GX CS4 Overheating issue

After further clarification, this is not going well. They state "i mean disconnect the temperature sensor, if it does not happen again, you don't need to connect it anymore, our factory is planning to cancel it."

Requested exchange or return for refund. Response "it is not defective. pls test first. Temperature difference depends on different working temperature, time. "

Last edited:
Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
Is it normal for the fan to be blowing air out of the unit? I took the cover off and I think it should be pulling air into the unit and across the radiator. That is how radiators work. That may explain my overheating issue. The fan is always at 100% so its moving a lot of air and its fairly loud.
Fresh air is drawn in from the back, passes over the cylinder and motor, pulled thru the radiator, and exhausted out the front of the machine.

Do what they tell ya and disconnect the temp sensor and see what happens. If it is tripping early (lower temp), that could be an issue. But unless you KNOW what the temp of the cylinder head is, it will be harder to diagnose.

How & where are you measuring temps? What is your ambient temp?

If you check out my thread: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/2024-cs4-setup.1307075/ you'll where I measured and what temps I was getting (first set of temps had one bad sensor, replaced later on).

Best of luck chasing this down!

Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
Garage is around 75 deg F. I'm measuring the water in the reservoir with an instant read thermometer. I tried another thermometer as well with the same result.
I just disconnected the sensor. Running it now to see what happens.

Yeah, that is definitely too hot. My motor got up to 152°, but my coolant topped out around 113.2° after a 57 minute run. (Temps are Ambient, Coolant, Head, and Motor from top to bottom).

Start:
1721623040923.png

Finish:
1721623063955.png

What is the test plug/deadhead fill time?

Cold and hot numbers if possible
Plug/deadhead test:
Cold 0 to 300 bar: 24 seconds
Hot 0 to 300 bar: 24 seconds (coolant water at 150.8 deg F)

Fill from 220 bar to 300 bar in 46 minutes.

Unit does not stop running prematurely after disconnecting the temperature sensor. I'm still not happy with this halfhearted 'fix' from GX.

20240722_185407.jpg

If the motor does not sound like it's working really hard over 3500psi (goes slower)

I would flush the radiator out. Remove the water lines from both sides and run water directly through it. There's still a few other things that can be done. Some of which can get a bit complicated and I wouldn't do as you should be under warranty with GX.

What's the converter # as well if you have that available.

Your times look good and consistent.
Converter is correct and no slowing down of the compressor....Doing a full flush out with a hose may help.

If the water coming out of the bleed valve is really milky you still may have to much grease in the compressor. These compressors hate a lot of grease (I wish the grease pot was never there).

Of course, these are all guesses over the internet 🙂.

Your motor will most always be hotter than the rest of the compressor. It has very little air over it and is sealed with no way for air to get inside it past the windings and brushes, (think car alternator). I read somewhere that some had added copper coils around part of the motor and run water through the coils to aid in cooling the motor. Can't remember where I saw that though.
I have a little less than 2 hours on my CS4 and it has never gotten over 124°. I use distilled water mixed with water wetter as suggested by others. I also like most others flushed the system before the initial run.
Thx
Ray

I just got a CS4-I, and the only temp sensor I see is on the compressor. In the (terrible) video, it looks like they disconnect that at a connector I don't have, then they are holding the wire from the pressure cutoff after that. I'm not sure why they'd show the pressure cutoff disconnected. So was it just the temp sensor on top of the compressor that you disconnected? I've only run mine about 20 min so far, but I saw 140F water in the reservoir (distilled water, flushed, good flow) with an ambient of about 75F. I was planning to add an hour counter, and mount my filter to the side, but maybe I'll give it a harder workout first.

I tried a longer run, 73F ambient, clean distilled water with good flow. I started at 3500 psi in the tank, and at about 35 min I slowly bled that down some to keep from hitting the cutoff at 4500. At 44 min, it shut off, and so far can't be restarted by any form of power cycling. I guess I'll have to do some troubleshooting, but you really shouldn't have to with a brand new compressor. I haven't touched the grease pot knob, though I did unscrew the grease pot to see how much was in it. There's a good size air pocket, but I left it alone. 0-300 bar with the capped hose is 24 sec.

I had a thermocouple in the water the whole time, and noted the temps every 5 min. I don't understand how some people run around 115 max and others go over 150F. Temps below, sorry if the format is ugly.

MinutesWater temp
0​
73​
5​
92.1​
10​
113.5​
15​
127.4​
20​
136.8​
25​