Help me pick a quality air rifle (new member)

Hey, new guy here from Texas. I'm new to this forum but am on a couple other fishing and hunting forums. I need help choosing which pellet gun/air rifle to get. I've got an old school Benjamin and Crossman pump but I need something more powerful and with more range. I dont know anything about the higher end air rifles so really hoping yall can help me out.

I need it to be able to take coons, possums, armadillos, squirrels and possibly (??) coyotes. I live on about 8 acres and have a deer feeder at the back on a creek. I don't hunt these deer, we just like having them around. The coons are robbing my corn every night. I do trap some but dont like having to walk down there in the morning before work to dispatch them. I also see coyotes from time to time and had to run a couple of them off from my chicken coop up near the house last week. A .22 rimfire is not an option because of neighbors on one side of me, and the .22 low velo rounds dont have enough range.

I'm sure there are a bunch of options and no "one size fits all", but can yall recommend some air rifles for me to look into that would suit my needs? I'd prefer something simple, accurate out to at least 50 yds, easy to use and not too bulky. Repeatable rather than single shot although not a deal breaker. I'll probably mount my Sightmark Wraith Mini to this gun so I can hunt the coons at night with my kids. Not really sure on budget but I'll spend some money on a cool new toy.... ; ) Let's say keep it under $1k. Also if it makes a difference, I'd rather have too much gun and not need it rather than the other way around.

Thanks in advance for any help!

22lr subs have plenty of range and maintain enough energy and accuracy (gun/shooter dependent?) past 100yds for ethical headshots on coyotes. Im only bringing this up because for $1000 you really aren't going to get much better performance than that. Between the gun and a charging source you're realistically closer to $1500 for something that packs any significant punch greater than 22lr. Add on a moderator to keep it quiet and you're probably closer to $1700.

Are you talking $1K just for the gun and nothing else?

If so there are a few options that you may be able to find in the classified section. A well placed 22 slug will do the coyote just fine, but I personally like to use a 25's on coyotes up here in ND. Have 7 of them so far this year with the furthest at 80 yards with the old Theoben MK2. She is a beast of a rifle but works great. Also been playing with a .25 crown with slugs and it looks to be nasty on critters.

Check out the Effecto 20% off Black Friday sale. That and a hand pump, would get you going. For under $1000. I’ve had a chance to shoot the Zeon .25 and really liked it. It’s got a nice light trigger and the gun feels really well built. The tank is 300cc so hand pumping isn’t going to be to bad.

Last edited:
@GalvestonWader The following thread contains information, ideas, prices, and real-world experiences of AGN members with a variety of airguns, some of which may fit the bulk of your bill.

Last edited:
What you really need is a PCP, and a stout one imo. That also means you need a way to supply it with air. Most decent air options are going to eat up your budget before you can even think about a PCP. Low end hunting PCP's that can ethically take down a coyote at 50yds start at about $400 after shipping/tax. I would get an AEA Challenger Standard Bullpup 30 cal with the 32" barrel specifically. It makes 160-220FPE and will but quiet enough for your situation. It runs about $500. That leaves you $500 for a compressor and scope/rings. Not really enough. You can also get an air tank and have that filled if you have a local place but that gets old really fast when using a lot of air. There are cheap Amazon/Ebay compressors that can last you a while, some people have had great success with them (others not!). Yong Heng, GX, Tuxor, Vevor, 4500psi options. Cheapest scope I would recommend would be something like a Hawke or Athalon Talos.

First of all welcome to the club! Hope you stick around. From what you're describing as your intended use 50+ yard range hunting up to mid size critters I would recommend a 25 cal PCP capable of shooting slugs. 25 cal since it won't use as much air as big bore airguns and slugs/pellets are more readiily available and lower price, also better selection. Can use the slugs for more power at 100 yards and a bit longer ranges while pellets will be fine at 50 yards in. Adjustable power would also be a plus.

Sorry about not making specific make/model recommendation but I thought offering some guidelines would be helpful in your search. Good luck and welcome again. Regards

Reactions: jps2486
Thank yall for the replies so far. Let me clarify a couple things. The $1k budget I posted is for gun only. I'd like to stay close to that but can fudge a little if needed. Just wanted to throw a round number out there. I've already got numerous options for optics so that part is out of the equation.

