Hot rodded Smith & Wesson 78g

Pale_Rider

Feb 16, 2019
US
 I was going to send it off to Timmy at Mac 1 Airguns to get worked on but decided to take a crack at it myself. Here’s everything I did to it:

1) Install upgraded poppet/valve stem

2) Swap stock valve spring for lighter one

3) Replace stock TP with 1/4” poly tube

4) Ported valve, barrel, and transfer to 11/64” (angled barrel and valve port for better flow)

Before the mods it was getting

488 FPS (7.6 fpe) with 14.3 JSB 

After the mods it’s getting

554 FPS (9.7 fpe) with JSB 14.3

540 FPS (10.3 fpe) with Hades 15.89

Shot string:

(1) 550

(2) 554

(3) 551

(4) 553

(5) 552

(6) 551

(7) 542

(8) 528

(9) 526

(10) 518

(11) 531

(12) 535

(13) 528

(14) 538

(15) 537

(16) 553

(17) 528

(18) 503

(19) 504

(20) 524

(21) 491

(22) 510

(23) 505

(24) 481

(25) 438

I was happy with the power I was getting and the consistency wasn’t too bad for a “high power” co2 pistol. What’s power without accuracy though. So I setup at 10 yards and was able to shoot three 5 shot groups before the sun went down. 
4F4347AD-69C8-4190-A6C5-A4D65F7D6305.1614220750.jpeg

Best group out of the 3

4E6CE444-5A1D-4E8A-8469-E66C324AE7D9.1614220751.jpeg

Thanks Bio. Those forest green grips are going to look purdddy on the s&w. It was difficult for me to leave it stock. I’ve got a problem where I can’t leave certain guns alone. Not to the point where I’m trading too much shot count and consistency for power though. With the 78g I traded 40% of my shot count for a 30% gain in power. I don’t remember how consistent the stock 78g is but I don’t think I lost any consistency. Do you have any shot strings from yours?

Hi Kevin...how Sexy can you make a 78G ?

Most folks like to keep them Original like when First Produced...

I think Custom Grips would be a Plus, Maybe some sort of Suppresor like a TKO...A Custom Trigger like the TKO 1911...and Definately a Reflex low mounted Red Dot, like a HoloSun....

Nothing to make a better shooter of it, shoots great as is... just to make it stand out a little more...

Let us know what you decide... 

Chuck

My only mods are a Mac1 valve and a red dot sight. I'm the original owner and the stock barrel is plenty accurate for me at 5 meters. No scientific data, but I believe that the Mac1 valve makes a huge difference. The rds was a recent addition. It was uber cheap and has only two brightness settings and took me considerable practice to get used to it. 

A bright dot is much like driving into oncoming headlights. I bought a second rds, a UTG from Bud's, for my C600 that has 8 brightness settings and it makes a world of difference. That sight will probably be moved the the SW78G this weekend.
red dot 1.1614443679.jpg
SW78G 5 meters.1614443697.jpg

Roboslug those grips look better than the walnut! 

You’re a patient man learning how to shoot with that 2 setting red dot. I would’ve gave up on it after a few minutes. I have a UTG micro red dot that is worlds better than the cheap “Walther” ones I had. It doesn’t have different types of dots to choose from but the dot is crisp and it has a push button to cycle thru the brightness settings. It even conveniently remembers your last brightness setting, just push the button and you’re ready to go

My only mods are a Mac1 valve and a red dot sight. I'm the original owner and the stock barrel is plenty accurate for me at 5 meters. No scientific data, but I believe that the Mac1 valve makes a huge difference. The rds was a recent addition. It was uber cheap and has only two brightness settings and took me considerable practice to get used to it. 

A bright dot is much like driving into oncoming headlights. I bought a second rds, a UTG from Bud's, for my C600 that has 8 brightness settings and it makes a world of difference. That sight will probably be moved the the SW78G this weekend.
red dot 1.1614443679.jpg
SW78G 5 meters.1614443697.jpg

Where does one locate a rail mount like that for a 78G. Been looking through the internet and nothing so far?

Roboslug those grips look better than the walnut! 

You’re a patient man learning how to shoot with that 2 setting red dot. I would’ve gave up on it after a few minutes. I have a UTG micro red dot that is worlds better than the cheap “Walther” ones I had. It doesn’t have different types of dots to choose from but the dot is crisp and it has a push button to cycle thru the brightness settings. It even conveniently remembers your last brightness setting, just push the button and you’re ready to go

Thanks, Vern doesn't make a set of bad looking grips. 

Where does one locate a rail mount like that for a 78G. Been looking through the internet and nothing so far?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/smith-and-wesson-79g-78g-picitanny-rail-ready-to-ship-/174526739396

Thanks, I googled every description I could think of and looked at ebay and nothing came up. This helps. I have two of those guns and want to try a red dot on one and see how much better I might be able to shoot. My old eyes are not the best, and a red dot has helped some shooting a little micro 9mm.

Thanks, I googled every description I could think of and looked at ebay and nothing came up. This helps. I have two of those guns and want to try a red dot on one and see how much better I might be able to shoot. My old eyes are not the best, and a red dot has helped some shooting a little micro 9mm.

No problem. The red dot should help shoot better. I like putting a 2x pistol scope on there too

Y’all have good taste. Robo, me and you got the same green camo laminated grips in our 78g’s but mine have incurred some chipping and wish I’d gone with solid wood.
I have a older worn 78g and one that looks right out of the package. The older one is dialed and lethally accurate but the mint one wants me to raise those rear sites quite a bit to dial in the sites. What could be causing this? Do I need to shim the front to raise the barrel?

Nice looking pistol. I picked up a 79G here for an excellent prize. No box or manual, but in near new condition. I don't think it had been fired in a decade or more. All the seals were completely dried up so I picked up a reseal kit that came with a peek poppet valve, gave the barrel a good cleaning and polished it up and it's shooting the 7.87gr 177s @ 400fps with just 1 turn in on the hammer spring.

It's a very good pellet pistol - much better than most current CO2 pistols. Definitely one that should be part of any vintage collection.

Vintage 10-16 - 1.jpeg

Last edited: