Homemade PCP receiver

Been super busy lately but managed to steal a bit of time to make the barrel shroud mounts (still have to set up the rotary table in the mill so that I can drill set screw holes, 60 degrees apart). I got the 20mm OD CF tube off Amazon for 30 bucks for 2 pieces, luckily a buddy wanted a piece as well which is sweet so I only pay 15 bucks for the piece that I want. I like the matt look of this particular tube, less bling than the shiny stuff. Should be able to test fit the gun here pretty soon.

tempImageu7iTyX.jpg

tempImageDyj42Y.jpg

You're say you're lazy, but you're going to set up a rotab just to index a round part in 60* increments? Get thee some collet blocks and/or a spin indexer! Money well spent for the lazy!

GsT
OHHH wait & thee shall see,
Just how lazy I can be!
To be concise:
Rotab straight into vise!

Rotab.jpg

Reactions: GeneT and SouthPCP
The tube for the stock came in. Also got a donation stock from a buddy: he had two, one with a straight comb & this one with height adjustable cheek piece. Nice to have some adjustability! Did a quick test fit, unfortunately the castle nut & lock plate haven't come in yet so I can't secure the stock in place but it's good enough to get a feeling for where things are at:

Stock fit.jpg

Alright, not what I expected. My rotab is a 10", and in excess of 100#. That's pretty slick, and I applaud your "laziness"!

GsT
Haha yeah that little sucker is real handy. Love the digital readout. When I make small parts I use that set up & start with round bar & just hog away. Much easier than making fixtures or figuring out how I'm going to machine something on one side, then flip it over & clamp it to do the other side or sides. I can also tilt it forward & backwards in the vise with the help of an inclinometer to machine angles. I've made complete iron sights like this, start to finish. Laziness!

Reactions: Rich_B
I had a spare hour this afternoon to do some more work on the receiver. I cut a slot between bolt port & the solenoid/hammer port so that the solenoid is cocked by the bolt (I'm not planning on using a spring to return the solenoid). I also cut a window on the side of the receiver so that I can see what the hammer is up to, I intend making the launch-from position adjustable. This receiver is getting busier & busier. I also drilled a hole for the solenoid wires: I'll handle most of the electronics outside the gun while I figure things out, once I have something that works I'll figure out a way to get everything in the gun (or on top of? Clamshell?:LOL:)
Barrel is together & looks pretty slick, to me anyways:

Back of receiver 1.jpg

Back of receiver 2.jpg

Barrel 1.jpg

I don’t use a spring for positioning my solenoid hammer either but I do hold it back with a small magnet with a cushion to absorb the energy the hammer has coming backwards due to closing force of the valve. But my solenoid at present moves very little and the small magnet can actually pull the hammer back this distance even if it bounces off my cushion.

I think you will find in your case, a spring will give you some more flexibility on setting the starting point of your hammer but you may be doing something a bit different than I’m imagining.

Thanks for the progress report!

Dave

I don’t use a spring for positioning my solenoid hammer either but I do hold it back with a small magnet with a cushion to absorb the energy the hammer has coming backwards due to closing force of the valve. But my solenoid at present moves very little and the small magnet can actually pull the hammer back this distance even if it bounces off my cushion.

I think you will find in your case, a spring will give you some more flexibility on setting the starting point of your hammer but you may be doing something a bit different than I’m imagining.

Thanks for the progress report!

Dave
Hahaha I am also planning on holding the hammer back with a magnet! That's why I have the window on the side, I'm going to have the magnet position adjustable so that I can have different start-from positions, the window will have graduations on it.

I had a little time today so I decided to tumble the receiver, then powder coat it (the tumbling removed all the burrs & roughed up the surfaces for the powder to stick better). I chose a satin black which looks quite cool, in my opinion. Also turned a bolt handle, using el cheapo knurling tool which I apparently haven't mastered yet (or it's a junk tool!). Next up is some sort of accessory rail to go under the bottle so I can rest the gun on a bag or maybe a bipod or something; more figuring out to do. I may also test assemble tomorrow, time permitting.

Powder coat 1.jpg

Powder coat 2.jpg

Powder coat 3.jpg

Powder coat 4.jpg

Bolt handle 1.jpg

I had a little time today so I decided to tumble the receiver, then powder coat it (the tumbling removed all the burrs & roughed up the surfaces for the powder to stick better). I chose a satin black which looks quite cool, in my opinion. Also turned a bolt handle, using el cheapo knurling tool which I apparently haven't mastered yet (or it's a junk tool!). Next up is some sort of accessory rail to go under the bottle so I can rest the gun on a bag or maybe a bipod or something; more figuring out to do. I may also test assemble tomorrow, time permitting.

View attachment 494604

View attachment 494605

View attachment 494606

View attachment 494607

View attachment 494608
Hello @bsahogger

That looks so good, cannot wait to see the final product (y) (y) (y)

ThomasT

Reactions: Ranchibi
Ok got the test assembly done. It's starting to look like a gun now so I'm going to call it the XGPF177 from now on: Experimental Gun Pellet Firing 177cal:

View attachment 494739

View attachment 494740

View attachment 494742
Hello @bsahogger

OK, now that is just way too cool looking, WAY TOO COOL (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
As soon as you complete a .22 cal model, I will be glad to do all the test shooting ( and at no charge ) 😁.
Please keep us up to date on all your testing, lots of photos.
ThomasT

Reactions: Dairyboy