Guns and Ammo airgun of the year award

A new airgun category has been added to Decembers issue of Guns and Ammo magazine. The Stoeger team and Benelli USA is pleased to announce the XM1 Scout as its top pick. Official announcement from Guns and Ammo will be made in the next few days.

Airgun Revisions is a full line authorized dealer in the US. The Scout and Ranger models come with Buckrails all new modular moderator through AR only. Spring piston guns will be added shortly to the site.

Thank you, Airgun Revisions

IMG_3708.jpeg

They need to send that gun to me,I'll give it a honest review. I bet it doesn't have power enough to even shoot the heavier stuff. Air gun of the year? There kidding right?
I have the Ranger in .22. I have guns costing much more and have just got my firearm gunsmith into this . He bought the Scout version in .25. I am impressed with these guns !! Factory tune spits 18gr pellets out at 910 fps. I'm regularly taking pigeons at 50 yrds . It shoots 21gr JTS semi domes at 860+fps . Slugs are great also , BUT , these guns need moderators ! I intend to get another Ranger down the road for groundhogs in .25 caliber. I know these are rebranded Snowpeaks so... they are what they are . In my opinion, these are guns that you don't play with tuning , just gas up , load up & shoot ! My 2 cents .

While the old gun writers were entertaining, it was quite rare to hear a discouraging word in their gun reviews. Their bread was buttered by the gun manufacturer's. The magazines DO NOT survive on paid subscriptions from their readers. I've not seen the old school gun rags review a gun and then not have at least one full page ad for that same gun in the magazine. That is not a coincidence.

Reactions: W.Sheid
I quit contributing to magazines in the 1980s when they started shamelessly pandering to advertisers, not readers. And of course you can take everything advertisers say as udder🐄 gospel🙏.

Do the math on this AD. 3,000 PSI fill pressure + 2,030 PSI reg pressure + 200cc chamber capacity + 18" barrel + 1,000 FPS = ANEMIC shot counts.

But of course we can confidently assume the power figures might be as fudged as most airgun peddlers' power figures are (by quoting velocity numbers with the lightest ammo); in which case we might optimistically hope for 20 regulated shots per fill.

"We tested the .25-caliber model on paper at 100 yards and then out to 150 yards against steel." With such rigorous accuracy testing protocols we can assume it keeps most of its shots on an 8.5x11" target at 100 yards, and a 12" plate at 150.

Better get 'em before they're gone, Folks!

I'll be happy to help the inevitably disappointed new shooter into a better package. Also, if a beginners airgun is enough to keep a new shooter happy, that's great! And, if the inevitable breakdown doesn't make them walk away from the sport, awesome. If not, they weren't meant for it.

Oh, why the shock over advertising buying articles? That's how news papers, and by extension magazines started in this country. Well, mostly news papers.

I quit contributing to magazines in the 1980s when they started shamelessly pandering to advertisers, not readers. And of course you can take everything advertisers say as udder🐄 gospel🙏.

Do the math on this AD. 3,000 PSI fill pressure + 2,030 PSI reg pressure + 200cc chamber capacity + 18" barrel + 1,000 FPS = ANEMIC shot counts.

But of course we can confidently assume the power figures might be as fudged as most airgun peddlers' power figures are (by quoting velocity numbers with the lightest ammo); in which case we might optimistically hope for 20 regulated shots per fill.

"We tested the .25-caliber model on paper at 100 yards and then out to 150 yards against steel." With such rigorous accuracy testing protocols we can assume it keeps most of its shots on an 8.5x11" target at 100 yards, and a 12" plate at 150.

Better get 'em before they're gone, Folks!

Tested shot count of my Ranger .22 ,60 shots on the reg w/ 18gr pellets . This is factory tune , 900+ fps. PA g-hog taken at 57yrds w/ JTS 21gr semi dome pellet. The reg is 115 bar. I got misinfo about reg pressure , but AR squared me away. Please don't kick this gun out the door till you try it . AND I don't buy magazines either , now I read the internet & forums.

Reactions: Dairyboy and Perle
Tested shot count of my Ranger .22 ,60 shots on the reg w/ 18gr pellets . This is factory tune , 900+ fps. PA g-hog taken at 57yrds w/ JTS 21gr semi dome pellet. The reg is 115 bar. I got misinfo about reg pressure , but AR squared me away. Please don't kick this gun out the door till you try it . AND I don't buy magazines either , now I read the internet & forums.

Thanks for providing more worthwhile specifics than the quoted ad, C.

Although I've been pleasantly surprised with a couple AEA airguns I've owned, apparently they've achieved the improbable by getting 60 shots on the reg w/ 18gr pellets at 32+ foot pounds from a 3,000 PSI fill of a 200cc chamber with only 18" of barrel That's phenomenal. :unsure:

FWIW, here's some phenomenal performance I got from a .30 AEA Challenger bullpup-

AEA .81 at 100.jpg

AEA .85 at 100.jpg

AEA 30 and target.jpg

By the way, should you ever come back to books-

AAP new cover small.jpg

Last edited:
We the actual owners with our own dollars have stolen their thunder...and they desperately want it back. Another domino fell just a few weeks ago if you are in the real estate game. Same thing, when the ability to communicate freely and easily world wide changes all games. Was it Confucius? May you live in interesting times. My fave? Change, it is the ONLY constant. For an exercise, grab a Guns and Ammo or other from 20 years ago and read a gun review. Downright quaint when read through the lens of today.

I have the scout in .25.

Hate to break it to you guys but it’s a damn good rifle. Accurate AF, powerful and well made. Great trigger, fits like a glove. 5 year warranty Balanced handling.
Personally I think it’s an unknown gem. Glad there is some talk about it !

It “ - ucks hard “ for its price

Last edited:
G&A was a favorite magazine of mine as a kid / teen, which is probably pretty unique when it come to Danish kids / teens.
Also read Soldier of Fortune a lot back then, which probably scare even more.
We got a lot of,,mmmm " fringe " literature from the US in the pre internet days.

You will have to be very convincing to get me to jump when you yell that, biggest chance are probably i drop and do my commando crawl.
Always want what he cant get, always have to be different.

Reactions: W.Sheid
Nothing against the Stoeger, but the "review" is vapid rubbish. G&A has a long history of pandering to advertisers and hyping some real lemons. As a consumer I'd look elsewhere for information and completely disregard G&A.

GsT
It does show a total lack of understanding of the sport. "Air rifles have always been great starts for children."
Today at the Rio Salado match I saw PCPs that cost more than my first three cars combined. I saw one guy shooting 457 and the investment of his air tanks alone were worth what I put down on my current home 17 years ago.

I knew a guy maybe 10 years ago, Mark, I think his name was, he had an M40 tattooed on his arm and was known to have visited interesting places with it.
He told me that better shots he knew, at his level, considered air rifles "graduating" from powder guns.

Considering air rifles a child's teaching tool or toy is a mentality and an error. Even starting a conversation or article that way, does no favors to their randomly chosen PCP gun.
Mark telling me his opinion changed air rifle from a hobby to a discipline I will follow for my foreseeable future. I won't be getting a gun from an ad/article that starts out screaming that they arent in the club and don't care much to know it.