GX CS4 Overheating issue

I typically top off large tanks (80 cu ft) from about 3400 to 4500, so I have to avoid the compressors that are intended for primarily filling guns. I would typically be doing 2-3 back to back. The 5 hr run time was one of the most appealing features of this little compressor.
If I were you I would use a yong heng and for the water reservoir fill up medium size chest freezer with water and a bunch of frozen pop bottles with water in them.
My yong heng will fill a 6.8L bottle 0-4500psi in a hr or less. But even in my large shop it is pretty loud.
I use one of these oil/water separators. It takes care of 99% of the moisture. Then the tiny one that comes with the compressor at the gun/bottle.
70FC316F-83E4-4C44-9031-5F8F61DA1528.png

If I were you I would use a yong heng and for the water reservoir fill up medium size chest freezer with water and a bunch of frozen pop bottles with water in them.
My yong heng will fill a 6.8L bottle 0-4500psi in a hr or less. But even in my large shop it is pretty loud.
I use one of these oil/water separators. It takes care of 99% of the moisture. Then the tiny one that comes with the compressor at the gun/bottle.
Thanks, but if the CS4-I would work as advertised, it's perfect for me. I like that it's compact, quiet, and self contained. I'd ultimately mount my high pressure dryer on the side, and add an hour meter, plus maybe a temp gauge.

Reactions: 850renxrs
I use one of these oil/water separators. It takes care of 99% of the moisture. Then the tiny one that comes with the compressor at the gun/bottle. View attachment 490035
I returned that filter immediately once I saw it had the wrong fitting. The one with the red cap on the end. I didn't want to mess with finding the right fitting.

Is it normal for the fan to be blowing air out of the unit? I took the cover off and I think it should be pulling air into the unit and across the radiator. That is how radiators work. That may explain my overheating issue. The fan is always at 100% so its moving a lot of air and its fairly loud.
I'm curious if you ever tried turning the fan around? Having the air pulled in from outside for the radiator would have to help water and compressor head temps, though the motor temps would suffer. The motor is already the hottest part but I'm not sure what the reasonable temp limit is for a motor.

Yesterday, I tried the prescribed dosage of Royal Purple Ice, and it made no difference. In fact it was just slightly worse than pure distilled water, but the ambient was a little higher so realistically it just didn't do anything. Someone mentioned running 100% Purple Ice, but I'm sure that would be worse than just using water.

Another test I did was to put a fan next to the unit, which made a huge difference even on relatively low speed. Temp was already at 150F for the water, compressor and motor, and it dropped to 122 for the water and compressor, and 130 for the motor. If I end up keeping it, upgrading the airflow will probably be the solution.

I use my GX4 in a hot
unconditioned 2nd floor of an old farm house. Filling a tank it gets hot, so once at 130dgr water temp I start cycling it. I've been thinking of one of the small bedside A/C units at Walmart for the intake. Couldn't hurt, though my wife might steal it. Don't have any issues filling guns at the range, it just the high temp upstairs filling a tank.

As with the OP, GX never responded to the PayPal case, so the purchase was refunded. It looks like they do their best to convince you that overheating is OK, and if you don't accept that they don't fight it. Anyway, I guess I'm free to experiment now. Step one will be turning the fan around to pull cool air in. Depending on how this works, I'll consider adding another fan.

Why don't you inspect the grease level in the grease pot and turn it double what it's supposed to be over a few minutes don't turn double all at once. Maybe over the course of 20 minutes. At the same time remove the burst disc setup and run it for an hour under no pressure and see how much grease works his way through the system. And put the burst disc disassembly back on and run another test checking the temperature again. Maybe yours came without adequate lubrication from the factory. If you want to go more extreme you would disassemble the crankcase and check the connecting rod bearings on small and big end. Verify there's adequate lubrication on the bearings. There was another owner of that found there was no lubrication on these parts.

Last edited:
I'm at about 4.5 hrs now, so it's within the range they say to first turn the grease pot knob. The sticker on top says to turn it 2 turns the first time, then one any time after that. I've verified that there is an air pocket like most have found, and it almost sounds like they know that based on the extra turn for the first time. I'll be curious to see what change, if anything, the grease pot turns will have on the temps. I suspect it won't make any change. The OP already did the whole run 2 hrs with the burst disc out routine with no change, so I suspect my results would be the same. I'll turn the grease pot as the manual says, and add some extra fans. I suspect the fans will keep the temps in check.

I turned the factory fan back around so it blows the hot air out of the case, and ended up adding a second fan on the rear of the case pulling cool air in. The fan I used is 120mm x 38mm and claims to be 118 CFM. I ran the compressor (with the cover on of course) 1.25 hrs and it stabilized well below the 150F limit.

Ambient temp- 73F, water- 130F, Compressor- 124F, Motor- 146F

I wonder if maybe they used different fans, and some just don't move as much air as others. I'll finish wiring it in and add an hour meter, then it should be good to go.

CS4-I 0008.jpg

CS4-I 0007.jpg

I turned the factory fan back around so it blows the hot air out of the case, and ended up adding a second fan on the rear of the case pulling cool air in. The fan I used is 120mm x 38mm and claims to be 118 CFM. I ran the compressor (with the cover on of course) 1.25 hrs and it stabilized well below the 150F limit.

Ambient temp- 73F, water- 130F, Compressor- 124F, Motor- 146F

I wonder if maybe they used different fans, and some just don't move as much air as others. I'll finish wiring it in and add an hour meter, then it should be good to go.

View attachment 493609

View attachment 493610
Ya, between Amazon or like newegg there's a lot of " better " case fans and they all give cfm specs. + There not expensive . So it's a good easy way to up the case flow