Tuning Hoppes #9 for cleaning?

Hello everyone,

I'm getting some uncharacteristic (bad) grouping. Cleaned the barrel and it's a bit better but not anywhere as good as I'm used to. I've been using Ballistol only to clean the barrel. 

Is there anything that should prevent me from using Hoppes #9 to clean my barrel. It's a Uragan .25... or any of my air guns for that matter. 

Thanks

The only way I would use hoppes is to remove the barrel and take out the O-ring in the barrel if there is one. You don’t want that stuff getting into the O-rings or anywhere else in your gun. Some people will use a brass brush but I would only use Nylon one myself.If you’re getting any leading in the barrel that’s decreasing accuracy then it might work better.And after using it clean your barrel with some alcohol to remove any residue left of it. I know it works good on powder burners but you don’t have to worry about O-rings there. There will be other people here that will I have different opinions. But I wouldn’t have no problem using it as long as the barrel was out of the gun.

Hello everyone,

I'm getting some uncharacteristic (bad) grouping. Cleaned the barrel and it's a bit better but not anywhere as good as I'm used to. I've been using Ballistol only to clean the barrel. 

Is there anything that should prevent me from using Hoppes #9 to clean my barrel. It's a Uragan .25... or any of my air guns for that matter. 

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing about Hoppe’s products. What do you use to clean your barrel along with the Ballistol?

You people can do what you wanna do but I would rather be safe than sorry. Manufacturers of the air guns will tell you not to use petroleum based products in airguns. I’ve seen people use three in one oil in their air guns and eventually they did fail after two or three years. Would They have failed if they didn’t use three in one oil anyway?Don’t know for sure.I’m just not going to recommend somebody to do something like that though. I seen where the people put their O-rings in hoppes for a day and looked at the O-rings and they looked OK. Well that’s not long-term use. If you’re one of those people that don’t mind tearing your gun apart from time to time go for it then. But I don’t tear my guns down until they actually need it.

I think cleaning a barrel is a bit like brushing your teeth, the kind of toothpaste isn't nearly as important as the brush. I have used most of the products mentioned, they all work fine, but I always remove the the barrel and breech seal. I've used both nylon and bronze brushes, they both work well, and neither will harm the barrel. That said, I find that most air rifle barrels seldom, if ever need cleaning with a brush. I shoot only standard power, cut rifled barrels. I expect that HP rifles with poly barrels are a different matter. 

I tried, Hoppes, the other day for the first time in my Superior Heavy Liner. OMG, the lead and the crud that it dug out! I also used a nylon brush with a few drops of Hoppes for a few passes. I went back through with my usual concoction of Kleenbore and Kroil, 1:1. and finished with some dry patches. The liner shot great after breaking back in.

Reactions: monstr2
Never brushes. Always soft cotton patches with WD-40 then finish with rubbing alcohol and dry patches.

LITTLE of either WD40 or alcohol. TIGHT PATCHES!!!

I agree with regard to the great majority of barrels. But, some with heavier fouling tendencies are extremely difficult to clean with patches. I suppose if the patches were tight enough, and used on a jag with a rod, you might eventually get it clean. But a brush with solvent will do it much faster and, in most cases, more completely, at least that has been my experience.

Never brushes. Always soft cotton patches with WD-40 then finish with rubbing alcohol and dry patches.

LITTLE of either WD40 or alcohol. TIGHT PATCHES!!!

I agree with regard to the great majority of barrels. But, some with heavier fouling tendencies are extremely difficult to clean with patches. I suppose if the patches were tight enough, and used on a jag with a rod, you might eventually get it clean. But a brush with solvent will do it much faster and, in most cases, more completely, at least that has been my experience.

Ok that makes sense. I'd like to take a bore scope look through my Taipan Vet, just curious if I am missing gunk. Shoots well but maybe I should try a brush?

Nervous about any brush other than nylon.

Yeah, don’t overthink cleaning a pellet gun. Just use common sense. If you can’t or don’t want to pull your barrel for cleaning, just clean your gun upside down. Keep that TP facing up. I use the real deal products to clean my guns. I just make sure to ball up the patch and wring it out before running it through.
image_2.1612973989.jpg
Nylon brushes when necessary but not very often.

It is better to remove the barrel to do a deep cleaning. That way there is no issues with the O-ring or brushes damaging it. Regardless, have the gun upside-down to prevent any cleaner from running down into the port/gun. I always replace the breech O-ring at the time of deep cleaning, It is a very important O-ring that sees lots of abuse. You should be following up with alcohol afterwards for a final rinse regardless of the poison(s) selected to clean out the lead fouling with. Also, but optional/recommended, following up with some good carnauba floor wax (Trewax Clear) to seal up any micro scratches within the bore after cleaning to extend the time between deep cleaning routines. Let the projectiles polish the wax for you inside the bore with a few shots. Always consider a few shots through the bore after a thorough cleaning before analyzing any groups or accuracy results from the cleaning to give some settling time of the new lead being laid down when shooting.

If you use Hoppes or any other petroleum based product, just make sure the isn't any residue that might vaporize during shooting. The danger is that the petroleum based products could combust under the high pressures airguns work at.

No biggie if you are careful, but that's the kind of dieseling that could damage that high powered gun.

Just my opinion,