In the brief research I have done the PCP guns seem to be what I need. What am I looking to spend for an adequate compressor? Is there another cheaper option like a large bottle I can keep in the garage to do multiple fills? I do live in a populated area with dive shops and probably paint ball shops around so that might be an option also. Although that seems like a hassle getting my gun filled all the time.

I am not opposed to buying used from the classifieds. Yall please alert me if a deal pops up, as I dont really know what I'm looking for.

I prefer a more traditional style looking gun rather than some of the darth vader looking stuff I've seen lol. Not a deal breaker, just personal preference. Also I am left handed so would need something that is not strictly a RH gun only. Bolt action on the right side doesn't bother me but any thumb hole stock for RH only obviously wouldnt work.

Looking online at airgundepot last night and came across a couple that caught my eye. The Seneca Eagle Claw and the Hatson Galatian QE. Both under $1k and both send .25 rounds at over 950 FPS.

I can see where this could be a very addicting hobby, and I dont have time to fully immerse myself into another hobby right now. I've got 2 kids both in multiple sports and our free time is spent hunting and fishing and riding motorcycles. Normally I would do hours and hours of research before a purchase like this but again, I just dont have the time right now. Hopefully the knowledge and advice that yall have can get me into a good quality setup that will suit my needs.

Thank yall for the replies so far. Let me clarify a couple things. The $1k budget I posted is for gun only. I'd like to stay close to that but can fudge a little if needed. Just wanted to throw a round number out there. I've already got numerous options for optics so that part is out of the equation.

In the brief research I have done the PCP guns seem to be what I need. What am I looking to spend for an adequate compressor? Is there another cheaper option like a large bottle I can keep in the garage to do multiple fills? I do live in a populated area with dive shops and probably paint ball shops around so that might be an option also. Although that seems like a hassle getting my gun filled all the time.

I am not opposed to buying used from the classifieds. Yall please alert me if a deal pops up, as I dont really know what I'm looking for.

I prefer a more traditional style looking gun rather than some of the darth vader looking stuff I've seen lol. Not a deal breaker, just personal preference. Also I am left handed so would need something that is not strictly a RH gun only. Bolt action on the right side doesn't bother me but any thumb hole stock for RH only obviously wouldnt work.

Looking online at airgundepot last night and came across a couple that caught my eye. The Seneca Eagle Claw and the Hatson Galatian QE. Both under $1k and both send .25 rounds at over 950 FPS.

I can see where this could be a very addicting hobby, and I dont have time to fully immerse myself into another hobby right now. I've got 2 kids both in multiple sports and our free time is spent hunting and fishing and riding motorcycles. Normally I would do hours and hours of research before a purchase like this but again, I just dont have the time right now. Hopefully the knowledge and advice that yall have can get me into a good quality setup that will suit my needs.
I'm actually a little confused by your original post now. If 22lr doesn't have the range you are looking for, a .25 cal Hatsan absolutely will not be any better. Yes I saw the part about 50yds but that just made me more confused because 22lr is absolutely capable at that range and with a silencer dead quiet. Now as far as quality goes as stated in the title, Hatsan and AEA aren't it. Those are both basically budget friendly, pray you got a good one, brands.

Anyway, is it safe to say you just want to get in on a new hobby as cheap as possible? That is 100% understandable.

I'm actually a little confused by your original post now. If 22lr doesn't have the range you are looking for, a .25 cal Hatsan absolutely will not be any better. Yes I saw the part about 50yds but that just made me more confused because 22lr is absolutely capable at that range and with a silencer dead quiet. Now as far as quality goes as stated in the title, Hatsan and AEA aren't it. Those are both basically budget friendly, pray you got a good one, brands.

Anyway, is it safe to say you just want to get in on a new hobby as cheap as possible? That is 100% understandable.

The .22 LR has plenty of range but is just too loud. That's why I am wanting to go the air rifle route, to keep the noise down a bit (and get a new toy). And the .22 subs dont have near the range/performance as regular .22 rounds. Dont the subs shoot like 700 FPS? Maybe I should just stick with a .22 and get a silencer for standard rounds? The 50 yds range was just a bare minimum estimate. I'd actually prefer more but didnt know what these air rifles are capable of.

