Hello, new guy from mass.

Hi again
beyond the barn about 30 yards is where the farmer dumped animal crap, my daughter wants to have a vegetable garden, but there are huge woodchuck's all around, my experience with them is they will wipe out the garden. i could pick them off from the barn window but was wondering if i could get them from the main house for a total of about 130 yards with that rifle. I take some reviews with a grain of salt. so i wonder if it is a stretch for the rifle.
Sounds like a pesters paradise. Fly me up and I'll take care it for ya!

Hi again
beyond the barn about 30 yards is where the farmer dumped animal crap, my daughter wants to have a vegetable garden, but there are huge woodchuck's all around, my experience with them is they will wipe out the garden. i could pick them off from the barn window but was wondering if i could get them from the main house for a total of about 130 yards with that rifle. I take some reviews with a grain of salt. so i wonder if it is a stretch for the rifle.
A kill shot would be iffy in my opinion from the house 130 yards for a woodchuck . Personally i would not take a shot over 50 yards an a animal that size to easy to just wound and it would die later maybe .

Hello, new guy from Mass. been around air guns for ages but i have been impressed by
PCPs, wow have they come a long way. I got a Hatsan QE 22 cal from my neighbor who moved to an elderly complex and could not take it with him. I'm an old springer guy
but gave them up because of shoulder trouble. now i fill my tank with a scuba tank my son gave me. was hoping to get some info on a new rifle to shoot barn rats at 90 yards the QE just scares them away and my granddaughter won't use the barn as a studio until i do. I'm looking at the FX King 600 in 25 cal with a Nexus 5-20x50, would i use pellets or slugs for the best results. I would like head shots don't like suffering. any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks the old goat.
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole®, I've got some questions WHY 90 yards? Why .25 for rats? There are a ton of rat videos in the hunting forum, you might want to ask them what they use. A smaller bore is quieter with a good moderator and will take out a rat. Now ground squirrels, they require at least a 30 cal, at least in CA, darn things wear body armor.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole®, I've got some questions WHY 90 yards? Why .25 for rats? There are a ton of rat videos in the hunting forum, you might want to ask them what they use. A smaller bore is quieter with a good moderator and will take out a rat. Now ground squirrels, they require at least a 30 cal, at least in CA, darn things wear body armor.
Hello Hogkiller
Thanks for the reply, 90 yard's is the distance from the back porch to the barn. the road to the barn is a right of way shared by other neighbors to the left
of my daughters place, just picture a horse shoe with the road running where you would put your hand and the barn and house at the ends and in the middle an old overgrown pond that's quite nasty to go through. too many trees and bushes to shoot from the road. the porch is perfect. there is an old stone wall that runs
below the barn' that's where they come out at dusk. perfect shooting. On advice from other members i will bait the stones so i can get a shot while their still.
I'm still open for cal. that will do the job. thanks for letting me know about the hunting section i did not see that.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong. Are you saying I'm composted crap?
hello Dr. the crap is from the animal's that used to be on the farm my daughter bought. it must be good fertilizer even weeds are 6ft. tall
she wants to put in a garden but the place is a heaven for woodchucks. now i got to worry about how to get rid of them. Oh well she is my only Child.

hello Dr. the crap is from the animal's that used to be on the farm my daughter bought. it must be good fertilizer even weeds are 6ft. tall
she wants to put in a garden but the place is a heaven for woodchucks. now i got to worry about how to get rid of them. Oh well she is my only Child.
They're skiddish, so you gotta watch where they go and wait for them to pop back up. It's basically like any undergroud rodent. Gotta play whack a mole.

Hello Hogkiller
Thanks for the reply, 90 yard's is the distance from the back porch to the barn. the road to the barn is a right of way shared by other neighbors to the left
of my daughters place, just picture a horse shoe with the road running where you would put your hand and the barn and house at the ends and in the middle an old overgrown pond that's quite nasty to go through. too many trees and bushes to shoot from the road. the porch is perfect. there is an old stone wall that runs
below the barn' that's where they come out at dusk. perfect shooting. On advice from other members i will bait the stones so i can get a shot while their still.
I'm still open for cal. that will do the job. thanks for letting me know about the hunting section i did not see that.
Well, if you toss in woodchucks then .25. Just remember any breeze and those pellets move, I'd say slugs but that is a branch of the Rabbit Hole® that has been the ruin of many a poor boy. They got poor by trying to shoot slugs. Find out what they (rats) like to eat, there is a cool discussion of that on the Hunting forum. Looks like you'll be in for some expensive night vision gear, because you're at a pretty fixed distance a Arken Zulus might work for you, discussion on them around here too.

Well, if you toss in woodchucks then .25. Just remember any breeze and those pellets move, I'd say slugs but that is a branch of the Rabbit Hole® that has been the ruin of many a poor boy. They got poor by trying to shoot slugs. Find out what they (rats) like to eat, there is a cool discussion of that on the Hunting forum. Looks like you'll be in for some expensive night vision gear, because you're at a pretty fixed distance a Arken Zulus might work for you, discussion on them around here too.
yea, I'm leaning more to the 25. thanks for your advice.

I do have a ruger 10/22 but that would freak out the new neighbors.
If a lousy .22 freaks them out then a .17 will definitely liven up the action. I LOVE the .17 HMR, it's a laser out to 125 yards and destroys what it hits. They can be toned down a touch with a can. Sadly I had to stop using it and switch to PCP's at my permission (50 - 125 yards), darn expensive ground squirrels... :LOL:

Reactions: old goat