Help date this Silver Streak..turns out it's a Supergrade!!

Picked up this old (I'm assuming) silver streak at a pawn shop yesterday. Had one as a kid and thought it would be fun to shoot with my kids. Can figure out when it was made. The safety looks wrong for the early ones. I can't even find reference to a safety like this on a silver streak. Anyone have any idea? Is it a Frankenstein cobbled together? I can't even find a caliber o it. Any help would be appreciated.
1545484692_4336474625c1e39945247b4.32012925_20181221_220303.jpg
1545484732_17260918025c1e39bc52f213.64859618_20181221_220313.jpg
1545484804_8742185245c1e3a04c3a764.38419976_15454847434308861591110356919065.jpg

That's one hell of a find at a pawn shop!!!

That's a super grade the original Sheridan and its .20 caliber...cant see the stock in the pics very well but it looks like the B grade and in working order it's probably worth upwards of a grand or more....I see its missing the rear sight and parts might be a little hard to find but not impossible. Not exactly sure of the dates but I think it's from the 1950s.

James from Michigan, 

You can put it up here on the classifieds as a want to trade (WTT) and you will no doubt get offers of trade guns worth much more than you paid for it, and far better suited for hunting. There are several very honest collectors here. It would get you what you are looking for and put the gun where it belongs. I am not a collector of airguns but many would cringe at the thought of a collectible being dragged about in the woods.

.... there's a peep sight that goes to the rear in that black bracket...the little switch at the rear of the bolt is the safety... contact tim at mac1 airguns (as mentioned)...he could probably swap you 2-3 steroid sheridans with scopes - that way you and your boys would all have their own...as far as someone cobbling one of these together.....idk.... i guess everyone's a peach cobbler in these parts... those were increadibly well made. back in 1948-49 when they became available, they were $69....the regular sheridan bluestreak was $19...i understand that most folks just bought 22lr guns for less than the $69 back then. some guys got together and tried to buy sheridan - i guess around the time crosman bought them and commenced to weakening the product (sheridan is all of a stupid cocker bb rifle now) ... these guys looked into producing the super grade rifles and after seeing that they were gonna have to sell around $3K each , they abandoned hope. this one sold on gunbroker for $1100 very quickly in 2015 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uIok0ziQ20

You can put it up here on the classifieds as a want to trade (WTT) and you will no doubt get offers of trade guns worth much more than you paid for it, and far better suited for hunting.

I agree with Lewis. Let this piece of history go to someone else. Maybe do a WTT with cash? You can get $ out of it as well as a rifle more suited to what you were looking for. I've had a similar situation happen to me (although not an airgun) where I was looking for a junker and ended up with something really special. Best thing to do is sell it. Otherwise, you might find yourself avoiding using it now that you know what it is. 

Nice find!! 

Tom

...i agree with tom.... you can see how gently i'm handling that one in the utube vid...here's some data :

MODEL A SUPER GRADE 

- .20 cal. (first specimen of the Model A may be .22 cal.), multiple stroke forearm pneumatic, blue finish, walnut half stock with raised cheek piece, aluminum receiver, peep sights, 20.15 in. barrel, 700 FPS. Approx. 2,130 mfg. 1947-1953. Ref: AR 1 (1997): pp. 41-42.

SheridanRifleModelASuperGradeBBA1B36.jpg

Serial numbers on this model were not consecutive, up to about no. 4000 have been observed. Early production had a long handle and felt lined forend. Later production had short handle and no felt lining.

I could well be wrong but was thinking total production was 2130 ? You might pop on the vintage forum and see if it can be really nailed down, someone might have upraded ( replaced a broken one with then current inventory as was the practice).

I vote find period sights and Frog hunt for years to come while properly caring for it and it shouldnt be worth any less.

John

Apparently I am doing something wrong as it wont let me post this thing to the classifieds.

if I remember correctly, it may take a few hours to a day for the system to recognize your number of posts.

I too once, through wheeling and dealing acquired a first run taurus pt99-afss pearlescent stainless. I bought a late 80's pop-up palomino camper from a friend for $160, used it for a season. then did an even trade for a zastava n-pap ak47 with an IR scope.

sold the IR scope. then after fitting the zastava with a houge over mold grip/forearm, a utg 6 position ar stock with custom adapter, ggg vertical fore grip and bsa rbg 40mm sight. ($150 total, which is what I sold the IR scope for) I made the trade for the safe queen pt99+cash.

traded it for a walther sr-22, jhp.45acp, hp-c9, ja-9, and a precision 10/22.

so hang in there and wait for the right offer/ consider a few offers. dont just jump at the first deal.

I could well be wrong but was thinking total production was 2130 ? You might pop on the vintage forum and see if it can be really nailed down, someone might have upraded ( replaced a broken one with then current inventory as was the practice).

I vote find period sights and Frog hunt for years to come while properly caring for it and it shouldnt be worth any less.

John

I read that production was 2310...but serial didnt run consecutive. They mixed them in with the run of model B guns. If I could find a period peep I might do just that. I have never had a gun that I was afraid to shoot because I generally take very good care of my equipment....but now knowing what it is I would hate to see my autistic 6 year old drop it in the mud :)

Apparently I am doing something wrong as it wont let me post this thing to the classifieds.

if I remember correctly, it may take a few hours to a day for the system to recognize your number of posts.

I too once, through wheeling and dealing acquired a first run taurus pt99-afss pearlescent stainless. I bought a late 80's pop-up palomino camper from a friend for $160, used it for a season. then did an even trade for a zastava n-pap ak47 with an IR scope.

sold the IR scope. then after fitting the zastava with a houge over mold grip/forearm, a utg 6 position ar stock with custom adapter, ggg vertical fore grip and bsa rbg 40mm sight. ($150 total, which is what I sold the IR scope for) I made the trade for the safe queen pt99+cash.

traded it for a walther sr-22, jhp.45acp, hp-c9, ja-9, and a precision 10/22.

so hang in there and wait for the right offer/ consider a few offers. dont just jump at the first deal.

I definitely wont jump at the first offer...unless it's exactly what I'm looking for. Cool story on the Taurus.