GX Compressor Longevity

Lots of questions about how robust GX compressors are and what maintenance needs to be done.
I had some time at lunch today and it was time for the CS2 to get it's visual inspection. I usually pull the piston out, but I am pretty familiar with this compressor, so I just pulled the head to look things over and see how it's doing. As you can see from the pics it's nice and clean, with a very thin film of grease on the cylinder walls and the underside of the head, so all is well. In another 3-6 months I'll pull everything out, clean it up and relube and reassemble, but for now it's going strong. As you can see this one is from May 2022, and that's just about when I bought it, so just over two years of almost daily use, and it looks perfect.

I have three CS2 compressors and my neighbor has a CS3 that I sold him, and all look the same way. I've run the above compressor almost every day, and the two others get about half that use, as they are at other shooting locations. I only pump up rifles with tanks ranging from a FX Dream Tac tiny tank, all the way up to my Brocock Bantam 580cc, and they fill quick and that's why I don't fool with auto stop of the CS3, and sold it.

I really recommend these compressors, they work well, parts are readily available and a complete rebuild is less than an hours work if you work slow. I can tear one down to nuts and bolts, without taking the drive gear out, in less than 20 minutes. I thought about buying an extra cylinder, and then I thought why not just buy another entire unit and have all the parts. Well, I did buy some parts from Target Forge and GX USA and I have an extra compressor for parts, and in over two years haven't used a single part.

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

No I don't track hours. I use this particular compressor almost every day, so I check it every few months. Something like every 3 months, as long as it doesn't get slow along the way, if so then it gets checked sooner, but that's not happened.
I had extra time and went ahead and pulled the piston, and it looks great. You can see how I pack the lube band on the piston with grease. That grease was put in there about 3-4 months ago, and it looks great. Also, you can see the high pressure piston looks fine too.

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

This is a very encouraging thread for someone like me who was burned on a much more expensive compressor a handful of years ago. I'm leaning very much towards the GX C4-I, but may I should spend less on an earlier model since I'll be filling a single gun with a 311 CC air tube. I won't be shooting every day. A lot for me would be 100 shots in a week and then only when squirrel season is in.

Should I expect this to be more than adequate? Or something else?

CS3 PCP Air Compressor, Auto-Stop,Oil-Free, Built-in Water-Oil Separator Filter, Powered by Car 12V DC or Home 110V AC w/Converter,4500Psi/30Mpa,Paintball Air Compressor Pump​

That's a perfect compressor for your needs.

The cs4 is bigger, and heavier... unless you're doing a lot of shooting or filling tanks, you'll be good with the cs3 or cs3-i

I just ordered the GX CS3-I. I'm hoping it comes with the fitting I need to attach to the Taipan Veteran II Long. Or the rifle comes with it?
Thanks for the information.
Roy
The compressor comes with a quick connect end on the hose. If your fill adapter has a male end, odds are you'll be good to go when it arrives

How well suited is the GX CS4 for filling tanks?
It works well. Many people expect it to be fast like a yong heng, it's not as fast as one of those.

But it still is quicker then any of the portable air cooled compressors out there. Big advantage to the CS4 is its not nearly as loud as the air cooled ones. And no where near as big of a mess as the yong heng with all the extra "support" that compressor needs such as water tank, hoses, etc... The YH is not even portable, same as many of the other bigger compressors.

If I go out shooting with friends, the CS4 is my go to compressor, we can top off larger tanks while shooting and fill guns directly.

They really are great. I have had mine for a year and a half. I have taken it down and re greased it one time. I don’t use it nearly as much as the op but it’s been solid. 90 percent of any issues you have are most likely going to be in that piston assembly. You don’t even have to mess with it as the whole assembly can be bought for 60 -70 bucks with orings already installed from target forge. Pop the old one out and stuff the new one in. There really isn’t even much disassembly involved in taking the whole piston out.

They really are great. I have had mine for a year and a half. I have taken it down and re greased it one time. I don’t use it nearly as much as the op but it’s been solid. 90 percent of any issues you have are most likely going to be in that piston assembly. You don’t even have to mess with it as the whole assembly can be bought for 60 -70 bucks with orings already installed from target forge. Pop the old one out and stuff the new one in. There really isn’t even much disassembly involved in taking the whole piston out.
You are so right, but the cost of the low pressure piston seal and the high pressure polymer rings is so cheap, that the 1/2 hour it takes to disassemble and replace is trivial. I've got two years on mine, and it's never had a seal replaced and I've got extra seals laying right here new in the bag, but haven't saw the need.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I have a 5 year old GX CS2 still works great, I also have a GX CS3 that is a couple months old, Both are very dependable and work great, I have a Spritech VE3 that has had a motor failure, can't seem to find the right motor for it and not getting any answers from Spritech email...... I might make it gas powered......:p