• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
I am new to PCP airgun shooting, but have an interesting thought that translates from powder burner reloading and tuning. From what I've noticed just shooting the one PCP I have, you have control over a few things to make the gun shoot like you want. Regulator pressure, hammer spring tension, and pellet selection.

This thread will focus on pellet selection and group shape. These rifles are extremely accurate and consistent and seem to shoot pellets very well. Some pellets shoot great. Stealing from Jack Neary's (HOF benchrest shooter) assessment of group shape indicating what you need to do in regards to powder and seating depth can help determine what's going on with an air rifle if used in the same capacity.

So without messing with the regulator or hammer spring and just testing a lot of different pellets and weights, I think you find a lot that shoot well, but the interesting thing to evaluate would be group shape. Size matters 😎 but shape can give insight as to what is going on harmonically with your barrel. Horizontal, vertical, oval/round circle (optimal), diagonal (worst), double grouping; they all indicate what your barrel is telling you it wants.

Obviously you would have to shoot very well to notice the difference in group size and shape, but does anyone have any anecdotal experience with this? Does your best shooting pellet group well and have a round shape to it? Have you tested pellets that group ok but the dispersion is horizontal, vertical, or diagonal? I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

With PCPs it’s really hard if ,not impossible, to ignore hammer spring, reg pressure, or fill pressure for unregulated. Pellets have happy zones of velocity, and if you’re testing them outside of that, you’re just plinking. I’ve found basically shotgun patterns. You at least have to stick with similarly weighted pellets to keep velocities close. My CZ200 likes 4,51 or 4.52 pellets from 8.4-13 gr, 10.3 the best.
I find PCPs a lot more work than PBs. All my 10/22’s and AR had a factory load they liked. And it ended there.
Now I feel like a mad scientist trying all types of variations. I should have just went with an HW97 and called it a day haha

And... as it happened it was a double post and my comment got derailed over there.........