tight. They're not tapered, but if driven out with a flat pin punch it can deform the roll pin's shoulders, so a roll pin punch is used (RS-7):

Driving roll pins back in may require a special roll holder punch (RSH-5), although I've never used them, if they're tight going in I use luck and an an old brass punch (or the short punches to follow):

A common problem with driving pins is bending the punch. This is usually caused by hitting the punch inaccurately, too hard, using the wrong hammer (i.e. carpenter's), or driving it the wrong way. So I've two sets of these short punches that don't bend easily (if at all), one set I ground the nubs off to use on flat pins since I don't want them dimpled. These are usually used as starters, they may not be long enough to drive the entire pin out (SRS-7):

Well, that's about everything I know about punches, aside from the boxing kind, I hope you learned something.

EDIT: I'll add, when driving pins the item has to be very secure, and you want to strike it at a perfect 90-degree angle. Like with the .32 pistol I mentioned before, I put it on an old "lead sled" bag with extra canvas under the spot where the pins were so as not to puncture the bag, when I hit those pins they came right out. There's also bench blocks that are designed to hold gun parts securely.

Last edited:
Thank you for the review, appreciate it! I usually use Wheeler tools. They make all sorts of gunsmithing tools, and I have been using them for years now. But I'll put Grace tools on my radar too, they look really good. Plus, they are made in the USA and carry a forever guarantee. Nice!

I've a Wheeler gunsmith tool kit, I was planning on reviewing that too at some point. Great stuff, the screwdriver bits are made for guns, the way they're ground for fitment, blades of various width and thickness; typical hardware store or mechanic's screwdrivers aren't really suitable for guns.

Reactions: uladz
I've a Wheeler gunsmith tool kit, I was planning on reviewing that too at some point. Great stuff, the screwdriver bits are made for guns, the way they're ground for fitment, blades of various width and thickness; typical hardware store or mechanic's screwdrivers aren't really suitable for guns.
That's how I started with Wheeler, I originally was working on firearms and most of my tools are from that time. And actually still do. Then I moved to airguns and continued to use the same tools that I use for firearms. Work great on both :).

Reactions: Air King