Help me figure out this air loss?

I've done fine before, but today I must be doing something wrong pumping up my Marauder pistol with my hand pump. I pump to 3000 PSI, unscrew the bleed valve on my pump ... and not only does the PSI start to fall on the pump's gauge, but also on the pistol's ... and sure enough, the pistol is all out of air pretty quickly. What's going on here, please?

Just happened for the second time in a row. I didn't disconnect the pump yet or bleed out the air entirely. Stopped at about 2400.

You need to first cock the gun before filling or right now if it isn't and then unscrew that bleed nut 10x quicker. Probably dilly-dally casually unscrewing that nut so the P-Rod valve won't even close and all the air pisses out. THATS TOTALLY NORMAL IF YOU JUST TOO SLOW GET A MOVE ON. Even with a tank that can and will happen unscrewing that bleeder too slowly and not cocking the gun.

You need to first cock the gun before filling or right now if it isn't and then unscrew that bleed nut 10x quicker. Probably dilly-dally casually unscrewing that nut so the P-Rod valve won't even close and all the air pisses out. THATS TOTALLY NORMAL IF YOU JUST TOO SLOW GET A MOVE ON. Even with a tank that can and will happen unscrewing that bleeder too slowly and not cocking the gun.

Thanks! I did as you said and didn't lose air this time. Much appreciated! I was indeed unscrewing the valve VERY slow.

how did it go? did you open that bleed valve FAST to seat the check valve, like YO said? if that did not work did you replace the o-ring like Nervoustrig said

those are the 2 main causes for your problem

Yo's solution worked instantly, thanks. No idea why I started unscrewing the bleed valve so slowly ... guess it's just me being instinctively cautious.

I love this forum! People are so helpful here. It's a long way from the days when a pellet gun was a pellet gun and everything about at least the basics would be obvious even to a six-year-old. There's an actual learning curve with PCP's and it starts right away!