Homemade PCP receiver

"Caution: I am not a machinist by any standards!"

Hogger, as a 40-year veteran of the machinist trade it is my pleasure to correct you on the above statement - You are a machinist, Sir!

At this time I'd like to bestow on you the official Machinist Badge 🫡

Machinist_Argue.png

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT and Rich_B
"Caution: I am not a machinist by any standards!"

Hogger, as a 40-year veteran of the machinist trade it is my pleasure to correct you on the above statement - You are a machinist, Sir!

At this time I'd like to bestow on you the official Machinist Badge 🫡

View attachment 494785
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Looking good! If you have a cheap knurling tool, it's likely the knurls themselves (the cutting wheels) are the problem. Buy a good set (McMaster, MSC,...) and it'll really improve things.

Great thread, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

I think you should call it "Impact 5"... ;-)

GsT
(y)(y)(y)

May I add another tip? I’m going to anyway.! I don’t know if you are aware of this. When mailing slots, anything like a keyway, or you bolt action slot.. Use a two flute end mill. It cuts a cleaner slot. That’s why they are sometimes called slot mills. Most have never heard them referred to as such, these days. Even A three flute can cut a cleaner slot than a four flute.

May I add another tip? I’m going to anyway.! I don’t know if you are aware of this. When mailing slots, anything like a keyway, or you bolt action slot.. Use a two flute end mill. It cuts a cleaner slot. That’s why they are sometimes called slot mills. Most have never heard them referred to as such, these days. Even A three flute can cut a cleaner slot than a four flute.
I always wish I lived closer to you, then I'd have someone to help me with this stuff!!!

A four flute end mill in a slot, can start deflecting one way and the other. Now you are climb milling, and then conventional mailing back-and-forth on the sides of the slot. Oscillating.
A two flute doesn’t have such tendency. It can leave a smoother and more accurate slot.
A two flute handles aluminum better anyway, because of its ability to handle the chip load.

Reactions: bsahogger
A four flute end mill in a slot, can start deflecting one way and the other. Now you are climb milling, and then conventional mailing back-and-forth on the sides of the slot. Oscillating.
A two flute doesn’t have such tendency. It can leave a smoother and more accurate slot.
A two flute handles aluminum better anyway, because of its ability to handle the chip load.
Better still to use an endmill that is less than slot width and finish to dimension.

GsT

End mills with 3 or more flutes are finishing tools (walls)
2-flute HSS EMs work great for ruffing aluminum. They even do a decent job finishing walls as long as the surface isn't too fussy and your tool is still sharp after ruffing.
2-flute EMs will produce a better finish on floors (more flutes means more scuffing and galling)
Tip: WD-40 works great when machining aluminum (y)

Edit: Dark cutting oil is best for tapping and reaming.
Don't ever waste time or $$ on Tap Magic. Pure garbage.

Last edited:
End mills with 3 or more flutes are finishing tools (walls)
2-flute HSS EMs work great for ruffing aluminum. They even do a decent job finishing walls as long as the surface isn't too fussy and your tool is still sharp after ruffing.
2-flute EMs will produce a better finish on floors (more flutes means more scuffing and galling)
Tip: WD-40 works great when machining aluminum (y)
Try kerosene 😉
Even better

Once you get one working, do you plan to sell them?
Nah everything conjured up in the US gets copied instantly (if it works) & sold by foreign companies directly on the major platforms here. America is giving away her manufacturing capability faster than ever & there's nothing to stop it, it's inexorable (not a political statement in any way, it's just where we're at on the curve: used to make just about all manufactured goods on the planet, now getting outcompeted).

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT