GX CS4 Overheating issue

Is it normal for the fan to be blowing air out of the unit? I took the cover off and I think it should be pulling air into the unit and across the radiator. That is how radiators work. That may explain my overheating issue. The fan is always at 100% so its moving a lot of air and its fairly loud.

20240719_071022.jpg

I have an early model CS4. The fan on it is on 100% of the time. Check and make sure your water is circulating. There's another member on here, I don't remember who, but they had problems with water circulation. GX told him to take a long pointy object and clear the port in the bottom of the reservoir.
Hello,
There are no water circulation issues. I think the fan was installed backwards from the factory though and that is causing the overheating.

Is it normal for the fan to be blowing air out of the unit? I took the cover off and I think it should be pulling air into the unit and across the radiator. That is how radiators work. That may explain my overheating issue. The fan is always at 100% so its moving a lot of air and its fairly loud.

View attachment 480903
Mine pulls air out, so pulls air across the radiator. No overheating issues and I only use mine to top off a 97cf bottle.

Ok, thought the fan orientation might be it. GX did email back. Outside of water recirculation issues which have been ruled out, too much grease may cause the overheating. I haven't turned the grease pot since receiving the unit about a week ago. They said to pull the burst disc fitting, spring and doo-dad under that. Run it for 2 hours without a tank connected to expel excess grease. We will see if that works.

And, you wouldn't want to push heat into the unit, so it's installed correctly.
Normally you pull cooler outside air in and push/force it across the radiator. Like a car radiator. By pulling inside air across the radiator, you're actually heating the water up.

Edit: Doing further searching, maybe it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
What happens when it over heats ?
The start button turns off, and then the off button is activiated/illuminated. If I try to press start it doesn't do anything and the off button is still active. I turn the red power switch off, then back on and I can start it up again. I'm guessing its a latching type of overheat protection mechanism and needs a power reset.

The start button turns off, and then the off button is activiated/illuminated. If I try to press start it doesn't do anything and the off button is still active. I turn the red power switch off, then back on and I can start it up again. I'm guessing its a latching type of overheat protection mechanism and needs a power reset.
Oh you probably have a faulty breaker switch on the compressor or it’s actually pulling too much amps because maybe it’s over greased ? The first one probably makes more sense. My gxcs2 had the same issue . Just contact GX

Plan on it. Purged the grease, but not much came out after 2 hours. After 20 mins of use, the circulating water got to 151 deg F and the unit shutdown. I'm in communication with GX and we'll see what they say.
Yeah that seems excessive. My Omega Trail runs cold. I’ve been reading a few posts about the CS4 overheating you’re not the first