And no, I am not looking to get into the hobby as cheap as possible. I dont like cheap stuff and dont own anything cheap. I'm willing to spend some money to get good quality. The 2 guns I mentioned were just a couple that I liked the performance numbers on. I know nothing about them so I'm glad you commented on it. I will mark them off the list.

Bear with me please. I may be asking some dumb questions or using the wrong words because I'm completely new to this. Really hoping yall can coach me along the learning curve and use your experience to help me end up with something I am happy with.

The .22 LR has plenty of range but is just too loud. That's why I am wanting to go the air rifle route, to keep the noise down a bit (and get a new toy). And the .22 subs dont have near the range/performance as regular .22 rounds. Dont the subs shoot like 700 FPS? Maybe I should just stick with a .22 and get a silencer for standard rounds? The 50 yds range was just a bare minimum estimate. I'd actually prefer more but didnt know what these air rifles are capable of.

And no, I am not looking to get into the hobby as cheap as possible. I dont like cheap stuff and dont own anything cheap. I'm willing to spend some money to get good quality. The 2 guns I mentioned were just a couple that I liked the performance numbers on. I know nothing about them so I'm glad you commented on it. I will mark them off the list.

Bear with me please. I may be asking some dumb questions or using the wrong words because I'm completely new to this. Really hoping yall can coach me along the learning curve and use your experience to help me end up with something I am happy with.
No you're good man. I wasn't trying to come across as condescending, I was legitimately confused by the 22lr portion. 22lr subs are typically around 1050fps and at 40gr will give you better ballistics than many slug shooting air rifles. I shoot 22lr relatively long range for fun and believe it or not, does still group at 385m suprisingly well. I can actually put it on our 500m silhouettes more often than not on good days. Dont get me wrong, it isn't hunting capable at those ranges I was just trying to give an idea of range potential. 100yds is well within it!

As far as airguns go I would look at the Texan LSS in .257, 30, or 35. It you want smack down and range, its hard to beat them. As far as a compressor goes, my Yong Heng was like $300 and over 3yrs old now and still going strong.

Reactions: Smitty911
No you're good man. I wasn't trying to come across as condescending, I was legitimately confused by the 22lr portion. 22lr subs are typically around 1050fps and at 40gr will give you better ballistics than many slug shooting air rifles. I shoot 22lr relatively long range for fun and believe it or not, does still group at 385m suprisingly well. I can actually put it on our 500m silhouettes more often than not on good days. Dont get me wrong, it isn't hunting capable at those ranges I was just trying to give an idea of range potential. 100yds is well within it!

As far as airguns go I would look at the Texan LSS in .257, 30, or 35. It you want smack down and range, its hard to beat them. As far as a compressor goes, my Yong Heng was like $300 and over 3yrs old now and still going strong.
Ok maybe I was way off base here. I went to Academy last week and got these. https://www.academy.com/p/cci®-cb-22-short-29-grain-ammunition-100-rounds

It was the only low velo rounds they had so I figured all of them were like that at only 710 FPS. And they are shorts so they wouldnt cycle through my semi autos. That's what got me thinking about an air rifle. Geez I feel kinda dumb. Just now looked online and dint even know they made 22 subs full length that do 1050 FPS. This may be a major thread fail....

Still wanting an air rifle though. Ha!

Ok maybe I was way off base here. I went to Academy last week and got these. https://www.academy.com/p/cci®-cb-22-short-29-grain-ammunition-100-rounds

It was the only low velo rounds they had so I figured all of them were like that at only 710 FPS. And they are shorts so they wouldnt cycle through my semi autos. That's what got me thinking about an air rifle. Geez I feel kinda dumb. Just now looked online and dint even know they made 22 subs full length that do 1050 FPS. This may be a major thread fail....

Still wanting an air rifle though. Ha!
I'm glad you still want an air rifle I was afraid I was talking you out of it. They really are great especially around the house/yard for tasks that rimfire is too much for.

As far as ammo goes, those are 22 shorts which is basically a low powered 22 special. While they still do have decent range they are nowhere near as capable as 22lr. Look at CCI 40gr Standard Velocity or the 40gr Hollow Points. Over double the muzzle energy as those shorts you linked and even more than double down range where it matters.