Hello, new guy from mass.

First Why 90 yards ? must be a huge barn , that 270 feet ! Welcome to the best AGN !!! #2- high dollar gun are a bit harder to sell where a middle price / good shooting gun is a bit easier. but if high $$ is what you want then go for it ! AA Huntsman Regal is very nice, it will have you popping rat heads off quickly . and it is one that sells quickly
Stan in KY.
Hi stan
thanks for your reply, i think you might of saved me a $grand. the rats are on the outside of the shed/barn alongside the stone wall below the barn, my daughter freaks so she won't use the loft as a studio until i get rid of the rats, i got rid of all the chicken cages and feed so i guess the rats will eventually move on to better feeding options, Oh well. that daystate rifle has awesome reviews, should i go with 22 cal or higher cal for the distance. it is half the price of the FX King and i have the awesome nexus to put on it. the main reason i was looking at the king was the distance it will shoot with slugs, I'm new to PCPs so i thought pellets were only good for 50 yard's. do you have that rifle?
Thanks for the info, this forum is awesome.

I have seen quite a few UK pest shooters bring a chair and sit down behind the tripod.
I for one are all for that CUZ i am old, decrepit and more lazy than i have ever been.
Also why in our new shot shed, the seating behind the benches are a nice padded office chair and a padded bar stool.
I do need that CUZ when i really shoot for hours on end, well even sitting on a pillow my old wrinkly ass get sore, and force me to take a break now and then.

Chairs.jpg

As i undersand it, your presence are rarely the biggest of problems with the rats.

I have also heard about the peanutbutter bait, my friend also tried that on traps, but he cant say for sure it is better than other things he will use.

I do think white light will freak out the rats, but the green or red they seem to have more problems detecting.

yes peanut butter is the best , just smear in a piece of wood so they cant drag the bate away . might want to wear gloves so no human trace .
ok i will try that, !!
row a boat closer ? then you only have to shoot from a rocking boat , Joking here .
ha ha ha, yea i would try that, but it is all overgrown with nasty critters.

Reactions: beerthief
I have seen quite a few UK pest shooters bring a chair and sit down behind the tripod.
I for one are all for that CUZ i am old, decrepit and more lazy than i have ever been.
Also why in our new shot shed, the seating behind the benches are a nice padded office chair and a padded bar stool.
I do need that CUZ when i really shoot for hours on end, well even sitting on a pillow my old wrinkly ass get sore, and force me to take a break now and then.

View attachment 481469

As i undersand it, your presence are rarely the biggest of problems with the rats.

I have also heard about the peanutbutter bait, my friend also tried that on traps, but he cant say for sure it is better than other things he will use.

I do think white light will freak out the rats, but the green or red they seem to have more problems detecting.
Thanks again peashooter, i like your setup. I tried the traps all i got was chipmonks and mice. local Pest control wanted 500 bucks. i will try the different color lens on the light.

Reactions: Peashooter
I do not have a Huntsman ,but i have shot a few and i find it pure pleasure to shoot . I do keep looking at them but then i say "you (I) have too many PCP's already " then i say "I want one " . Also i am a lefty so at least $100 more for the lefty.
I haven't even had my 22 revere for 2 weeks and already bought a 25 cal regal. Awesome guns, worth having one... or 2!

Hello, new guy from Mass. been around air guns for ages but i have been impressed by
PCPs, wow have they come a long way. I got a Hatsan QE 22 cal from my neighbor who moved to an elderly complex and could not take it with him. I'm an old springer guy
but gave them up because of shoulder trouble. now i fill my tank with a scuba tank my son gave me. was hoping to get some info on a new rifle to shoot barn rats at 90 yards the QE just scares them away and my granddaughter won't use the barn as a studio until i do. I'm looking at the FX King 600 in 25 cal with a Nexus 5-20x50, would i use pellets or slugs for the best results. I would like head shots don't like suffering. any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks the old goat.
welcome aboard, and in a barn with little to no wind pellets should do nicely.

I would construct a little shooting shack and cut the distance in half. A 100 ft ext cord would bring power from the house. Put the door on the side facing your approach, and a shooting window on the Target side. Give the critters a few days to seeing it prior to use. Much cheaper than a $1000 rifle!
Thanks for your reply chief, even with a 50 foot cord it will blow a fuse. the farm house is in maine and was was built in 1905 she still has glass fusses in the main panel. I hope to put in a 200 amp panel for her next year. The house is a handyman's fixer for sure.

Thanks for your reply chief, even with a 50 foot cord it will blow a fuse. the farm house is in maine and was was built in 1905 she still has glass fusses in the main panel. I hope to put in a 200 amp panel for her next year. The house is a handyman's fixer for sure.
Gotta work with what you have. Got it.

Reactions: old goat
I do not have a Huntsman ,but i have shot a few and i find it pure pleasure to shoot . I do keep looking at them but then i say "you (I) have too many PCP's already " then i say "I want one " . Also i am a lefty so at least $100 more for the lefty.
Hi again
beyond the barn about 30 yards is where the farmer dumped animal crap, my daughter wants to have a vegetable garden, but there are huge woodchuck's all around, my experience with them is they will wipe out the garden. i could pick them off from the barn window but was wondering if i could get them from the main house for a total of about 130 yards with that rifle. I take some reviews with a grain of salt. so i wonder if it is a stretch for the rifle.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
maybe a flashlight with the red filter shining on the bate area ? you can buy the filter lens for flashlights . yes you would have to go out early and set the light up , bummer .
wow you turned on the way back machine, we used to get worms with our multi lens boy scout flashlight's with the red lens!! Thanks for the memories!!!